Carrasco21

Reaction score
So yeah, I got promoted two seasons ago, and i finished 7th in my first premiership season. However, I strongly feel that something is missing with my two strikers. Due to the tactic, they should be scoring goals for fun, however I cant seem to find the correct roles for them to play of eachother, or even just score. Some help would be much appreciated.

I'm leaving a screenshot of my tactic, and my players. Pardon me for the swedish language, didnt have time to change it to english. Måltjuv means Poacher, and Trequartista speaks for itself.

Thanks in advance, dear regards, Carrasaco.

View attachment 142755

https://gyazo.com/39962cc031a1d5964740740ad56f56ec

There are 2 main types of strike partnerships i go for.
1. False Nine-Complete Forward
This is what is called a attack-support partnership. The False Nine drops deeper, dragging defenders out of position, for the complete forward to make runs. OR, you could see the other way round, defenders focus on the complete forward leaving the false nine wide open to create chances for himself.
EG. I used Fabregas-Costa for this. Fabregas is a natural False Nine, thanks to his Barcelona days. They ended with Fabregas having 11 goals and 15 assists and Costa having 24 goals and 3 assists.

2. Target Man-Poacher/Advanced Forward
This is a traditional Big Man-Small Man partnership. The Target Man has to have the strength, passing and technical ability to hold off defenders AND make the right passes. The Poacher is the one finding spaces to pick, making intelligent runs to finish off attacks. Needs to be trained in Snap shots (Takes First Time Shots)
EG. I used Lukaku-Costa in one such partnership. Lukaku ended with 12 goals and 18 assists, while Costa ended with 27 goals and 5 assists. it works with the right wing support.

Might not work out for your specific tactic, but seeing as how you have a lot of defenders, I think your problem at the moment is creativity upfront. With movement, I think you can see results.

Might not work out for your specific tactic, but seeing as how you have a lot of defenders, I think your problem at the moment is creativity upfront. With movement, I think you can see results.

What do you mean with that?

I would suggest using AF (Attack) + DLF (Support) roles for the strikers. :)

I don't think the attack duties for both strikers would work the best and I'd change it to Attack + Support

In FM14, I had joy with a False-9_Support or a Deep Lying Forward_Support alongside an Advanced Forward_Attack in a 3-5-2 system that featured a flat midfield five on the CM line.

Make sure the Advanced Forward is playing on whichever side corresponds to his stronger foot - it will enable him to put himself between the defender and the ball more often and gives him more of the goal to aim at.