Struggling to make young players ready for first team.

• Thread starter Thread starter Henry8597
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 4K

Henry8597

Reaction score
I'm struggling to develop young players into first team players... I buy young players (between 16 and 19) then 3 years later I have to sell them as they are never good enough to be a good first team player. Anyone got any tips on how I can improve this?

I cant give them first team football atm as I'm trying to qualify for the champions league and when I've loaned out players in the past about 1 in 20 make any progression?

Loan them to clubs with good facilities, play them as often as you can in your first team.(cup games, 20-30minutes at the end of a game)

I have Boca, River and Palace as feeder clubs so mainly use them who all have good facilities.. But they arent growing. Also, I find it difficult to put them on for 20-30 minutes at the end of games because this makes the older, rotation players unhappy quickly :/

I have Boca, River and Palace as feeder clubs so mainly use them who all have good facilities.. But they arent growing. Also, I find it difficult to put them on for 20-30 minutes at the end of games because this makes the older, rotation players unhappy quickly :/

Get rid of the older rotation players then. Also when you loan them out loan the to places where they will definitely play.

Okay, so I should sell players such as Dzeko, Tevez and Balotelli and replace with players like Fierro?

When you offer players out for loan, make sure you set their squad status to key player, or at least first team. Also try to get rid of most players over the age of 30, unless they're vital to the team and/or you use them for tutoring youngsters. This will also help you lower your wage budget. Try to have the first team squad as small as possible, so that you can use the youngsters as backup and provide them with a decent amount of playing time. And make sure you tutor the ones you want to progress, use a player with similar personality with good mental stats and higher determination than the youngster.

When you offer players out for loan, make sure you set their squad status to key player, or at least first team. Also try to get rid of most players over the age of 30, unless they're vital to the team and/or you use them for tutoring youngsters. This will also help you lower your wage budget. Try to have the first team squad as small as possible, so that you can use the youngsters as backup and provide them with a decent amount of playing time. And make sure you tutor the ones you want to progress, use a player with similar personality with good mental stats and higher determination than the youngster.

Thanks mersk, I have bought some free agents such as Rivaldo and Pires on £1,000 a week contracts simply to tutor players and play in my reserves... whilst ive sold all of newcastles big players like Cabaye, Cisse, Tiote, Collocini and all of the deadwood and bought in a full team of youngsters too see if this works, Do you think this will work?

Thanks mersk, I have bought some free agents such as Rivaldo and Pires on £1,000 a week contracts simply to tutor players and play in my reserves... whilst ive sold all of newcastles big players like Cabaye, Cisse, Tiote, Collocini and all of the deadwood and bought in a full team of youngsters too see if this works, Do you think this will work?

It might work in the long run, but huge changes like that in the squad are likely to make it difficult for players to fit in. New players often need time to gel. I'm not sure what year you're in, but I hope you got some good deals for players like Cabaye and Coloccini. Those two alone should have made you around £40m, leaving you with alot of money to strengthen. A whole team of youngsters is very difficult to succeed with, you usually need some experienced players in your team as well. I have a very young team myself, with only three players older than 25. It's working out very well for me, but I've made sure to always have experienced players like Agger, Gerrard, Suarez, Lucas in the squad.

Like I said I don't know what year you're in, but I got a feeling players like Rivaldo and Pires have taken massive drops in their attributes, including the mental ones. I never sign players purely for the sake of tutoring, but I know some people do with success. Remember you can use players as young as 23 to tutor others, so there's rarely a need of signing new players for the sole purpose of tutoring.

Only Tevez is, but the other two are rotation players?

Personally I always sell high valued players nearing the age of 30. It's around that time their attributes and value start to drop significantly, and selling them at the age of 28-30 lets you cash in on them before it's too late. I'd sell Tevez, Dzeko and Balotelli if they're nearing the age of 30, these are all players you can get good deals for. Besides, they're probably all on very high wages.

It might work in the long run, but huge changes like that in the squad are likely to make it difficult for players to fit in. New players often need time to gel. I'm not sure what year you're in, but I hope you got some good deals for players like Cabaye and Coloccini. Those two alone should have made you around £40m, leaving you with alot of money to strengthen. A whole team of youngsters is very difficult to succeed with, you usually need some experienced players in your team as well. I have a very young team myself, with only three players older than 25. It's working out very well for me, but I've made sure to always have experienced players like Agger, Gerrard, Suarez, Lucas in the squad.

