Stade de Reims - The Reimarkable Comeback

simon33

Reaction score
The Story
The first European Cup in 1955/56 featured sixteen teams from sixteen countries who were selected by French newspaper L'Equipe. The French representatives were Stade Reims. After winning three Ligue 1 titles in the previous seven seasons, Reims were the big dogs in France. In the straight knockout that was the first European Cup, Reims eased into the final, never really being threatened. And then came the ultimate test. Real Madrid. Reims led 2-0 after ten minutes. Real pulled it back within the half hour. The French side took the lead after 60 minutes but two late goals from the Spanish giants saw them win the trophy.

After that season, Reims would sign the legendary French striker Just Fontaine. The next two seasons would see Nice and St-Etienne represent France but in 1958/59, Reims were back in what was quickly becoming the continent's biggest tournament. With numerous members of the 1958 French World Cup squad at their disposal, they were tipped to make a deep run in the Champions League. After all, Fontaine had just scored 13 goals in 6 games at the World Cup. He would score another 10 in the Champions League as Reims made another final. But again, they fell short. And again, it was Alfredo di Stefano and Real Madrid.

Since that final, the Reims team stayed successful for another five or so years. But once the Golden Generation of the 1958 World Cup squad started ageing, the fortunes of the once-famous club turned. Relegation followed in 1963/64, just a year after finishing runners-up in the league. In 1979, the side were relegated and in 1991 they were forced to liquidate and be reborn.

It's been a long way back to Ligue 1, but Reims made it. And now, I'm aiming to replicate the success of the 1950s side and take them back to the top of French football. And hopefully I can go one step further than that superb team and win the Champions League. This is the Reimarkable Comeback.

This Season
We're predicted a 10th-place finish and the squad feels very much like a mid-table side. There's no real established stars with only a couple of guys with any real potential. Tactically I'm going for a slightly altered version of 1-2-2-3-3 Tweebier plug and play great results. Playing with one DM and two CMs instead of three CMs. I've told the board I'd like a top-half finish but secretly I've dreams of reaching one of the valuable Europa League places.

Transfers
View attachment 192056

I've gone for mostly young South American guys. I believe that these guys can make an impact right now on this team and also be serious players down the line when we're hopefully in Europe. Thiago Maia is an excellent protector of the back line, Gino Peruzzi fits perfectly at RWB, Lucas Romero is a stud as a roaming playmaker and Alisson is a top keeper for a decent price. Also brought in Brazilian hitman Adriano on a one-year deal! I've mostly gone for little bit of money up front + money over 48 months to spread the cost. I've brought in two loans in Paddy McNair (definitely a homer pick as I'm from Northern Ireland) and Alassane Plea who replaced David N'Gog.

In the out pile, I've let go of Aissa Mandi, my best defender. I felt that I needed the money more than I needed the player. As previously mentioned, former Liverpool striker N'Gog has been told to Pack Up N'Gog.

The Squad
So, after a busy window, how is the Reims side looking. Well here you go.

View attachment 192055

This is close to my best starting 11. It's pretty weak in some places but others make up for it!

What next?
I'll be posting a recap of the first half of the season tomorrow. Thanks for looking at my first ever post on fm-base. I hope you enjoy reading this series as much as I enjoy writing it.

Simon.

Plea is a monster, good work on getting him in. Some decent signings there, always been a fan of these sorts of saves *did one a while back with ASSE, and won a Champions league with them*.

Plea is a monster, good work on getting him in. Some decent signings there, always been a fan of these sorts of saves *did one a while back with ASSE, and won a Champions league with them*.

I managed to get Plea with an option to buy for 2.5m - cracking so far. Thanks for reading mate.

The Christmas Recap
View attachment 1007623

What a start to life in Reims! We lead the league at Christmas, going way beyond what I thought was possible with
this side. We've taken advantage of what has been, truthfully, a league without much real quality. PSG haven't lived up to billing, Monaco's young side with future stars have failed to kick on while Rennes and St Etienne have provided the biggest challenge to our lead. But Reims are ready to charge on into the second half of the season with a chance at silverware.

Despite our largely positive start, our defence has been a worry. 26 goals conceded in just 18 games is troublesome. Particularly the games away to Nantes (0-4) and Guingamp (0-3) were very poor. This is mostly down to our style which involves the full backs bombing down the wings and leaving our two fairly weak CBs exposed. I've tried to combat this by employing Thiago Maia as DM and it's worked usually with those two games being outliers rather than the rule this season.

View attachment 1007636

We began life with a really nice 4-2 win at Bordeaux. I figured these guys would be the benchmark as they usually finish around the top 6 somewhere. We followed that with a lovely 2-1 win against Marseille - filling my side with a lot of confidence. Then we got smashed back down to earth with a thumping 0-4 reverse at Nantes. It was the worst performance of the season and we deserved to go down by four goals.

After beating Lorient in a tight game, we fell in back to back games against Toulouse and PSG so had 9 points after 6 games. Not an awful start but not the brightest of starts either.

Then came an early-season burst right when we needed it. 8 straight wins in all competitions including impressive victories at Lyon and at St-Etienne in Ligue 1 and at Toulouse in Coupe de la Ligue. The side was brimming with confidence and not even a disappointing 3-0 defeat at Guingamp could burst that bubble.

We entered into the festive period still in Coupe de la Ligue after a devastating 5-2 win against Rennes and despite the really grim pre-Christmas 3-2 loss at Bastia, we lead the league on the 25th December. With 12 wins, a draw and 5 losses from our opening eighteen games I'm really happy with how things are going.

The Squad
View attachment 1007637

It's fair to say that the new boys have made all the difference. Lucas Romero has been nothing short of sensational as a roaming playmaker in midfield. He plays very like a Vidal-type figure - getting involved in every single facet of the game. With 2 goals, 2 assists, five player of the match awards and a 7.93 rating in all competitions he has made himself undroppable.

Likewise Gino Peruzzi at RWB. With seven assists from his wing back berth, he's become the key provider for this side. Constantly getting forward but also among the league leaders with 5.94 tackles/game, he is a true all-rounder. Thiago Maia has been less impressive with only a 6.96 rating but I do give him a thankless task at DM with so many around him just concerned with attacking.

Of the original Reims players, Jaba Kankava, Gaetan Charbonnier and Grejohn Kyei have been great. And alongside Alassane Plea (9 in 13 games), they've been the main goal threats.

Some areas requiring improvement would be at LWB where Atila Turan has flattered to deceive at times, at CB where neither Antonio Conte or Adrian Weber look like a long-term option. And perhaps also some depth up front where we're a couple of injuries away from playing people way out of position.

The Aim
The aim has pretty much remained the same. I personally don't know if our current form is good enough to win the league especially if PSG come good. So at this stage, I'd still be happy with sealing a Europa League place. Finances are very tight so incomings are solely dependent on the sales of players.

I'll be back hopefully tomorrow with a recap of everything that has happened and I'll leave it at game 30 and see where we're left with 8 games to go and hopefully still with a shot in both cup competitions.

Again, thanks for reading guys. Hope you enjoyed it. Allez le Reims!

Simon