Spontaneous Human Combustion.

• Thread starter Thread starter W4FC B3N
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1K

W4FC B3N

Reaction score
BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Does spontaneous human combustion exist?

Quite an interesting subject with some fascinating comments which make you think. It's an old thread which I stumbled accross after reading this on the BBC news site;

BBC News - 'First Irish case' of death by spontaneous combustion

A comment I find particularly intersting is this;

To say the body is mostly water is misleading. 18.5 percent of human body weight is comprised of carbon, which is the backbone of organic molecules. 65 percent is Oxygen. That is quite a flammable combination given the right circumstances. It is what those circumstances are that is a mystery. Could it be a simple malfunction of the spleen, which controls homeostasis (the body's ability to regulate temperature)?
Ella Potter, Oxford, England

Do you think it's 'humanly' possible?

I don't believe in spontanious human combustion to be honest. Though after last nights curry, I am currently experiencing spontanious **** combustion :(

Friday's are always pretty slow at work, just waiting for 3:30 since the second I wake up XD.

hahhaa, no I dont but I like to believe it is possible..

lol ajt :P come to Durban, South Africa :) you will know what hot curries are

If your body is failing to regulate temperature to the point it can spontaneously ignite oxygen, then you're going to be ****** even if you don't turn into a giant fireball.

Most cases are poorly studied, relying on witness accounts and little else. Usually there is an external ignition source (cigarettes etc.)

Iv heard of it before but it usually involves beer and matches :P

So it our time to become like the Human Torch. :P

Human+torch.PNG
fantastic-four-4.jpg

tl;dr The wick effect is an interesting tidbit of science, albeit somewhat gruesome. I find that the logical pitfall of calling either type of SHC "spontaneous", and instead recognizing why they're not, is even more interesting.

must be because of the drink causing this combustion whilst breathing.

Back