NCFC-Ben

Reaction score
Swansea_city_afc_crest.gif

It was the end of the football season and I was sat at home waiting for my wife to finish off the sunday roast, whilst lounging about watching Sky Sports News. About a month or so earlier I had taken and passed my coaching badges so I was hoping to get a coaching job or possibly if I was lucky, a managers job somewhere. As I was waiting, Georgie Thompson came up on my screen with some potentially good breaking news, so I sat up and listened..

SkySportsLogo.png

We understand that in the last hour, Swansea City Brendan Rogers has had his contract mutually terminated by chairman Huw Jenkins because he didn't think Rogers was the right man to take the club into the top flight. Rogers was said to have been "disappointed, but it won't affect the relationship him and Huw have because he understands that football is a business nowadays." Bookies are placing bets on who will be the new Swansea manager with Martin O'Neill said to be the front runner.

martin_o_neill.jpg

I was shocked at why he was sacked, but more delighted because I had one of the top footballing agents in the country and I knew that if we put our minds to it we'd be able to pip O'Neill to that job! So I immediately grabbed my mobile and rang Ted, my agent. As soon as he answered he said "Don't worry Ben, I've already got you an interview with Huw Jenkins tomorrow morning, at 8am." I was delighted! I couldn't hide my excitement and that night I struggled to even get to sleep. I was like a little boy on Christmas eve.

So the next morning me and Ted set off in his Range Rover Sport on our quest to Wales.I dozed off for what seemed about 10 seconds, but Ted woke me telling me we were near the Liberty Stadium where we were meeting the Chairman Huw Jenkins. We turned a corner and suddenly it was there. The place I was hoping to call home, the Liberty Stadium.

Liberty_Stadium_3.jpg

I turned to Ted and said "Wow, that's beautiful!" He smiled and agreed and said "Come on Ben, we've got to meet this chairman and land you the job." We entered the reception and Mr Jenkins was already standing there waiting and we said our hellos and shook hands, where he then guided us to his pitch side office.​

Huw Jenkins: Let's cut to the chase Mr Campbell, I want you in charge here. I feel you're the right man for this job, experience or not. I feel you've got what it takes to run this team and guide up to the top flight, so I'll put the offer on the table now. I will give you a deal to June 2012, worth £7,000 a week. How do you feel?

Ben Campbell: Wow, really!? I don't know what to say Mr Chairman. Of course I'll run this team and together we can become the successful champions you always wanted!

We had a few drinks and as me and Ted left, BBC Reporters had caught wind of what was going on and started to question me and my managerial skills, but Ted told me to just not say anything, so we ignored them. I got home, checked the BBC Sport website to find this..

sportheader.png

BBC Sport understands that Swansea City have today appointed inexperienced man Ben Campbell as their new manager on a contract until June 2012. Some Swansea fans are questioning Huw Jenkins decision to sack Rodgers and replace him with someone who only passed his coaching badges a couple of months back. Other fans are said to be relishing the chance to see what Campbell can do with there team. Campbell with start work in his new job and report back to pre-season training on June 10th.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 AM ----------

1881753-vlarge.jpg

Huw Jenkins: Welcome to the club Ben. As I told you before, you'll be on a contract until June 2012 worth £7,000 a week. Please ignore the claims from the media that you're to inexperienced and get on with the job in hand.
I have given you a budget of £2,000,000 and a wage budget of £115,000. The club are already spending £95,000 a week on wages. In about half hour or so you'll be facing the media so I suggest you suit yourself up. I hope we can get on together and move Swansea City Football Club forward!

Later that day Ben Campbell has to face questions from the media.

Media: You sit here as the new manager of Swansea. Is this your dream job?

Ben Campbell: I am absolutely delighted to be appointed, it is a dream come true!

Media: You arrive at the club where as a replacement for Brendan Rogers, who was sacked last month. Do you think you'll be able to bring success here?

Ben Campbell: I really hope so! This club deserves success and everything is in place for me to make it happen.

Media: What are we going to expect from you in the transfer market? Are you a bargain hunter or are you one to splash the cash?

Ben Campbell: Either really. If I think the players good enough to spend money on then I will, but if I think there's a bargain to be won out there, then I'll go out and grab it!

A Swansea City representative jumps in and calls the press conference to a stop, with most of the question beings answered.

Last edited:
Cheers.

Thanks for everyone who's following. Comments and advice would be hugely appreciated as it's my first story.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

The day arrives, my first day as manager of Swansea City!

