Reaction score
Im currently playing a 4231 flexible and standard. I switch to control / attack / counter depend on the match/situation

Ive taken Leeds from the championship to Europa league group stages in 3 years ( 1st...then 9th in the prem and 5th in the prem)

Overnight my 4231 has starting conceeding CCC's and creating very little, im conceeding alot from wide areas and crosses.

The idea is to tighten up my defense and then start working out my attacking patterns once im not conceeding so oftne

GK (D)

FB (S) CD (D) CD (D) FB (S)

CM (D) DLP (S)

W (S) APM (A) W (S)

AF (A)

Im conceeding alot from crosses and im not sure how to fix it...

Ive changed the instructions on my fullbacks to mark tighter hoping that they will stick tight to the wingers to prevent the cross

Ive set my front 4 asking to mark tighter and close down, i was hoping thay they wuld win the ball high up the pitch for a quick turnover. Also hoping that the wingers on support role will help the fullbacks defend.

The CM (D) is designed to shield the back four and win the ball back.

The DLP is designed to sit in front of the back four and over cover. Hopefully he can launch defense splitting passes to my front players.

My team instructions are :

Play out from the back ( i want to play the right way)
work ball into box (i was shooting from distance to often and i play with a stiker who is 5'8'' so crossing was pointless)
whipped crosses short striker with good movement might catch out the defence

any help would be appreciated

Start by looking at the situations. Deep crosses? By line crosses? From wingers or fullbacks? Where are the players who should be picking up this wide player? Are the passes to the wide player too easy in the first place, meaning the central midfielders are put under too little pressure?

Two other things from your post.

You say you want defence splitting passes by your DLP. Who will he be passing these to? It'll have to be players looking to break forward then, so who do you have that's doing that?

Secondly, just because a player is 5'8", doesn't mean you can't cross to him. The type of cross is important.