Sunderland 09/10 players,tactics,coaches

diplokaseri

Reaction score
Hello out there!

I started this season with Sunderland. It was a random selection, the media prediction for me was 17th and the minimum target was to avoid relegation.

Long story short, my team was in need of a full facelift. I had 11 millions to do that and i was kinda-happy only with my attacking line (Bent,Jones). I was looking for first team players who can make the difference for a club like Sunderland.

After a long thought and pre-season experimens, i decided to use the "fener-tactic" (many thanks for that) for the first year, which is a 4-1-3-1-1 formation.

Here goes a screenshot:
ilxc80.jpg

It follows a list with the First-team players i had i my disposal from July to January. The players in red are the players who were already in my team. The positions are the positions i used them and not necessarily their natural. I repeat, this is the list only with the first team players. All the wonderkids and the youngsters are not here (everyone i'm sure have found some potential star players and there are also the generated players). Finally all the players who were already in Sunderland and you can't see them here, were sold or loaned out (there's no point to tell you where every player sold or loaned).

Here goes my roster for the first six months:

GK
Federico Vilar - 1.9m from Atlante (a must buy)
Sebastian Viera - Free

DL
Aleksandar Lukovi - 1.2m from Udinese
Jorge Ribeiro - 250K from Benfica (transfer listed)

DR
Nyron Nosworthy
Juliano Belletti - 950K from Chelsea (transfer listed)
Nei (Claudinei Cardoso Felix da Silva) - 750K from Atletico Paranaense

DC
Michael Turner
John Mensah (on loan from Lyon)
Anton Ferdinard

Jorge Adrande - Free

DMC
Loric Cana
Stephen Appiah - Free

ML
Angel Di Maria - 3m from Benfica
Denilson (Denilson de Oliveira Araujo) - Free

MR
Mota (Joao Soares da Mote Neto) - 325K from Ceara
Hasan Salihamidzic - Loan with ~ 650K and 80% of his wage from Juventus (transfer listed)

MC
Lee Cattermole
Sergey Krivets - 1.4m from BATE

AMC
Kieran Richardson
Arda Turan - 9m from Galatasaray

ST
Darrent Bent
Kenwyne Jones

ALSO
Jadson (Jadson Rodrigues da Silva) - Free to join in January (from Shakhar)
David Beckham - Free to join in January (from Los Angeles Galaxy)

-
As you can see 14 of the 23 i chose in my first team plans, wasn't at the club before. If you ask yourself where i found the money i have two words for you: monthly installments! (and ofcourse sales and wage offloads)
-

The team after a short time was at a preety good display, finding myself "slow but steady" in the 9th position. I was winning with small scores (a win is still a win) and i had also some surprising results. I also reached the quorter-finals in the League Cup where i lost at penalties from Chelsea.

Here tou can see my games, till january the 1st:
106nghw.jpg

JANUARY

players IN:
David Beckham (info above)
Jadson (info above)
Deco (Anderson Luis de Souza) - 1m from Chelsea (transfer listed, must buy)
wwhi8m.jpg

Jonny Megallon - 4.2m from Chivas (Club Guadalajara, or just type "jonny" at the search box)
Patrick Vieira - 1.6m from Inter (transfer listed)

-
Funny thing about Patrick Vieira. He want a huge (no just large) contract. Finally he came but check out the deal. First time i see something like that:
1z3cp07.jpg

-

players OUT:

John Mensah - Loan terminated
Hasan Salihamidzic - Loan terminated
Kieran Richardson - Loaned to Catania
Loric Cana - Loaned to Aston Villa
Stephen Appiah - (came free) sold 2.8m to Mallorca
28v13t.jpg

After all these, some positions were changed.
Here are the changes (the rest spots stayed as they were, see above):

DC
Johny Megallon
Michael Turner
Anton Ferdinard

Jorge Adrande

DMC
Patrick Vieira
Lee Cattermole

MR
David Beckham
Mota

MC
Jadson
Sergey Krivets

AMC
Deco
Arda Turan

The team after this preety big and risky (in the middle of the season) changes, performed even better. I scored more goals (and also they scored many goals against me 'cause my defence lacks in pace and aggility) and i finished 5th! Not bad at all for first year. 5th place means Europe and my board will be happy for sure.. I also reached the quarter-finals (again) in the FA Cup. I have to admit that i won some games in the dying minutes.