0,,10354~217338,00.jpg

So, I arrived for my first day at work. I was excited, nervous but really looking forward to hopefully taking this club forward. As I drove into the training ground car park I could see a parking space labelled "manager" which was obviously meant for me. I entered the changing rooms, got changed into my tracksuit and stuck my boots from the 90's on. I jogged out of the door onto the pitch and could see already my assistant Alan Curtis warming up the team, and preparing them for me. I went over and introduced myself to the lads..

Ben Campbell: Right lads, you know who I am, you know why I'm here and most of all you know what we're all meant to be doing. Getting this club into the Premier League, the worlds famous league! So lets get on with it. First off, I want you to do a bit of passing a tackling so get yourselves into a group and do a bit of passing and tackling work. Your first pre-season match is tomorrow, so let's go!

0,,10354~217340,00.jpg

The lads seemed up for the challenge, and it seemed all I was there to do was give them a lift and a helping hand when they needed it, but for everything else, they seemed brilliant so I left them and my coaching team to it and went to do some paperwork and catch-up with the Chairman.

Pre-season friendly results

Rochdale 2-2 Swansea​
I wasn't to bothered about the result as I just wanted the lads to get a feel of my formation and tactics, but I was pleased to see Andrea Orlandi get himself on the scoresheet twice.

Swansea 4-0 ADO Den Haag
Fantastic result for us. New boy Henri Lansbury getting his first goal out of the way, with an own goal and Scotty Sinclair getting a brace. We dominated possession, had far more shots and totally played them out of the game.

Ostersunds FK 0-3 Swansea
Once again, I'm delighted! All 3 goals coming in the first 18 minutes with a couple from Jazz Richards, and a Stephen Dobie goal to round it off. Thoroughly deserved by us.

Swansea 2-1 Fulham
The possession was evenly shared in this game but our 14 shots to thier 8 just shows why we won. We got half our shots on target aswell which I'm pleased about as we talked about that in training. Another pat on the back for the boys.

Port Talbot 0-4 Swansea
Brilliant performance. We're playing with confidence at the minute and everybodys loving it. The goals coming from new loanee Nile Ranger, a double from Scott Donnelly and Mark Gower completely an impressive 4-0 win.

Neath 0-6 Swansea
Magnificent! Ok, I admit these are the teams we should no doubt be beating but to stick 6 past any team isn't easy, I can assure you that. Dave Cotterill, a Nathan Dyer double, Scott Donnelly and an Alan Tate penalty completed the rout.

The summer ins.
Henri Lansbury - Season long loan.

henri-lansbury-217x300.jpg

Henri is somewhat a brilliant signing for me. A highly rated youngster from Arsenal who's very technical, strong and very powerful. He's got the skill to get past anyone and could put the ball in the back of the net when asked.

Michael Ball - Free transfer.

5c0727ac7ddf292600ed2e818275e790.jpg

I'd say Michael's capture is a bargain! A free agent who was interested in a move here and didn't want huge wages. I was in need of a left-back and he was the perfect man for the job.

Gael Kakuta - Season long loan.

Kakuta-300x180.jpg

Gael is someone I really needed. I was lacking skill on the right wing and I'm the type of manager who wants a winger who can skin a player and stick it into the mixer and I scouted Gael, with scout reports coming back as a quality signing. How could I turn him down!?

Nile Ranger - Season long loan.

nile-ranger-25423218.jpg

I was lacking a bit of height and pace up front with Shefti Kuqi now turning 34. Nile's got brilliant acceleration, pace, power and of course he's a very tall guy. Glad to have him aboard ship.

Seamus Coleman - Season long loan.

1282823554-coleman.jpg

I needed a right back for competition with Angel Rangel, so once again I sent my scouts to go and look for a loan signing just until I got a bit of money from Mr Chairman. Seamus was one I couldn't turn down. A bright prospect for the future!

Adam Bogdan - £1,100,000.

Bogdan_2492749.jpg

Adam Bogdan, a quality young prospect. A goalkeeper who at his best, could be one of the brightest Premiership talent in a few years to come. For now, he'll have to challenge De Vries for the Swansea City number one jersy!

The summer outs.

Mark Gower - £300,000 to Reading.
I felt like with Scott Sinclair, Henri Lansbury, David Cotterill and Gael Kakuta, Gower was surplus to my requirements to my plans. I gave him a little run-out but unfortunately, he didn't seem brilliant.

Jordi Lopez - £100,000 to Blackburn.
Jordi was a player who wasn't rated highly by my scouts, was nearing 30 years old and was on a staggering £8,000 a week, so I needed to reduce the wage bill a bit. I wish Jordi all the best at his new club.