Ursulla

Reaction score
My assistant told me during match that the opponent is stretching out our defense line...When followed on his insight I was taken into my tactical formation but didn't know what is expected me to do there...
What does this mean exactly?
How could I order my team to stretching out their defense line ?
progress.gif

Last edited:
My assistant told me during match that the opponent is stretching out our defense line...When followed on his insight I was taken into my tactical formation but didn't know what is expected me to do there...
What does this mean exactly?
How could I order my team to stretching out their defense line ?
progress.gif

It means they are using width effectively e.g wingers and overlapping fullbacks. I assume if you want to stretch out their defence then you should do the same. aslo perhaps have a false nine so the OP centreback doesnt know wheather to hold his position or close down the F9. thus allowing space for an attacking mid or a strike partner.

It means they are using width effectively e.g wingers and overlapping fullbacks. I assume if you want to stretch out their defence then you should do the same. aslo perhaps have a false nine so the OP centreback doesnt know wheather to hold his position or close down the F9. thus allowing space for an attacking mid or a strike partner.

So it doesn't mean they are stretching our line vertically like pulling our central defenders out of their comfort zone? It means only horizontally by creating more space between defenders?

So it doesn't mean they are stretching our line vertically like pulling our central defenders out of their comfort zone? It means only horizontally by creating more space between defenders?

exactly your centreback are being stretched out wide resulting in gaps, are you playing with wingbacks by any chance. anyway read this youll have to scroll down but it helps you understand how to stretch defense line yourself and also how to stop it happening. strikerless.com/2014/02/09/going-through-the-strikerless-motions-stretching-a-defence/

exactly your centreback are being stretched out wide resulting in gaps, are you playing with wingbacks by any chance. anyway read this youll have to scroll down but it helps you understand how to stretch defense line yourself and also how to stop it happening. strikerless.com/2014/02/09/going-through-the-strikerless-motions-stretching-a-defence/

I'm playing with 3 center backs and no FB's nor WB's, only wide midfielders

I'm playing with 3 center backs and no FB's nor WB's, only wide midfielders

There's your answer, the opposition wingers are dragging your CB's wide because there are no other defenders out there

There's your answer, the opposition wingers are dragging your CB's wide because there are no other defenders out there
Well,what can I do in order to take care of that without playing with FB's and WB's? Ask the groundman to narrow the pitch ? I mean ,I see teams using a formation of 3-5-2...How they are defending against teams who plays with natural wingers without stretching their defence ?

Well,what can I do in order to take care of that without playing with FB's and WB's? Ask the groundman to narrow the pitch ? I mean ,I see teams using a formation of 3-5-2...How they are defending against teams who plays with natural wingers without stretching their defence ?

Teams that play 3 at the back will have midfield players assigned to track the runs of wide players. If you give them the space, you've inviting pressure. Having strong, tall CBs who are good int he air is an option if you're willing to concede the wide channels and defend narrowly. Chelsea were very good at doing this 2-3 years ago.

3 at the back is a formation that's compromising defensive stability for a midfield option, so look at how to use that extra midfielder more effectively. The ball should not be allowed to get into your final third since you've an extra man in your midfield. How you do this will depend on how you play (deep or high line, Pressing or standing off, ect. )

Teams that play 3 at the back will have midfield players assigned to track the runs of wide players. If you give them the space, you've inviting pressure. Having strong, tall CBs who are good int he air is an option if you're willing to concede the wide channels and defend narrowly. Chelsea were very good at doing this 2-3 years ago.

3 at the back is a formation that's compromising defensive stability for a midfield option, so look at how to use that extra midfielder more effectively. The ball should not be allowed to get into your final third since you've an extra man in your midfield. How you do this will depend on how you play (deep or high line, Pressing or standing off, ect. )

I have noticed that in Football manager,any central defender who is not tall without good jumping wlll get bad scores like 6.0 and such telling me that no matter how good they are I think on the ground won't make it without good air attributes...
I wonder if anyone manage to get better performances with them even though they are poor in air ?

I have noticed that in Football manager,any central defender who is not tall without good jumping wlll get bad scores like 6.0 and such telling me that no matter how good they are I think on the ground won't make it without good air attributes...
I wonder if anyone manage to get better performances with them even though they are poor in air ?
It depends how you use the defenders. If they're going to sit in the box all day to defend crosses, then obviously they'll get lower ratings because they won't be winning too many balls.

Like WJ said, it depends how you use your defenders. I typically play with a very high line and a tall, strong CDM to screen passes through the middle or the long punt up field; so my CB's can keep their line and avoid leaving holes as their pulled away to deal with the long pass. I like to have mentally strong CBs. Good concentration, decisions, Workrate and Positioning, ect.

my philosophy: A CB pairing that leaves no holes in the back line never needs to commit to the tackling in the box. If the ball reaches your box it's because someone has messed up somewhere on the pitch (most of the time it's a midfield error that created space in a wide channel.) Don't let them get around you and your CB will only have to use their technical attributes as a last resort. If your CB has to tackle, they've already failed to defend the attack and are now trying to make up for it. It's the equivalent to a Striker missing a one on one and chasing after the rebound.

Good teamwork between your back-line and midfield-line will form a cohesive unit that's hard to break down. Force them into high risk balls and your DCM will clean up 90% of those attempts while the rest of your squad keeps their shape and anticipate the worst case scenarios.

Like they already said about Cd's bad in the air, just to give an example of that ...

Here is my central defender and his history

View attachment 219152 View attachment 219151

Named few times in CL dream team, worlds team of the year, being shortlisted for golden ball, winning young player of the year awards, regular Serie A dream team ... He is part of higher or much higher up defensive system where he can exploit his physical and mental strengths.

Generally, if I can't find complete central defenders than I try to buy different types. So, few seasons ago I bought Alderweireld who is opposite to Diogo Pita. Toby was good in the air but slower. When we was facing fast striker I put Pita and when we was facing stronger strikers and good in the air I played Alderweireld.

Mertesacker can stop Andy Carroll but stand much less chance against Aguero.