Tactical 3 Pack: My 3 best possesion counter-attack Tactics. 4-3-3 | 3-5-2 | 3-2-4-1

Bald Fraud

Reaction score
Using all 3 of these tactics throughout the season will grant you success. If you can't break a team down with one, switch to another tactic mid game, you will be hailed as a "tinkerer" and "tactician" in the game.

4-3-3

View attachment 24967

Here's me dominating Juve with this tactic
View attachment 24972

With the 433, the wide players can either be switched to Winger(Support) or Advanced Playmaker(Attack), depending on opposition, your players or tweak you decide to make; if you're playing a team that congests the middle, it sounds counter intuitive, but the advanced playmaker selection can work too because it gives the 2 wide players a freeer role and they can drift in and out. In the previous version of this tactic, I used 3 roaming playmakers in the middle and while I did see success, I had less chances created overall, so its up to you if you want to try to tweak that. You can either start the game on Balanced or Cautious and adjust from there.

3-5-2(3-5-1-1)

View attachment 24971
This is my newest tactic, so I haven't really been playing around with player roles but it's solid as it stands, also creates a lot of chances and is solid, I can't say for sure because I've only managed the same team(who was quality central defenders) but I would assume you need 3 mentally good CBS due to lack of wing cover but on the flip side, they don't get tested much because your midfield has so much of the ball. Start with a cautious mentality and adjust.

3-2-4-1

View attachment 24966

Another solid tactic, but this creates the least chances overall. This is a big game tactic, for when you need to score one goal and protect the lead. I won the CL final against Arsenal using this and they barely had a chance to win. If you have good set pieces, it takes the ethos of this tactic to another level. Start with a Balanced mentality

I never use OIs, the player instructions are already set, and it's imperative before you come back and tell me they don't work, USE A LOW TEMPO WHILE YOUR PLAYERS ARE GETTING USED TO THE TACTICS, when they become expertly familiar and their team cohesion is high(or if you manage a world class team), you can switch the tempo to slightly higher or the highest and it takes all 3 of these tactics to the next level, like Barcelona under Pep at their Tiki Taka greatest.

3-2-4-1:
View attachment 24952

3-5-1-1:
View attachment 24951

4-3-3
View attachment 24950 (More attacking threat)
View attachment 24949 (More Possesion/Defensive)

Last edited:
And how and when use which one?? In what kind of situations,or what kind of matches?

And how and when use which one?? In what kind of situations,or what kind of matches?

I mentioned that in the descriptions. But it's all up to you, what you like and the results you see with the players you have. Me personally I use the 433 and 3511 the most now because I was able to buy better players after winning the CL. You can also study your opponents team report and look at the tactics that give them the most problems and choose one of the 3 that is closest to that or poses the biggest threat. They're all 3 good tactics when your team learns them efficiently .

Using Plug n Play tactics already is kind of taking the game out of your hands, I don't want be basically playing the game for you, make your own choices based off of what you see and the results you get.

Please report back on the tactical success if you decide to use these.

Hi Bald,
I'm trying your tactic (4-3-3 offensive version) in the second part of italian serie A, year 2019-2020, with Foggia (after promotion from Italian serie B). First I make You my congratulations: the tactic have a good potential, I proceed to explain (sorry for my bad english).

This team I manage is the classic underdog: maximun CA of top players on december was about 130 (Parigini, Tiru, Provedel, Febas) for the others players instead I had value from 115 to 123-124.
After the promotion, I was'n satisfied on my 4-3-3 narrow, so I decide to try the 4-4-1-1 Virtuos I found on this forum:
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm19-tactics/373701-4-4-2-virtuous.html

The results with this tactic was excellent, I'm predicted to finish 18° and I realise in 20 games (11 of them away) 10 winnings and 7 draws, with 36 goals scored and 26 goal conceded. I wasn't satisfied for 2 reasons: 1) i love 4-3-3 and dominating the possession 2) 26 goals conceded in 20 partite and many clean opportunities for the IA are too many.

So I switched to 4-3-3 *** version and I realize in 17 games 10 wins and 4 draws with 37 goals scored and 17 goals conceded, with % of possession in almost all match near to 60%.

TACTIC'S STRONGNESS
1- It seems to be the best away tactics for underdogs (4 wins on 6 games). The balanced mentality is the focus point for a flexible tactical behaviour.
2 -The tactics doesn't work with the same effectiveness against TOP TEAMS (Juve, Milan, Inter) if You are underdog, neither at home nor away, not only in the final results.
3 - The football played is beautiful to see, all the goals scored are equally divided among all players (defenders, midfielders, advanced playmakers and forward)
4- The tactics is very effective on attacking corners and free kicks.

TACTIC'S WEAKNESS

1- Many shots on and off targets, few clean opportunities (i tried to change the AP in Winger, but AP is more effective, for the motivations you wrote) mainly in home match.
2 - Exposure to counter-attacks of opposition teams, maybe I need faster central defender

The results are anyway very good, I'm 2° with only 3 match we have to play and Europa league qualification already reached.
With middle or high teams I think this is devastating tactic.

For the best result with any team I think it's important to have FB with good offensive attributes but above all the AP in the winger role with high technical attributes

View attachment 23348
View attachment 23347

Last edited: