Spitting on pitch 'is flu risk'

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 693

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Bolton reveal four players have recovered from swine flu while their Carling Cup opponents Chelsea are unconcerned about claims that Blackburn players could have passed on the virus.

More...

They were talking about this on SkySportsNews earlier, mainly saying that if you were caught spitting on the pavement infront of a policemen you'd be arrested so they shouldn't do it on the pitch otherwise it makes kid's think it's okay, pretty good point really

****, the amount i spit on a pitch in a year, the whole country would be laying in bed every morning with swine!

I don't do it on pavements though, anyone that does that should lick it back up.

But when you have been running for 90Minutes you do sometimes need to Spit so you cant really help it

They were talking about this on SkySportsNews earlier, mainly saying that if you were caught spitting on the pavement infront of a policemen you'd be arrested so they shouldn't do it on the pitch otherwise it makes kid's think it's okay, pretty good point really

it is a good point for the kid's sake but you can't actually pass it on unless you spit in their face or at them.

But when you have been running for 90Minutes you do sometimes need to Spit so you cant really help it

yeah it's very hard to swallow it back down when you're running

I never feel the need to spit while playing football unless i get a really nasty taste in my mouth, i find it fairly pointless

Yeah good point mate

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

it is a good point for the kid's sake but you can't actually pass it on unless you spit in their face or at them.
Well no, if you think about it, a player spits on the grass, a minute of two after a player falls after a tackle something or and puts his hand in it and doesn't notice, then puts his hand near his mouth and then he could get the germs, seems a bit unlikely, but it could easily happen

Yeah good point mate

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Well no, if you think about it, a player spits on the grass, a minute of two after a player falls after a tackle something or and puts his hand in it and doesn't notice, then puts his hand near his mouth and then he could get the germs, seems a bit unlikely, but it could easily happen

it would have dried in by then

Yeah good point mate

okay, the point i was trying to make was unless it goes into the other players' mouth then there really isn't any risk. And the spit would have soaked in, as already mentioned, and there will only be very small amounts, not enough to make you ill.

flu ain't gonna kill you though, im not afraid of flu

yeah like lewis edward said it has only killed people with underlying illnesses it's not gonna kill a footballer.

Back