SPAM POSTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

toonfan2005

Reaction score
There becoming a joke, making site a hassle to use at times. Dont click on the links to view, could be anything in them.

Most of them are done with SEO purposes in mind, as a way of mass generating incoming links to a page or site. The big problem with them is that "spun", which gets them through even the better spam filters.

Bear in mind you've likely only seen about 20% of them, if that. The amount of spam I've had to delete in the last few weeks is verging on ridiculous.We're discussing how exactly to handle it now. Not a huge amount we can do other than just delete them ASAP as they come up, unfortunately. Actually I'll take this opportunity to say thanks for all the reported posts guys, but you don't need to report every single spam post you see, just one each time you see a block come up with do it.

Bear in mind you've likely only seen about 20% of them, if that. The amount of spam I've had to delete in the last few weeks is verging on ridiculous.We're discussing how exactly to handle it now. Not a huge amount we can do other than just delete them ASAP as they come up, unfortunately. Actually I'll take this opportunity to say thanks for all the reported posts guys, but you don't need to report every single spam post you see, just one each time you see a block come up with do it.

You could include additional verification steps at the time of posting but then captcha bots are smarter than 90% of the users here...

There becoming a joke, making site a hassle to use at times. Don't click on the links to view, could be anything in them.

Not a lot we can do other than ride it out currently. We have maxed out on sign up verification etc.

Captchas etc on a post by post basis are an option but very restrictive on normal members, also there is no guarantee that it would have an impact.

We are always trying to find new ways to stop the spam. Our best weapon is to delete them as we come across them. I would say the majority of them are deleted within a minute of being posted, so most people wouldn't see them. I have just deleted 50+ that have been posted in the past hour or so.

Jake

Last edited:
Would it be better just for now to be only allowed to have a certain amount of posts before being allowed to start a new thread as thet seem to be as new threads that are spam. Only a short term remedy until a proper solution is found.

Captchas etc on a post by post basis are an option but very restrictive on normal members, also there is no guarantee that it would have an impact.

They're also not going to stop the dedicated ones, most of whom will happily employ a few workers in India to manually solve them all day. Same for email verification etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.