Hrbl

Reaction score
I know this has been covered in a few threads, but I'm still a little unsure as to exactly how star ratings work (specifically, how they adapt over time.)

I.e. Apparently a player's PA can never change. If they have potential 175, they will always have that potential.

Therefore, how do players' reported stars for their PA decrease? Not simply as a result of your team improving, but more so. I.e., if I sign a wonderkid, and never train him for a few years, the game will obviously start saying he now has only 3* potential. But this goes against the idea that PA can never change? Is the game simply now saying that he will only reach 3* (therefore, is the game now reporting his Potential Reachable Ability, not his actual PA?)

On my FM game, I'm now 6 seasons in, and I've noticed that a lot of the wonderkids apparently present at the start of the game are merely 2* potential players now (due to poor training and clubs, etc). If I came in and bought them (let's say they're now 24ish), is the maximum they'll ever be a 2* player now, despite their original (and still) high PA?

Finally, I have players such as Papadopolous, with 18/19/20 in all the core stats required for their role, yet they are only reporting as 3.5* players. Compared to the likes of Marquinhos, he's a far better CB, yet Marquinhos destroys him in the ratings (4.5*). Do coaches report on their whole qualities (mental stats and technical ability) as part of their ability, even if their core stats (Marquinhos has poor heading) aren't as brilliant...?

I guess what I'm asking there is: Is Papadopolous a better CB than Marquinhos, despite having a lower CA and PA than him? Are the star ratings irrelevant sometimes? Can a 2* player perform as well as a 5* player at a role if they have the stats for it?

In principle, I understand the system. It's related to your players and stature, it's not an objective number. And I understand players may never reach their potential. But at times it seems a little baffling.

A final (associated) issue. PA is the maximum level a player can reach. Yet as players get older, their mental stats increase. So if they hit their PA, do their mental stats remain static, only increasing at the expense of other stats?

Thanks for any help!

Short answer: Ignore the star rating, do your own rating of players based on attributes and stats.

A few FM's ago I was obsessed with star ratings, and ended up selling good players because their star rating decreased so I could bring in new players with higher star rating. It was stupid, so now I only use the star rating as a general guideline and when scouting youngsters.