Spurs January transfer window 1st season

I am currently 2nd in my first season with Spurs and just coming into the january transfer window. I am only 2 points from top but my main priority is to earn a Champions League place and there are only 2 points seperating me in 2nd and Arsenal in 6th. The board have just given me 21.5 million to strengthen the squad but I have no idea where to spend the money. I have been using a 4-2-3-1 system and have been scoring at will but unfortunately I have also conceeded a fair few. This confuses me as I feel my defence is pretty solid. I have a decent squad with 2 adequate players for each position.

This is my current squad:
GK:
Gomes (1st choice and has done a solid enough job)
Friedel
Cudicini

DR:
Walker
Corluka

DL:
Baines
Assou-Ekottu

DC:
King
Dawson
Subotic
Gallas
Bassong

CM:
Parker
Sandro
Huddlestone
Modric
Livermore

AMR:
Lennon
Afellay

AML:
Bale
Krancjar (was planning to sell but has been phenomenal whilst Bale was injured)

AMC:
Van Der Vaart
Eriksen (just signed for 10 million)

ST:
Adebayor
Defoe
Paloschi

Does anybody have any ideas where I could spend this cash or shall I just sit on it and hope for a bigger budget next summer? Any recomendations on who to buy or sell would be helpful. If anyone has any suggestions for how to plug my leaky defence, I would also be grateful

Thanks

Hmmm hard one... I'd suggest selling VDV unless he's on form, cos he's getting old and you could swap Eriksen and whoever you get each game, suggestions;
Jack Wilshere(If ya can)
Eden Hazard
Samir Nasri?
Mario Goetze
Toni Kroos

Van der Vaart has been pretty useful so dont really plan to sell him on. Do you have any ideas of how I could improve defensively as I have conceeded a lot more goals than any of my rivals

Erm like pjwal, are there any defenders who aren't playing as good as expected? I'd suggest maybe selling Bassong, Gallas or King, sell the two as they're getting older and you should replace them with someone like Shawcross or Cahill? Both should ost less than £10,000,000

I was thinking of selling Bassong but was planning to wait until the summer as I have Caulker coming back from Swansea. I will probably replace Gallas with a younger CB in the summer as well. King is probably my best CB but due to his fitness levels he can only really manage one game a week so more often than not my pairing is Dawson and Subotic. Can you recommend any good youngish CB's for around the 15 million mark?

Try selling cudicini and byuing a 15-17 year wonderkid gk. Also try selling bassong, gallas or king and byu a player such as hummels, papadopoulos or rakyitskiy.

Im spurs too, got rid of gallas and king because of age. For a young defender, i brought in ezequiel (sp?) munoz and never looked back. Keep bassong, not too many quality left footed defenders about and he is one of them. To help out the leaky defence, id also lool at signing a ball winning midfielder - try naindoglain (sp again, sorry not got fm on me, plays for cagliari) or gabi mundagyi

Back