Like I said I don't know what year you're in, but I got a feeling players like Rivaldo and Pires have taken massive drops in their attributes, including the mental ones. I never sign players purely for the sake of tutoring, but I know some people do with success. Remember you can use players as young as 23 to tutor others, so there's rarely a need of signing new players for the sole purpose of tutoring.

I am in april of the first season and am doing very well sitting comfortabely in third with this team:

View attachment 289143

I am in april of the first season and am doing very well sitting comfortabely in third with this team:

View attachment 289143

That's a good team, and as long as you're performing well and the youngsters are getting playing time, they will definitely improve. Doria is great, and even though he's very young he plays like a 30-year-old with lots of experience. Your squad is not too small or too big (26 players, I have 27 myself and they're all getting playing time), so it shouldn't be a problem to give everyone a taste of the first team. Good performances makes it easier for new players to blend in, at least that's my experience. And if you're in 3rd spot and just a few games to go, I would say you've been performing well above expectations. Good luck in the Champions League next season! :)

Personally I always sell high valued players nearing the age of 30. It's around that time their attributes and value start to drop significantly, and selling them at the age of 28-30 lets you cash in on them before it's too late. I'd sell Tevez, Dzeko and Balotelli if they're nearing the age of 30, these are all players you can get good deals for. Besides, they're probably all on very high wages.

Careful with this. Yes players tend be at their peak value at 28-30 and if you are a 'selling club' or just need cash this is the time to sell BUT the reason they are at their peak value is they are at their peak/prime. Strikers hit their peak usually between 28-31, midfielders a couple of years after and defenders usually between 30-33. Goalkeepers don't hit their peak till even later normally 33-35 and thier attributes won't drop for a few years after so if you sell a keeper at 28 you get max value for them but miss out on their best years. You have to decide whats more important to you money in the bank or trophies in the cabinet?

Careful with this. Yes players tend be at their peak value at 28-30 and if you are a 'selling club' or just need cash this is the time to sell BUT the reason they are at their peak value is they are at their peak/prime. Strikers hit their peak usually between 28-31, midfielders a couple of years after and defenders usually between 30-33. Goalkeepers don't hit their peak till even later normally 33-35 and thier attributes won't drop for a few years after so if you sell a keeper at 28 you get max value for them but miss out on their best years. You have to decide whats more important to you money in the bank or trophies in the cabinet?

Why pick when I can have both.

That's a good team, and as long as you're performing well and the youngsters are getting playing time, they will definitely improve. Doria is great, and even though he's very young he plays like a 30-year-old with lots of experience. Your squad is not too small or too big (26 players, I have 27 myself and they're all getting playing time), so it shouldn't be a problem to give everyone a taste of the first team. Good performances makes it easier for new players to blend in, at least that's my experience. And if you're in 3rd spot and just a few games to go, I would say you've been performing well above expectations. Good luck in the Champions League next season! :)

I have finished the season in 3rd place and just got an offer of Wellington nem's £34 million release clause off Barcelona, I hope he rejects, but if he goes , Im going to struggle to replace him, although i could just make Adryan a starter

I cant give them first team football atm as I'm trying to qualify for the champions league and when I've loaned out players in the past about 1 in 20 make any progression?

Dont be so afraid to play them dont bother bringing in your own youth players if your not prepared to play them... Improve facilities get better coaches, tutor them and the final step either play them or loan them out...
Im no Wenger of FM but I play my youth players every chance I get... I played the back end of my fourth season with my 17 y.o regen keeper who wasnt particularly great I risked not getting Champions League football but in the end he improved enormously and I made third by a point and Champions Lge by 3 points...

Maybe its just my philosophy but if you dont give your young players I dont see why someone else should... I give my youth players a chance in my team first then in the next window I loan them if they dont play them I recall them... Most cases lead me to recalling because I keep an eye on their progress and if I think they arnt getting enough games I bring them back and give them time...
Dont worry about their stats theres an obsession with getting lads with the best stats but this doesnt always matter and I dont care what anyone says... Iv had "inferior" players come in and do a better job than superstars players who like you and the club can perform incredibly well despite their 'lack of ability' and thats why you should give youngsters a chance...

That's only true for most of the preexisting players, most regens will be at their best by the time they're 25-26 if they get played often. By the time they hit 30 their physical stats do tend to start to drop, some last until 32 or so but not many and at which point you've usually replaced them with someone younger.

Back