Substututions

• Thread starter Thread starter stuinbucks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 2K

stuinbucks

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Can we discuss, what determines who you sub?

I usually look to make my first subs around 60 minutes, firstly I go by match rating like 6.5 or lower
but then I go by pass completion.

What do you go by?

Match rating?
Pass completion?
or something else?

Discuss..................

It depends. Context is king. It depends on whether I have tired players, important matches around the corner, under-performing players, if I'm behind, if I'm leading, what my options are on the bench, do I have a very nervous or complacent player who I could possibly take off, whether there are youngsters who need game time etc. Mostly it's just using your head. I cannot play this game like a robot. There are many factors that need to be taken into account and a decision made based on that.

In a standard game that is going to plan, I will usually sub based on condition. But if a players match rating dips to 6.3 or below he is getting yanked right away.

If its just for tiredness, then I would sub around 60-65 mins and later, but if a player is performing poorly I may take him off as early as 50mins

In a standard game that is going to plan, I will usually sub based on condition. But if a players match rating dips to 6.3 or below he is getting yanked right away.

If its just for tiredness, then I would sub around 60-65 mins and later, but if a player is performing poorly I may take him off as early as 50mins

So lets say you have four players on 6.3, how do you decide which one not to take off?

WJ I often dont get much time to play so therefore dont have the time to go into context of it all.

As pretty much stated above its on different factors. If my team is winning comfortably then I try and get some squad and young players on. If some players are looking nervous or their rating is below standard I will replace with a player who I think can do the job, and all these will be around the 60th minute unless I'm forced to change for any other reason. If it's a friendly sometimes I will sub the whole team at half time of between the 55th and 60th minute.

As pretty much stated above its on different factors. If my team is winning comfortably then I try and get some squad and young players on. If some players are looking nervous or their rating is below standard I will replace with a player who I think can do the job, and all these will be around the 60th minute unless I'm forced to change for any other reason. If it's a friendly sometimes I will sub the whole team at half time of between the 55th and 60th minute.

like above, if you had more than say 3 that could come off how do you decide which?

player rating, fitness.. those are primary..
then if I'm winning comfortably with important game to come next, I'd take off my key players..

lastly, at home, I take off players having scored hatttick, or ones with 9.1 or + rating- they get a standing ovation!!

like above, if you had more than say 3 that could come off how do you decide which?

I guess then it would depend where it needs changing. If I have a leaky defence that gets plugged first. Otherwise I honestly would say it depends on the state of the match. It also depends on what you have on the bench.

I'm messing around on a PSG save after the new update and the team has been ripped by injuries so at times I'm having my 14-15 year olds on the bench which is not ideal at times, especially when Silva or David Luiz gets injured and you have to bring on the 14 year old Vincent Ibrahimovic. Lol

player rating, fitness.. those are primary..
then if I'm winning comfortably with important game to come next, I'd take off my key players..

lastly, at home, I take off players having scored hatttick, or ones with 9.1 or + rating- they get a standing ovation!!

Same as, I always have the standing ovation moment too. Let them bask in it.

WJ I often dont get much time to play so therefore dont have the time to go into context of it all.
It doesn't stop you from thinking for yourself.

The question you asked about 4 players on 6.3 ratings. There are so many ways to 'fix' that. As ever, it depends! Do you have direct replacements on the bench? Can you swap a few players around and come up with a different plan, based on what you've seen?

There's a reason for the 6.3s, so you should know why the player is doing badly. Once you know that, you can make up your mind about what to do.

It all sounds long-winded, but it takes a matter of seconds. Lack of time isn't an excuse.

I'm not actually looking for tips, I'm just interested how other players approach this......Hence the word discuss in op!

I'm quite satisfied how I do my subs.

It doesn't stop you from thinking for yourself.

The question you asked about 4 players on 6.3 ratings. There are so many ways to 'fix' that. As ever, it depends! Do you have direct replacements on the bench? Can you swap a few players around and come up with a different plan, based on what you've seen?

There's a reason for the 6.3s, so you should know why the player is doing badly. Once you know that, you can make up your mind about what to do.

It all sounds long-winded, but it takes a matter of seconds. Lack of time isn't an excuse.

I tend not to sub a player when his rating is under 6 or so.. coz they generally sulk when I do that.. as such, I change their position, or let them keep playing and hope that they up their rating somehow...

I tend not to sub a player when his rating is under 6 or so.. coz they generally sulk when I do that.. as such, I change their position, or let them keep playing and hope that they up their rating somehow...
Don't think I've even had a rating under 6, but I've never had complaints for subbing someone! Player personalities play a part, I'm sure.

I sub players based on match rating and condition. 6.2 is a critical value, below that results in an immediate substitution. I tend to give players the first half to get into the game, but a rating below 5.5 in the first half means a substitution. Second after that, I look at condition. When a player is below 65% and the next match is less than 4 days away, I'll sub them.

If there's 4 players rated 6.3 or lower then my tactic is seriously failing. So I would look to change or approach and possibly formation etc. So my subs would take that into consideration.

e.g. I may switch to more attacking and maybe change from a CM-CM-DM trio to a CM-CM-AM trio. So I may need to use my subs to bring in a naturally AM.

When it comes down to it there isnt really a set way, you just gotta change your plans on the fly as the game progresses. Theres been times where I head into a gaming hoping to be able to kill the game off quickly and be able to rest my star player, only to have the score be 0-0 heading into stoppage time where my star grabs the winner. Couldnt afford to bring him off as planned.

I'm guessing you lot all manage big clubs?

I manage Stalybridge Celtic in the vandarama north and therefore don't have the luxury of bringing on or taking off a star player.

I look at rating followed by pass completion because at this level everyone's fitness quickly declines and I cant take everyone off, I figure if passes are being completed then there not going far wrong!

I start at the bottom on my only save of every version. Fitness declines pretty much the same everywhere, so it's just a matter of managing the squad and keeping an eye on upcoming fixtures.

WJ

Who do you manage? On every save I somehow pick Stalybridge, every year is the same I have no connection with them, just picked them in a game maybe 2005 and have managed them ever since!!

WJ

Who do you manage? On every save I somehow pick Stalybridge, every year is the same I have no connection with them, just picked them in a game maybe 2005 and have managed them ever since!!
I just randomly pick a country and then the lowest league in that. Then randomly a team in that league. I never really get to manage current players, except years into the game maybe, when they're into their 30s.

Back