steveneales

Reaction score
I use a somewhat unusual tactic with my Serie A side Palermo. I normally use a 4-3-1-2 but have decided to change it up a bit. Mine now is a sort of 2-3-2-1-2!
It goes like this:

-------------------------Sweeper Keeper (Support)------------------------------
-----------Central Defender (Defend) - Central Defender (Defend)-----------------

-Wing back (Attack) --------Anchor man (Defend) ---------- Wing back (attack)---

------------Advanced Playmaker (support) - Ball Winner (Support)----------------

-----------------------------Attacking Midfielder (Attack)-----------------------

------------------------Poacher ---------Complete Forward (Attack)------------

Ok so now I know this tactic is somewhat gung-ho, but I thought the defensive triangle trio of the two CD's and the anchor man would give the tactic some defensive solidity. I was wrong. As so far I am the top scorers in the league, but also at the top when it comes to conceding.
My team instructions are:

Very Fluid
Standard

Shorter Passing
More Expressive
Press More

I have them set to have a pushed up defensive line, default width (normal), adjusted tempo (still normal) and to rarely time-waste. I have also clicked counter attack and play offside.

When it comes to player instructions all I have done is set the CAM to longshots - rarely and the two CM's to zonal marking.

Basically what I would like help is is making this tactic more solid in defence. I know in-game Juventus use a similar looking formation but having 3 CB's instead of a CAM and their defensive record is phenomenal. So can anyone help me making my tactic more solid defensively whilst maintaining the attacking prowess?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

EDIT - I noticed nearly all of my goals conceded comes from direct play down the wing with a cross into the box. Would setting the wing backs to support help this?

Hi!

I think you have already answered your question. You get exposed out wide and as the player making the cross into the box will have all the time in the world on the ball, the cross will be quality, hence conceding. In some cases, one of your DCs will try to close down the winger and then the ball is put into the box for an easy tap in.

Setting the wingbacks to support is one option but when launching a counter attack, they will still get really high up in the pitch and you will get hit on the counter like in the scenario described.

In short, it's not a balanced tactic so either drop the anchorman into DC, or drop the wingbacks into fullbacks and NO offside and drop the d-line, or drop the d-line and use a sweeper instead or an anchorman

Hi!

I think you have already answered your question. You get exposed out wide and as the player making the cross into the box will have all the time in the world on the ball, the cross will be quality, hence conceding. In some cases, one of your DCs will try to close down the winger and then the ball is put into the box for an easy tap in.

Setting the wingbacks to support is one option but when launching a counter attack, they will still get really high up in the pitch and you will get hit on the counter like in the scenario described.

In short, it's not a balanced tactic so either drop the anchorman into DC, or drop the wingbacks into fullbacks and NO offside and drop the d-line, or drop the d-line and use a sweeper instead or an anchorman

Many thanks for the reply mate! Never entertained the thought of a sweeper before, think I'm going to try that as Munoz is a very capable sweeper I think. Cheers mate.