Started with Derby, ideas for tactics?

NatTheYid99

Reaction score
I'ma get straight to the point, i suck with tactics. I somehow managed to fluke tactics over the past 3 FM titles, winning the Serie A twice with Torino and making the Champions League final this year, however that save eventually became corrupted. I've now tried starting another save and I've tested a few teams and i've settled on Derby. But i don't want it to be another save where i can't pick the right tactics, reach the end of pre-season and end up getting sacked after losing a lot of games. So i come here now asking if anyone can tell me some good tactics to use for Derby, home and away, how i should play each player and such because i really suck. Thanks to anyone who helps in advance.

tactics

I used a 4-2-3-1 and won the championship, high tempo and push higher up then retain possession with short passing.

Not saying this is the only way to do it but it worked for me!
If you need any other advice im happy to help.

Another option could be this tactic (also won the Championship):
View attachment 229983

Recommended squad in the first season:
GK: Lee Grant
DR: Ryan Shotton
DC: Richard Keogh (captain)
DC: Jake Buxton
DL: it would be good to sign someone better than Craig Forsyth
MC(attack): Craig Bryson
MC(defend): Will Hughes or Jeff Hendrick
MC(attack): Will Hughes or Jeff Hendrick
AMR: Jamie Ward
AML: Johnny Russell
ST: Chris Martin

If you play full FM, it’s recommended to create additional more defensive version of this tactic (standard mentality or even lower) with “play narrower” TI.
If you play FMC, you can simply adjust mentality to the opponent and current situation and add “play narrower” TI against narrow formations.

This tactic uses wingers, so it’s better to have left footed player on the left wing and right footed player on the right wing. If you want to play left footed on the right side or right footed on the left side, change his role from Winger (Attack) to Inside Forward (Attack) – his PI’s can be the same as winger’s PI’s, only change his role.

Methods to make it even better:

• fullbacks should take corners
  • the best fullbacks are those who have “possesses long flat throw” PPM (you already have one: Ryan Shotton)

Last edited:
I've been doing quite well in the Championship with Brighton with this tactic of my own creation:

-------GK-------
------------------
--CBD--CBD--
------------------
-WBS---WBs-
------------------
------DMD-----
------------------
--CMA--CMS-
------------------
-IFA-------IFA-
-------------------
------DLFS------

Standard mentality, switched to Control for weaker teams and Counter for stronger.
Fluid movement.
Shorter passing, play out of defence, work ball into box, play wider, push higher up, close down more and higher tempo.

Most goals come from the two IF(A) with the DLF(S) racking up a pretty good assist tally.

At about 75 minutes, if we're up by one goal only, I'll switch the mentality to counter, drop deeper, lower tempo and retain possession. If I'm really being pushed I'll also put both CMs as CM(D) and play narrower to just flood the middle and prohibit space.

Top of the league at the moment at the end of the January window.

Interestingly it doesn't do too well against L1/L2 teams; I think it has something to do with the high defensive line but I need to tinker with it to be sure.