Strange Results.....maybe its the beta???

DJAbacus

Reaction score
Hi All,

After playing these types of games when I was a kid, having just updated my PC and suddenly becoming aware that 'Steam' takes away a lot of the 'faff' of PC gaming, I decided to give FM 2015 a go...

Downloaded the beta and started playing unemployed , Sunday league and picked up a nice job at CS Balotescu in the Romanian 2nd Div...

Love all the options and features.......BUT......as I've have always wondered about these games...how much does your 'fiddling' really influence results??

I've been playing pre season, trying to build a better squad and of course there are things I'm not doing well, BUT when you lose 6-1 vs a team who is 50-1 to beat you...playing attacking football, as is a recommendation vs a weaker team...

If you gt it wrong you may on;y win by 1 or draw...but how can you lose 6-1??? There is no option to just sit down and do nothing...

After a 1-0 win vs a weaker team.....then losing 4-1 vs a team 33-1 to beat you....

Is this game all about looking good or is the match engine actually going to produce some sensible results...so far most games 6+ goals....

I'm hoping its just teething problems with FM2015 and the final FM2014 product was much was more life like?

Cheers DJ :S

Yeah...my initial reaction after 20 hours of play is there's a lot more buttons to press but at the end of the day it a beautifully presented, fairly addictive but unrealistic and pretty random simulation of being a football manager. Phones have come a long way in the last 20 years...football manager sims have a bit...not a criticiam, just a slightly disappointing reality....oh well...:)

Yeah...my initial reaction after 20 hours of play is there's a lot more buttons to press but at the end of the day it a beautifully presented, fairly addictive but unrealistic and pretty random simulation of being a football manager . Phones have come a long way in the last 20 years...football manager sims have a bit...not a criticism, just a slightly disappointing reality....oh well... :)

Huh?

Don't necessarily just choose Attacking because you're playing a weaker team. You might be playing right into their hands. Watch what happens in the game.

Don't necessarily just choose Attacking because you're playing a weaker team. You might be playing right into their hands. Watch what happens in the game.

LOL....yes mate.....when San Marino beat England 6-1 the other night....I though...Roy!!! Why are you attacking...this is playing right into their hands....

LOL....yes mate.....when San Marino beat England 6-1 the other night....I though...Roy!!! Why are you attacking...this is playing right into their hands....

Ah, but Roy wasn't playing an Attacking mentality. ;)

:)

Of course balancing everything to get the team playing just as they should be is going to be fun and a challenge...just can't see how I played that game so badly that as a 1-33 fav to win the game I lost 6-1. I was making loads of subs (preseason) and did change the tactics, touchline instructions etc...must be really bad one game and really good the next....just wanted an an honest answer about the realism but truth is no one knows....

Last edited:
The beta ME isn't perfect, and there are known issues with the defending and keeping, but it's certainly not random. I've tweaked my tactic and OI until I'm consistently telling teams to "get them britches down, boy." That won't last, but I win because my players are in a better position to score more goals. One the full release comes out, things will have to change, and I'll do so. People talk about tactics working only with the players you have, but I find once you've got a working tactic for a version, I find it usually only needs a slight tweak depending on the players you have. I thought, even by 14.3.1, the last FM ME was two pounds of **** in a one pound bag. I made it work though. Apart from the long shots and defending issues, the beta ME is looking pretty **** good.

I've tried conventional tactics the way they do them in real life every version of FM that's come out since the split with Eidos. Routinely it has failed. I now usually end up with a tactic that resembles a realism if you squint and hold a hand over one eye. One day, one may work, but not yet. I don't care as long as the goal distribution around the team is realistic, the numbers of goals per game for the tactics you play are realistic, players don't do silly things, and player hot spots on the field reflect where they would be in real life. If you have those things, the game will look and play fine. This version is closer to realism in terms of where the players do their thing on the pitch than any of the demos or beta in recent memory, and it's a more playable ME as a result.

If you've got problems with your team, I'd look at your team's width, as playing too wide is an issue right now. Opposition Instructions are now as important as formation, and can turn a mediocre tactic into a great one. Since the release, I'm being a mouthy disciple of setting those up for each game, but it absolutely works. Things will change for the beta, but for the ME it will be in terms of the mad events being toned down, and player reactions improved.

Fair enough, thanks for the comments all....that tactics guide looks really good......I'm pleased that there is a strong possibility that that loss was due to me and not the game....

the teams with the fake players with no attributes seem to dominate on my game.. very frustating - some examples of results on my game:
moldova u19 - poland u19 (13:0)
luxembourg u21 - poland u21 (8:0)

in CL/EL qualifying i was getting smashed by teams from sweden and iceland 8:0 on aggregate

The 'fiddling' as you call it does have an effect, look at how other teams are conceding their goals and exploit it

when you lose 6-1 vs a team who is 50-1 to beat you...playing attacking football, as is a recommendation vs a weaker team...

You know there could be an even simpler answer to this - that the odds are buggy. Hard to imagine a 2nd div Romanian side is that big a favourite...

That being said, it does take a while to figure out tactics, high scoring games are a distinct possibility when you play attacking, and the AI does sometimes punish you pretty hard if you do the latter before figuring out the former.

Yes, I believe you are right....the odds for those matches were way off, even though they were weaker opposition, but not that weak.

I've started with CS Balotesti also, and thoroughly enjoying it 12 games in :)

Now, I'm a long time player of this series, but I struggled at first with this new game, and ended up ditching a similar save with a french minnow. If you've not played for a while, I'd strongly advise having a go with a much stronger team, and getting to grips with the match engine and tactical side of the game.

If you wish to continue with Balotesti, let me know if I can advise you on anything.

Thanks....I'm a bit of a purist so managing someone like Liverpool wouldn't 'feel right'. Being relatively new at this game kind of fits with my 'in game profile'. I've hit the brakes just before the season starts and really looking at my players (new and existing) to see what could work. I'm using this guide and its really helpful.

Guide to Football Manager | FM 2015 Guide

As for fellow help. I would love to be able to ask little questions that crop up when I play about the mechanics of the game etc that are hard to find quickly and easily. So maybe I can add you as a friend and send you a PM every now and then. Regarding tactics and specific ideas about a specific team, that I want to discover for myself..this for me will increase the enjoyment...

Cheers
DJ