Here are the rest of the games and the Premier League table at the end of the season:
2ur7zn5.jpg

(in the final game against boston i played a couple of my reserves in the start eleven)

oat4j4.jpg

-
From the above squad Anton Ferdinard & Sebstian Viera played around 10 games and Nei around 5 but still they will remain in the team for the next season.

All the team reacted amazing in my rotation except of Sebstian Viera, but only for a couple of weeks.

Jorge Ribeiro is going to be sold. He was good for the first season but i want-need to find a better backup.

Same story for Denilson who he will be sold 'cause his contract is until 2011 and i'm ton willing to extend it (to find hopefully something better).

The future of Nyron Nosworthy and Michael Turner is still to be decided.
-
Next year i'll try to play more attractive football and i'm gonna change to 4-2-2-2 formation. It will also help some players to play at their natural position. It's going to look like this:

20fdsnc.jpg

-
I have "closed", or reseved if you wish, some first team players for the summer:

Robert Acquafresca - 3.4m from Genoa
Adriano - Free (!) from Flamengo (his contract was expiring and he prefered mine cotract than Flamengo's, a preety huge one)
Nicolas Burdisso - Free from Inter (his contract was expiring)

I will also welcome back Fraizer Cambpell who was loaned out at Middlesbrough (around 25 goals and helped Middlesbrough promoted)

I'm thinking of promoting Tabare Viudez in the first team to play some cup games the next season (Tabare Uruguay Viudez Mora, who came free at the first summer and spent the first season on loan at Sevilla, where he managed to play in 8 official games)
-
Robert Enke (Hannover) and Fabio Aurellio (Liverpool) were running out of contract but neither wanted to come :(

Michael Ballack (Chelsea) and Mark Van Bommel are also running out of contract if anyone is intersted (i won't make move to sign them) and keep an eye to Royston Drenthe (Real Madrid) as an alternative option. He will probably be transfer listed after January (i haven't decided yet if he is worthy or not).

Check out Roberto Carlos (Fenernbahce). He may be 37 but he keeps up enough his attributes to be a very good choice for backup.

Finally Nelson Rivas was going to come for free (contract expiring too) but i couldn't get work permit. Maybe you'll be more lucky from me in these cases.

*For the people who don't know it*
Be careful when you want to sign a player who's contract is expiring. It doesn't matter if you have him in your shortlist. If he receive a contract from his current team, you won't know it unless you go and check his personal info.

-
Quick words about coaches:

Arsenal have great youth stuff and i signed 2-3 from there as coaches. Also Valdir de Moraes who is considered as one of the best assistants in the game, came at the second year. Very good assistant for tactics but he is very not good at team talk. I will keep him anyway.

Take a look:
2zqyl3o.jpg

I'm happy with my training and you will find out that there are not so many injuries as FM 09 and also new moves (interaction) are learning now quicker.
My only coach with youth contract is Erick Mombaerts and my scouts are Jose Geraldo Mota, Frank Barlow and Francis Cagigao (for some strange reason their current ability droped a little bit).

(if anyone want to find few free players -to buid a reseve squad maybe- who are considered as future stars, just let me know)

sorry for my bad english,if any mistakes,:)
Peace

Last edited:
This is good, useful for lots of other premierleague teams even if your not Sunderland

That looks good even though I am a Newcastle fan, I like some of the players Sunderland have got and they are not a bad side. Bent, Cattermole etc...

This is good, useful for lots of other premierleague teams even if your not Sunderland
glad you like it m8

That looks good even though I am a Newcastle fan, I like some of the players Sunderland have got and they are not a bad side. Bent, Cattermole etc...
Bent was amazing this year, with 20 goals in 25(11) appearances, Cattermole was just good, i'm gonna give him one more season to rise.
p.s. newcastle is fighting this moment at the play-offs for the 3rd promotion spot :( you also have alan shearer for head coach since march :)

Nice. :p On my game he is manager of last placed Birmingham with 15 games to go. Remind you of anyone? XD