Szig3t's Counter tactic vs PL/UCL Beasts

• Thread starter Thread starter szig3t
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 0
  • Views Views 2K

szig3t

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

this is my first time uploading a tactic to the fm-base forum. I have been reading about numerous tactics since fm11, but never posted. Since fm13 is considered by many (including me) harder than previous versions, especialy when playing away from home, I will post the tactic im using when playing against beast teams (utd, city, chelsea, bayern etc) in Premier League and European competitions.
Im currently managing Newcastle and im in the second season. The tactic was created in patch 13.1.3 and has provided my team with good results. I havent tested it throughoutly yet, mostly because im only using it on games vs very strong teams (mostly away but some times home too). I havent used it home vs weaker and I would suggest you stick with the tactics posted by other members when playing home, since they have been proven stable and reliable (btw at this point I would like to thank great tactitians on this forum such as THB, Raikan, Zero Sea, Koflok, JP etc for their tactics and guides/discussion threads - they have helped me a lot with the game).

Any feedback is welcome - feel free to criticise
Szig3t

Cross Fingers and Counter Attack

Formation and Team Instructions
View attachment 286392

Touchline Shouts

- Exploit the Flanks
- Look for Overlap
- When the other team puts great pressure Stand back more

Opposition Instructions
- I use assistant manager but also always make sure that
- MCs / AMC are always closed down
- AMRL close down and show player onto weaker foot
- DR/DL close down and show player onto weaker foot when I see them playing offensively and going for crosses

Match Results
As I mentioned earlier I am using this tactic when away vs big teams so I cant provide you with tons of match-screenshots.Still, the little I got is kinda impressive:
-vs Bayern Away
View attachment 286393View attachment 286394
-vs Bayern Home (I still cant forget this match, my players were on fire for some reason, dont expect such results)
View attachment 286395View attachment 286396
-vs City Away
View attachment 286397View attachment 286398
-vs Spurs Away
View attachment 286399View attachment 286401
-vs Vila Away (not a beast team I know, I cant recall why I used a counter formation at that match)
View attachment 286405View attachment 286406
-vs Chelsea Away
View attachment 286407View attachment 286408
-vs Milan Away
View attachment 286487View attachment 286489
-vs Utd Away (CL game)
View attachment 286605View attachment 286606
Ofcourse there have been some bad results too, Ill post some screenshots for anyone interested, but I feel I need to point out that at the following games I was trying to play a Stopper-Cover CD setup, noticing that the opponent team was using a lone striker. That didnt work out - at least with my settings-, created space in my defence and I concieded due to through balls.
-vs City Away (Cup game with many reserve players 3 days before league game that I posted before)
View attachment 286409View attachment 286410
-vs Utd Away (I posted Utd player stats to point out the amount of key passes that teared my stopper-cover defence apart)
View attachment 286412View attachment 286413

Match Prep
-team cohesion until season starts
-defending or defending set pieces when against Hightower teams (tall, strong opponents)

Suggestion on players
TM: Your team's tower. Strong, tall, with good heading and balance. Being able to pass and create is a huge bonus, but his main role is to recieve a cross and either shot or try to pass to poacher
Poacher: Your speedy finisher. Acceleration, finishing, flair and off the ball are the stats I would look for.
Wingers: They are usualy the ones that the DLP gives the ball to. Their role is to hug the touchline and run, looking for a cross to the TM. Crossing, dribling, acceleration, pace are the most important stats, and making sure they dont have inverted legs. You need a right-footed AMR and left-footed AML. (This is the reason I was trying to avoid using Ben Arfa with this tactic)
DMs: Both of them need to be good at defence. Their instructions are to tackle hard and they will mostly tackle the enemy AMC. Now, given the fact AMCs are usually good dribblers, you need high tackling ability, so that you avoid fouls/yellows/reds. The DLP can benefit from passing/creativity/decisions/crossing or any other creative stat, but again, tackling/anticipation/determination/marking are mostly important.
FB: I would mostly look for defensive stats, since their role is to defend. Crossing and dribbling are always welcome but tackling, marking, acceleration, potitioning and heading are more important.
CB: Those 2 will get most man of the match awards with this tactic. You need to have good centerbacks since they will absorb all the pressure. Marking, anticipation, positioning, heading, strength, pace, bravery, I cant think of any defensive stat that isn't very important. (Swkratis Papastathopoulos from Werder has been a miracle transfer for me, and Im keeping funds for Kyriakos Papadopoulos of Schalke to complete my "greek defend" wall. I strongly suggest them both)

Some facts about the tactic
If you decide to try my tactic there are a few facts you are commited to. You will heavily lose to possesion. This tactic is built on this fact. What I wanted when I created this tactic is to let the opponents have the ball, make them push higher up, so when I manage to steal the ball, I can have a good chance of counter attacking and find them out of possition. The idea is to win the ball, give it to the wingers and send them running. TM is tweaked a bit, I find those settings are helping him not be isolated.

Least Important Facts
-Im using standard pitch dimensions but never tried max or min to check what is working best
-Sorry for my bad english

Last but not least
I am not promising anyone a 100% away win ratio. I just found out that this tactic is working for me and thought it would be good to share.

Last edited:
Back