leftfield010

Reaction score
So i have been playing for years using other peoples and finally decided to grow a pair and start to design my own.

I have read loads and watched load and i have an initial thought on where i would like to start but would like some input on if i am on the right track

I want 2 versions of a 4231, an attacking version and a more defensive version with 2 DMs for playing away and against the top teams

I am Port Vale, 3rd season in prem with media prediction of 11

Home

G - Goalkeeper D
DL - WB (S)
DC - CD (D)
DC - CD (D)
DR - WB (S)
MC - CM (D)
MC - CM(S)
AML - IF A
AMC - AP (s)
AMR - IF A
S- AF A

Mentality - Control
Shape - Fluid
Instructions - Close down More, Higher Temp, Push higher up, retain possession

Pretty straightforward idea- close down on the ball, win it back and retain possession and probe for weakness

The away plan i have is

G - Goalkeeper D
DL - fb (S)
DC - CD (D)
DC - CD (D)
DR - fb (S)
DMC - A (D)
DMC - RPM(S)
AML - IF (s)
AMC - AP (a)
AMR - IF (s)
S- AF A

Mentality - Counter
Shape - Structured
Instructions - Stay on feet, higher tempo, pass into space

Idea is for 2 distinct units which keep their shape, use the RPM to counter quickly

Are their any glaring mistakes anywhere? The player i have are all well suited to the roles i have picked although i could probably use an upgrade at DR/L but they are not awful

Best to watch the matches yourself and see if players are doing what you want them to. If there are any specific issues, highlight them here and we'll do our best to help/advise.

So i have been playing for years using other peoples and finally decided to grow a pair and start to design my own.

I have read loads and watched load and i have an initial thought on where i would like to start but would like some input on if i am on the right track

I want 2 versions of a 4231, an attacking version and a more defensive version with 2 DMs for playing away and against the top teams

I am Port Vale, 3rd season in prem with media prediction of 11

Home

G - Goalkeeper D
DL - WB (S)
DC - CD (D)
DC - CD (D)
DR - WB (S)
MC - CM (D)
MC - CM(S)
AML - IF A
AMC - AP (s)
AMR - IF A
S- AF A

Mentality - Control
Shape - Fluid

Pretty straightforward idea- close down on the ball, win it back and retain possession and probe for weakness

The away plan i have is

G - Goalkeeper D
DL - fb (S)
DC - CD (D)
DC - CD (D)
DR - fb (S)
DMC - A (D)
DMC - RPM(S)
AML - IF (s)
AMC - AP (a)
AMR - IF (s)
S- AF A

Mentality - Counter
Shape - Structured
Instructions - Stay on feet, higher tempo, pass into space

Idea is for 2 distinct units which keep their shape, use the RPM to counter quickly

Are their any glaring mistakes anywhere? The player i have are all well suited to the roles i have picked although i could probably use an upgrade at DR/L but they are not awful

If there are any specific issues
o.png
(A)

G - Goalkeeper D
DL - WB (S)
DC - CD (D)
DC - CD (D)
DR - WB (S)
MC - CM (D)
MC - CM(S)
AML - IF A
AMC - AP (s)
AMR - IF A
S- AF A

Mentality - Control
Shape - Fluid

The best piece of advise I can give you is this..... explain to me exactly why you've picked those roles.
Why two wingbacks? Why pair a CM(d) with a CM(S) + the Wingbacks?
Why have two Wingbacks on (S) with two Inside Forwards on ( A ) Why not swap their duties?
Why is you're advanced forward and advanced forward?
IS there any point having an Advanced playmaker when you've two inside forwards?

I'm not tearing apart your tactic, I asking you to look at it and plan out why you're doing what you're doing? What's the reason for it? What's the plan? What's going on inside your head and what have you done to make the players perform in that manner?

Thanks guys, in answer to the questions,

I have been watching a few full games and the biggest issue i have is getting the ball out of defence, they give it away to often, and my striker seems very isolated.

Why did i pick the roles?

the Wing backs on S to give me a little more defensive stability, like i said they are probably the weakest part of my squad so didnt want to leave myself to exposed and the IF were on A to supplement my lone forward. the AMCs best role by far is AP so i thought i could use him as a crux and it seemed the best spot to have a play maker

the 2 MCs, i wanted one to act as a screen and hold position and the other to contribute to both attacking and defending so this seemed like the best fit

I have been watching a few full games and the biggest issue i have is getting the ball out of defence, they give it away to often, and my striker seems very isolated.
THEY is an extremely vague term. WHO is giving it away? Did he have passing options close by?

How much time was there to see and pick them out? Your passing is quite short at the back and you're playing a very high tempo (so little time on the ball) and asking the players to pass to feet only. Was there an option that fit this description?

Couple things off the top of my head and it sounds like you want to play out from the back. in a 4231your defenders will need a link to pass the ball to, like a deeplying playmaker, this along side a defensive central midfielder will give you a screen,a deep passing target who will actively look to drop deep and offer a passing option for your defenders.

Wingback on support is also a good option for possession oriented systems.