Striker Sturridge off to Chelsea

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 959

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manchester City teenage striker Daniel Sturridge is to sign for Premier League rivals Chelsea.

More...

awsum cant wait to see him play hes an exciting young player and can compete with malouda on the left or even upfront great signing:D

i personally cant see him playing much but maybe chelsea would be better for him with man city bringin in santa cruz and hoping to land other strikers

i think its stupid of man city to sell such a great young player i mean look at stephen ireland hes is proper class now so he could have turned out like stephy

Manchester City had no option - he refused to sign a new contract as he wanted paying close to 40k a week. So he's gone to Chelsea with the fee to be decided by tribunal - Chelsea want to pay 3 million, Manchester City want more like 10 million.

Last edited:
Man City Signed Stuart Taylor ??? so selling a great young player like that does not suprise me

Surprised Liverpool weren't interested in a wide left/striker

Surprised Liverpool weren't interested in a wide left/striker

I very much doubt Sturridge would fit Benitez' character template for players (and he does have one...). He's already walked out on one club because it won't pay him wages he hasn't justified (and at Liverpool 40k a week is what a first-team squad player would get, not a promising young talent who will play the odd game) and with his fee decided by tribunal I doubt we'd want to risk getting stung on the transfer fee if the tribunal sided with Manchester City's valuation of him.

I very much doubt Sturridge would fit Benitez' character template for players (and he does have one...). He's already walked out on one club because it won't pay him wages he hasn't justified (and at Liverpool 40k a week is what a first-team squad player would get, not a promising young talent who will play the odd game) and with his fee decided by tribunal I doubt we'd want to risk getting stung on the transfer fee if the tribunal sided with Manchester City's valuation of him.

True...just thought from a purely positional aspect he would fit in well...a good Ryan Babel haha.

But yeah i suppose Rafa does look for loyal players, one of the reasons villa is linked?

True...just thought from a purely positional aspect he would fit in well...a good Ryan Babel haha.

But yeah i suppose Rafa does look for loyal players, one of the reasons villa is linked?

Yeah, I think loyalty is a big factor (Rafa's press conference when God re-signed was amazing - he said in amazement that the contract could have been for no wages and Fowler would have signed it) but there are several more. Wonder if I can find the article where the factors are listed, will have a look and see if I can dig it out as it is very revealing about how Rafa's mind and footballing philosophy work. Once you know it and 'get' the philosophy, it makes spotting 'Rafa players' very, very easy and allows you to laugh off silly season stories of players being linked.

On Villa, well.... take this with a pinch of salt or not but there are stories of Rafa having agreed with Villa that he will move to Liverpool only for Parry to step in and veto the move. Rafa went ballistic with this because obviously it damaged his professional standing.This was a couple of seasons back now. I think the issue of CL rules would be an important factor (now that they've been confirmed) in dissuading Rafa from paying out big money for even a player like Villa.

As for Sturridge, I've really not seen enough of him playing to judge. At the moment he seems like a promising talent who may go off the rails. Ancelotti's a good manager though, but we'll see whether or not Sturridge can hack the discipline Ancelotti learnt from Sacchi. Whether he'll challenge Malouda/Drogba/Anelka/Cole for a place in the starting line-up remains to be seen.

i heard it was up to 70k a week he wanted-totally ridiculous. The kid has talent but if he was really wanting that amount of money-even if City are splashing out rlc-he needs a slap. Maybe wouldn't have got a game at City, but then the same goes for Chelsea.

I think Villa would have been looking at Sturridge too, apparently he supports Villa, was born in Birmingham too, 75k per week though!! Fair play to him though.

MEN last reported it was 40k, which was half what they'd been claiming for some time prior to that. But whichever figure is more accurate, it's a massive wage for a player who has yet to make a real impact for a club. Even Wenger and his 'pay youth lots of money' policy would be unlikely to countenance it!

I heard exactley the same. 75 grand a weak for an unproven greedy teenager. Cheeky ****. If it was stephen Ireland who was leaving I would have said we should have done more to try and keep him. But to demand wages like that when he's done nothing yet in his career is just ridiculous. Sure he may be one for the future and Chelsea have got themselves a decent young talent. But he has simply swapped the City Bench for the Chelsea bench. Well done Dan. Somewhere like tottenham or Everton would have suited him better. Plus its not like City are sluggish at producing the best home grown talent in the league. Ireland, Richards, Wright Phillips, Onouha, Barton (although he's a ****). Vladmier Wiess will be a superstar too. 5 to 10 million for an out of contract cheeky **** who we don't even need. Sounds like good buisseness to me guys.

another promising player going to to ruin he`s career at chelski when will they learn money isn`t everthing!! won`t get more than 5 games next season i bet! waste!

Yeah, he isn't foreign. The only British players he has signed have been flops or havent played enough(Crouch, Pennant, Keane), and has always overpaid for them(Keane, Johnson).

If teams are willing to pay someone that on Potential alone then fair play to the lad, get what you can. Of course if he ends up acting like a **** and ending up a division 1 player people will say "the money ruined him". I can't imagine any teenager when told by an agent "you can get payed 40k a year" to reply "i'll settle for 5k" or some other reasonable amount. Don't blame him for getting it, blame the idiots willing to pay it.

Back