Stabaek: 'The Academy of Football'

FMViola

Reaction score
So, as first posts go, I guess I'm being very ambitious by introducing myself to the community with the opening post to my new save. I have been holding back on starting this story for a while, as I wanted to acquaint myself with the game (and have some fun with Austria Wien). But now I feel that the timing is right to get a new journey underway - and to document my adventures on FM Base for my first ever 'Managers Story' thread. Exciting times, eh!

My choice of club for this new save had to fall under a certain criteria:
1) Has a reputation for developing players through their youth setup
2) Haven't earned much in terms of silverware and domestic honours
3) Largely considered underdogs or 'underachievers' - Harsh, I know, but there's nothing like a fairy tale story

So, after spending a few hours going through the database of European leagues, I found my club and figured where better than to settle with Stabaek in Norway!

View attachment 573511

Time For A Closer Look...

Founded in 1912. Stabaek (or Stabaek Fotball if we're going by the club's full name) currently compete in the Eliteserien, the top division in Norwegian football. Despite the club being over a hundred years old, Stabaek won their first Eliteserien title in 2008 - which continues to be their only top flight league title to date. Coupled with a lone Norwegian Cup title (1998) and a Superfinalen (2009) honour to their name, the cup cabinet is somewhat empty compared to those of other clubs in the Eliteserien. Since the late noughties, Stabaek have often found themselves flirting with relegation on numerous occasions; and have failed to mount a serious title challenge to date.

Something has to change... (yeah, you know where this is going). It's up to me, FM Viola, to start turning around the misfortune for this club. And on my way to accomplishing this mighty task, I have attached a set of challenges to keep me focused along the way:

The Five Season Plan:
- Establish a transfer policy of signing Norwegian players aged 21 or under
- Field a First team only consisting of players with Norwegian nationality
- Lift consecutive Eliteserien titles with Stabaek
- Continue to develop the club's facilities and be the best of the rest

The Ten Season Plan:
- Revise the club's transfer policy to develop Norwegian players through the youth academy
- Field a First team only consisting of Stabaek Academy Players
- Have 10 or more Academy Players capped by the Norway national team
- Have a foothold in continental club football

The targets are fairly straightforward, but are also streamlined enough to ensure that I can manage my time (and focus) well enough, so that I do not get side-tracked or bogged down which could result in an unfinished save.

I'm absolutely ecstatic to be getting my Norwegian adventure underway (and hopefully a few of you will be joining me on the road ahead).

In my next update, I will be going over the current status of the Stabaek First Team and our Pre-Season preparations. But, until then, thank you for taking the time out of your day to read through the intro to my adventure.

Until the next update,

FM Viola.