Reaction score
I'm having a problem with a few players in particular (Rodrigo and Eden Hazard seem to be the main culprits, but I've seen others do it too) that will pick up the ball in their own half and set off at warp speed towards my goal whilst my defenders part like the red sea and watch as they go screaming past. No matter what I try, nothing seems to encourage my defenders/midfielders to either put in a proper challenge and stop them dead or just to show them out wide or into an area where they're not so much of a threat.

I've tried adjusting tackling aggression, marking systems, stand off/pressing instructions, and still every time I play Chelsea, Eden Hazard rips my side to pieces (doesn't help that they also have the hilariously overrated Papiss Cisse in their side as well - 20 finishing/18 anticipation/18 off the ball? Really?) with his mazy runs.

I assume I'm probably doing something wrong, as I haven't seen too many others complaining about this one, so would anyone like to share a few tips to help me out before my laptop leaves the room through the window? :)

I'm having a problem with a few players in particular (Rodrigo and Eden Hazard seem to be the main culprits, but I've seen others do it too) that will pick up the ball in their own half and set off at warp speed towards my goal whilst my defenders part like the red sea and watch as they go screaming past. No matter what I try, nothing seems to encourage my defenders/midfielders to either put in a proper challenge and stop them dead or just to show them out wide or into an area where they're not so much of a threat.

I've tried adjusting tackling aggression, marking systems, stand off/pressing instructions, and still every time I play Chelsea, Eden Hazard rips my side to pieces (doesn't help that they also have the hilariously overrated Papiss Cisse in their side as well - 20 finishing/18 anticipation/18 off the ball? Really?) with his mazy runs.

I assume I'm probably doing something wrong, as I haven't seen too many others complaining about this one, so would anyone like to share a few tips to help me out before my laptop leaves the room through the window? :)

Eden Hazard is unstoppable m8, in one of my earlier Chelsea saves he played 53 games scored 43 goals and 32 assists or something like that, so dont do anything you will regret :)

But uhm, Park the bus? Deep D-Line, no-one runs up, 5-5-0 formation, tackling aggressive and Contain with Very rigid. If that doesnt help, then throw the laptop through the window.

Eden Hazard is unstoppable m8, in one of my earlier Chelsea saves he played 53 games scored 43 goals and 32 assists or something like that, so dont do anything you will regret :)

But uhm, Park the bus? Deep D-Line, no-one runs up, 5-5-0 formation, tackling aggressive and Contain with Very rigid. If that doesnt help, then throw the laptop through the window.

Pretty much this,but also the press more in the closing down department will help players get out of their place to attempt to recover the ball.

Yeah, after the first time we got whooped 7-0 by Chelsea, I figured I'd just park the bus and try and escape the away leg without getting embarrassed again, so I played 4-2-3-1 (2 DMCs, 3 MCs, 1 ST) and tried to defend deep and rigid, but same again - he just slaughtered me. The frustrating bit is that my defence isn't all that bad - Gary Cahill and Ahmed Hegazy at CB, with Ryan Bertrand and Glen Johnson at FB. Sure, they're not going to win me the Champions' League, but I'm kind of disappointed that there's more or less nothing I can do with four players of that quality to even slow down Eden Hazard. :-/

Ah, just did a bit of research on this one, and apparently it is a known issue with the ME. Double marking helps apparently. Doesn't make it any less frustrating in the meantime though. :p

Play with at least 1 DMC. Use low pressing. Guide him to the DMC. Manmark their wingbacks with your wingers if you can.

I once read that the difference between dutch FB defending and english FB defending is this:
- a dutch fb will keep the winger away from the middle, because the middle is more dangerous, con is the winger crosses more.
- an english fb will guide the winger towards the middle, where the DC or DMC will be closing down meaning the winger can only pass backwards.

Not a strange difference since the difference in overall playstyle: 433 technical vs 442 more based on physics (talking about the past dont want to offend anyone).

Seems the answer was always there :D.

@Targetpractise, it was mainly an issue with the last ME. 1325 'should' have helped a lot already and tbh I rarely as in almost never face this stuff. But then again I dont play vs the likes of hazard.

@ Kazm - Yeah, it's not happening every week - it's generally against very skilled dribblers that it becomes an issue, and whilst I don't expect to be able to completely shut down a player with the quality of Hazard, it does get kind of frustrating watching from the sidelines as my team does everything but wave him through. :p

Apparently though, there is an issue with players being more unwilling to tackle dribbling opposing players than they should be. Seems like SI are aware of it though, so I guess it'll get patched when they release the new fix.