• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 817

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Injury-plagued defender Jonathan Woodgate could play his last match for Tottenham against Birmingham on Sunday.

More...

Its a shame to see how much time he has been out with injuries, if he was injury free he would be one of the top english defenders.

Feel sorry for the guy. I think if he does leave Spurs, another club should pick him up. Once he fully regains his fitness, he'll undoubtedly show he's a quality defender-if he does regain it. If not, such a waste of talent. Shame that such an injury could destroy his career.

Maybe another return to Middlesbrough? He managed to stay injury free for 18 months there..

Spurs need another CB without doubt. Hope he finds a new club.

shame think it went down hill when signed for madrid hope some one signs him is still quality CB imo

Should never have acted like a *nt with his hometown club tbh. Glad he had injuries, he has betrayed us twice now he was adored, paid well and had regular football when we were top half prem team AND we were UEFA Cup regulars. There will always be a place for him here since hes a local lad and was raised a short walk from the stadium but my god the lad knows how to hurt his own fans. First of all he went to Leeds? Then Newcastle? Then he comes back, has the best spell of his career imo then he jumps ship with the first better offer he gets?

Mowbray will try and tempt him I hope, would love to see him pay Boro back for the support we gave and his career was boosted while at the club. Karmas a ***** Johnny...Karma's a *****.

Should never have acted like a *nt with his hometown club tbh. Glad he had injuries, he has betrayed us twice now he was adored, paid well and had regular football when we were top half prem team AND we were UEFA Cup regulars. There will always be a place for him here since hes a local lad and was raised a short walk from the stadium but my god the lad knows how to hurt his own fans. First of all he went to Leeds? Then Newcastle? Then he comes back, has the best spell of his career imo then he jumps ship with the first better offer he gets?

Mowbray will try and tempt him I hope, would love to see him pay Boro back for the support we gave and his career was boosted while at the club. Karmas a ***** Johnny...Karma's a *****.

very very bitter comment.The fact is he was better than Boro. Only injuries stopped him from being one of the best centrebacks in europe, because when fit he showed it

Shame, he is a quality Defender who probably deserved better from his career, hope he finds a new club

very very bitter comment.The fact is he was better than Boro. Only injuries stopped him from being one of the best centrebacks in europe, because when fit he showed it

Of course I'm bitter we got relegated the next year without him lol.

Not entirely his fault but I mean I don't see Sampdoria's boys jumping ship after relegation, he's a Middlesbrough boy and a childhood fan but he goes and plays for our 2 closest rivals then comes back home and plays outstanding (Boros greatest CB since Mowbray IMO), then his agent literally works for a move away to Spurs and when it goes through he gets plagued by injuries and Boro get relegated the following year.

Just like to see a bit of loyalty to the club who helped your career and when the saviour of MFC the team he supports (Gibson) says 'please give me one more season Johnny, Wheaters not quite good enough yet and we need a rock at the centre of the defence.' And you turn your back and move to spurs then thats not right in my opinion. Obviously don't like the fact hes had injuries marring his England career but he never had any problems at Boro so why leave when he was so happy? Just can't understand players, especially when we paid him 40k a week in wages. Not bitter for the lad just very disappointed, we normally support our boys that move on Johnson, Downing, Cattermole, Morrison, Wheater because most of them stayed and gave the club all they could especially Stewie Downing but Woodgate seems like he used us to an extent and it really hurt everyone when he left.

Really, really hope he comes home though would be amazing to see him back at Teesside.

Last edited:
Shame really. Quality player when fit. It is better from Spurs point of view to offload him..

they look like losing bassong too

Exactly - I said it when I posted the Bassong article in the TR thread. Gallas (inconsistent, injury-prone, getting old), Kaboul and Dawson (also injury prone - along with King but I don't think he'll last very long unfortunately) isn't enough depth at the back. They, like us, need a new CB.

Come back and relive the glory days with Leeds. We need better defenders and he would be amazing. Highly unlikely but I don't care. Come back Woody!

Exactly - I said it when I posted the Bassong article in the TR thread. Gallas (inconsistent, injury-prone, getting old), Kaboul and Dawson (also injury prone - along with King but I don't think he'll last very long unfortunately) isn't enough depth at the back. They, like us, need a new CB.

Since when has Dawson been injury prone? LOL

along with King but I don't think he'll last very long unfortunately

King is just absolute class. Absolute shame that injuries have blighted both those players' careers as they both have so much ability.

Come back and relive the glory days with Leeds. We need better defenders and he would be amazing. Highly unlikely but I don't care. Come back Woody!
Middlesbrough > Leeds my Yorkshire friend ;)

Middlesbrough born and raised was Woody, as long as no utter ******* team like Wolves goes in for him I can see him coming to the Championship. He will probably get offers from Celtic/Rangers but I hope he says no and joins his hometown club...AGAIN lol

It was playing for the Boro he stayed injury free, played for England the most, looked like a top notch European defender...Then again Boro used to be a top notch European team until Southgate was put in charge.

Back