Dickybran

Banned
Reaction score
I am getting seriously annoyed with Defoe straying offside time after time. I've tried nearly every setting for him. Having him run from deep rarely or often, poacher, complete striker, deep-lying, I've personally told him to stop (admittedly only about a month ago) but he's still doing it. Some games it's not so bad and he will grab a hattrick, but after times it's every time we knock the ball forward. Also, I have Chamakh who get into offside positions a bit too often as well.

Any advice???

If I woul have a striker that is "born" offside (Inzaghi) :) and I tried everything for him to stop doing that and still no result, than I would sell him. No player is ireplaceble, but this is what I would do. Good luck mate.

P.S Try to tweak the entire tactic a bit.

I have been thinking if it carries on I will sell. I've stopped playing him as much, but he's getting me 20+ goals a season. I'll stick with him for a bit longer.

Just drop the tempo, some players by the defintiion of how they play and their PPMs test the defenders more often with those sorts of runs. Often you get a lot of goals from rebounds from players making those sorts of runs, so I'd not bother too much. Messi seems to be offside loads for me, but scores 20 and makes 15+ a season. Also remember that you get a lot more offsides if you play with more posession than your opponent, so 5 offsides a game isn't too bad if you have 65% of posession, for example. I tend to dislike the PPM 'Tries to beat offside trap' as I play a slow tempo, much prefer 'Runs with the ball through centre'. Also if you reduce the creative freedom of the midfielders you can reduce the long balls coming in (don't do it for your main playmaker), which will reduce offsides from ambitious through balls from players who don't have the skill for it.

I generally play a slow tempo and I don't have many of my players playing through-balls very often. Both of you have mentioned about 5 offsides a game not being too bad, but honestly, Defoe is sometimes offside 10+ per game. More than 50% of the through balls to him are perfect but he always goes to early. Chamakh is only offside about 5 times per game which I can deal with. I think I may have to except he's just one of those players. Hopefully he will have listened to me and change his ways.

drop his mentallity back a bit until you ind the level that is optimal for him.

and hope that some smart programmer soon figures out how to program an offside rule that works in games, about ½ his offsides are not really offsides but a result of how offsides are programmed in all games atm

Yeah the offside rulings are really dodgy sometimes. I've had winger cross the ball from the byline and someone got on the end of it to score, but the winger was then given offside. A bit like real football sometimes!

I changed Defoe to an Advanced Forward and that has helped quite a bit. I'll give the mentality option a go as well.