• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 2K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says he will field a strong team against relegation-threatened Blackpool on Sunday.

More...

If a "reserve" side can demolish Schalke 4-1 then it can quite easily do the same to Blackpool. I'd rather key players rest for next Saturdays show down with Barcelona, I really couldn't give a **** if Blackpool/Wolves/Wigan/Birmingham went down if i'm completely honest and a fine for fielding a "weak" (if there is such a thing) would be complete bollocks.

Surely this is not weak team..

I have players who need a game," said Ferguson.

"Darren Fletcher, Paul Scholes, Anderson, Dimitar Berbatov, Patrice Evra and Edwin van der Sar will play."

Surely this is not weak team..

1. The point is that it's half and half.
2. Berbatov's hardly the most consistent player in the league...
3. Fletcher hasn't played for ages, and isn't the best midfielder in the world.
4. Obviously Evra and VDS aren't weak.

dont think we have weak team how can ya say pickin berba is weak he is top scorer and hasnt even played that much and fletcher is far to underated!

1. Its half half still not weakened team. We dont play same 11 for whole season. Its a strong team. No 2 ways about it
2. League top scorer. Consistent or not, he is our top scorer.
3. Fletcher was our best CM for 2 seasons and this season he was out injured for 2 months. So he will play so that he will be match fit.

Fletcher is the best in the universe.Just hope we win so we don't spoil the celebrations!!!

berbatov is consistent at home (just terrible away)

1. Its half half still not weakened team. We dont play same 11 for whole season. Its a strong team. No 2 ways about it
2. League top scorer. Consistent or not, he is our top scorer.
3. Fletcher was our best CM for 2 seasons and this season he was out injured for 2 months. So he will play so that he will be match fit.

1. Exactly. It's "weakened" because half of that team will be actual reserves, I expect since the PL have given him the go-ahead to make changes without being fined.

2. Not saying he's a bad player, just that he's not as strong a player as Rooney, or arguably Hernandez in this form.

3. Exactly. Not 100% fit, not first choice.

= weakened team.

1. Exactly. It's "weakened" because half of that team will be actual reserves, I expect since the PL have given him the go-ahead to make changes without being fined.

2. Not saying he's a bad player, just that he's not as strong a player as Rooney, or arguably Hernandez in this form.

= weakened team.

No half of the team wont be reserves. He just pointed out obvious starters. That doesn't mean others wont play. And there is nothing like fixed 11 for us. VDS, Vidic, Evra, Rooney are sure starters. Rest all the places are up for grabs. Our strength is our depth in quality. So there is nothing like weakened team.

And regarding 3rd point, when RVP is back from injury and not 100% fit, do you think Wenger is playing a weakened team as RVP is not completely fit? Then by that point Fletcher shouldn't play any game as he is not match fit and will weaken our team..

Last edited:

= weakened team.

Weakened yes, but its not weak team.

= weakened team.

Point? Probably could still beat Arsenal.

Maybe not are full strengh team but surely that team including them players should beat Blackpool at Old Trafford. Should we win which I expect us too, will people even care the starting lineup was missing a few players? I doubt it. Weakened Manchester United side is still better than most PL full strengh sides.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Point? Probably could still beat Arsenal.

I believe it did in the FA Cup this season.

1. Strength in depth. ;)
2. Berbatov's a demon at home.
3. Lies and slander.
4. True!

Well I had a dream that blackpool won 11-1 but i get a feeling that isnt going to happen

Personally, if I was SAF I would make a mockery of the 25 man squad rule. I would just say "screw the FA. There's a 25 man squad rule for a reason. Sod the consequences. I will field a weaker team and use the rule". Don't want him to get in trouble, but if Man Utd beat Shalke 4-1with a "weaker" side, then screw it. And whats the point in the rule if you can't use it for your team? In fact, would be great if all the managers did it. Then it would show up the FA for what they really are. A bunch of interfering old farts, who have the mentallity of a newt, who don't know how to implement a rule properly, even if it came up and slapped up in the face and said "this is how you implement your own rules properly". They can't keep punishing managers for following a rule. Useless arseheads.

My team for the match

VDS

Fabio Evans Smalling Evra

Fletcher Scholes Anderson Nani

Berbatov Owen​

There'll be more Premier League medals on that pitch than on all the other pitches combined yet the FA deem it a weakened team. Pull the other one!

Personally, if I was SAF I would make a mockery of the 25 man squad rule. I would just say "screw the FA. There's a 25 man squad rule for a reason. Sod the consequences. I will field a weaker team and use the rule". Don't want him to get in trouble, but if Man Utd beat Shalke 4-1with a "weaker" side, then screw it. And whats the point in the rule if you can't use it for your team? In fact, would be great if all the managers did it. Then it would show up the FA for what they really are. A bunch of interfering old farts, who have the mentallity of a newt, who don't know how to implement a rule properly, even if it came up and slapped up in the face and said "this is how you implement your own rules properly". They can't keep punishing managers for following a rule. Useless arseheads.

Totally agree with you. Fining Blackpool earlier this season was an absolute joke. Holloway was spot on when he said that he had to name a squad of players and it was his job to name the team based on who he wanted to play and the Premier League should get out of it. The squad rules should prevent playing your youth team against opponents (though there are times when that is something which should be permitted too).

It's a joke. No ******** and moaning acceptable whoever is put into a team. And if Blackpool turn over Manchester United at Old Trafford, great stuff, give them credit because there'll be Manchester United players trying to show they deserve a place in the team for a Champions' League final and I don't think they'll be slacking off.

Complete. Non. Story

The 25 man squad is there for a reason, you manage it not just for one game, but for an entire. The FA talk as if the squad players (in general, not just united players) arent capable or good enough to play a game and betrays a lack of respect and ignorance.

We rested 9 players and thumped schalke.

Wolves rested key players in game they were likely to lose s there were fresh for a game they needed to win. Its called management, FA. Maybe if you could show some of that our national game wouldnt be such a farce

Back