Suitable Tactics for my promoted Leicester Side!

suarezzz7

Reaction score
I've just had a very successful 1st season with Leicester, where I gained Automatic Promotion in 1st place. Playing some amazing attacking football.

I use the well known Brendan Rodgers Diamond formation with 2 wingbacks. So as you know, this is a very attacking formation with a lot of fluidity.

Although, going into the premiership is a different class from the championship. Should I stick with the Diamond Formation or change it to increase my chances of survival in the Premiership.

Any advice would be welcomed and I'll put down my players below.

Thanks.

Gk: Kasper Schmeichal, Jan Oblak

CB: Joleon Lescott, Michael Keane, Wes Morgan, Liam Moore

FB: Manoleav, De Laet, Planas, Limmes

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CDM/CM/CAM: Dean Hammond, Matty James, Youri Tielemans, Ouasim Buoy, Anthony Knockaert, Ben McPhee (15 year old Regen), Andy King, Danny Drinkwater

Wingers: Tom Ince, Gary Mackay-Steven

ST: Chris Wood, Jordan Rhodes, John Guidetti

I still plan on buying another striker and winger, both preferably youngsters, so any recommendations would be welcomed as well, thank you.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend playing attacking football first season in the Premier League. I would focus on a solid counter formation/tactic.

I was thinking maybe, a 5-3-2 formation similar to Hollands at the world cup, with a counter attacking focus. Cheers for the advice btw

I was thinking maybe, a 5-3-2 formation similar to Hollands at the world cup, with a counter attacking focus. Cheers for the advice btw

Against the lesser teams in the division, I'd play 3-5-2 with a flat midfield 5 comprising of Wide Midfielders_Support on the wings and a Ball-Winning Midfielder_Defend and Deep-Lying Playmaker_Support either side of an Advanced Playmaker_Attack. I'm guessing:

WM(L) - Tom Ince
WM(R) - Gary Mackay-Steven
BWM - Dean Hammond
DLP - Matty James
AP - Anthony Knockaert

Upfront, set Rhodes to Advanced Forward_Attack (Move Into Channels, Short Passing, Shoot More Often) on whichever side is his strongest foot. Alongside him, you could use Chris Wood as either a Target Man_Support or Deep-Lying Forward or False-9... whichever role he is best-suited to. Guidetti can deputise for both players, but if his stronger foot is opposite to Rhodes' then be prepared to swap your front two over because it's important that the AF be able to shoot for the far corner when going through the channel.

Get your central midfielders to play Direct Passes to exploit the space on the flanks and put a Ball-Playing Defender in the middle of two DC_Defends in the back-three. You'll concede goals but hopefully out-score the opposition more often than not.

Against stronger teams, you might want to try a system that puts two DMs in-front of a back four but pushes Ince and Mackay-Steven high up the pitch to offer counter attacking opportunities. Wood might be your best bet to play up-front on his own, with Rhodes providing fresh legs from the bench for the last 20 minutes.