Wolverhampton Wanderers - The Portuguese Project

I managed to have a 10-6-10 record in my first 26 PL Matches but i polster the squad at the beginning of the season with Crespo from Fenerbahce. What's nearly impossible for me was to win against a top side. I lost every game just with 1 goal difference. It was hard to take they kill my tactics during every game.

Godd luck mate, this squad is **** from bottom to top :rolleyes:

Hanging in there buddy! Hope they give you that January transfer window to make the changes the squad so badly needs!

I managed to have a 10-6-10 record in my first 26 PL Matches but i polster the squad at the beginning of the season with Crespo from Fenerbahce. What's nearly impossible for me was to win against a top side. I lost every game just with 1 goal difference. It was hard to take they kill my tactics during every game.

Godd luck mate, this squad is **** from bottom to top :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's been a struggle against the big teams, even when the team plays well, it seems they still end up on the losing side.

Chapter 8: A Crucial Transfer Window

transfer-logo-2020-2.jpeg

We had to balance our fixture list this month with the most vital of windows. We need to do our best to both keep hold of key players whilst bringing in crucial reinforcements. The next four weeks could make or break our season and determine whether I'm still in a job come the end of it.

EPL Matchday 19: Southampton vs Wolves
2 Jan.png

We began the month by collecting a huge three points away at Saint Mary's against Southampton. It was Max Kilman's first half header that proved the difference and we held out for a massive result.

4 Jan.png

A couple of days after the victory and I was met with the news that the confidence had been improved, and subsequently, I was not getting sacked, at least not for now.

Not long after, though, and one of our key players was out the door...
5 Jan.png

It was the Mexican striker Raul Jimenez. He'd been a faithful servant to the club for a few seasons now, but we agreed to sell him for just over 25 million. I would likely have accepted such an offer for a 31-year-old regardless of who it was from, but the fact that it was from Real Madrid meant I could not afford to reject it.

However, soon after I made a bold decision to reject a major bid...
6 Jan.png

I turned down Newcastle's offer of 60+ million for Ruben Neves for two reasons. One, he was willing to negotiate for a new contract and wasn't looking to force his way out. Two, he is simply too crucial to our team for me to let him go. Yes, the offer was decent, but the calibre of midfielders interested in joining just was not at the same level. We need Neves here, and I made the decision to do all I can to keep him.

FA Cup 3rd Round: Sunderland vs Wolves
7 Jan.png

It's not too often we enjoy comfortable results, but in our first FA Cup outing of the season we did just that, beating Sunderland 3-0 with a slightly rotated squad.

9 Jan.png

But another name was soon out the door in Adama Traore. He had no interest in signing a new deal, and came to me to say that he would explore his options at the end of his contract. Therefore, when Spurs' offer came in, I accepted because we wanted to at least recoup some money for him, rather than lose him for free.

12 Jan.png

And with one sale comes two, with Hwang Hee-Chan off to Mexico with Club America. I was looking to sell him from day one really, and he never impressed in the appearances he did get under my tenure, meaning he's the next one shipped off.

With no recruitments up till this point, it meant our squad was even thinner going into our next game against Everton...

EPL Matchday 20: Wolves vs Everton
14 Jan ii.png

Where we unfortunately fell to a relatively late Dominic Calvert-Lewin goal. Perhaps it could have finished 0-0, but it was a tight game and Everton just about edged it overall.

14 Jan.png

And just like that, Ruben Neves agreed a new contract on 93k per week, keeping him at the club until 2027. Even though it's not a new signing, it's still a huge move for the club.

But we did soon welcome a new arrival...
16 Jan i.png

20-year-old right-back Tiago Santos was our first signing of the window. He may not be a familiar name, but the full-back is a bright prospect who can contribute now and improve in the future. Nelson Semedo is looking to force his way out the club, so we've made the proactive move to buy someone in to replace him.

16 Jan ii.png

Santos has all the making of a good quality right-back who can develop into an even better one. Look forward to seeing how he develops and hopefully the signing proves a successful one.

17 Jan i.png

Our next signing was a more expensive one, with Joao Pedro costing us close to 30 million to bring in. One of my aims in the market this January was to bring versatile players in to give us more depth options. Joao Pedro will be a starter, but his ability to play all across the frontline will likely come in handy where injuries may arise.

17 Jan ii.png

As you can see, the Brazilian is fully accomplished in four attacking positions. He, much like Santos, has significant future potential and should be an asset at the club for years to come.

18 Jan.png

It's a good thing Santos is coming in too, with first-choice full-back Jonny being out injured for almost a month.

EPL Matchday 21: Nottingham Forest vs Wolves
21 Jan ii.png

Monumental. With the score at 0-0 and Nottingham Forest down to 10 men, this was a huge opportunity for us to collect another crucial three points. But, despite our constant pressure, we were wasteful and it looked like we were destined for a frustrating draw. Thankfully, though, Rayan Ait-Nouri's late cross is met by Forest's own Scott McKenna, who can do nothing but help it into the back of his own net. Our players leap into raptures and we celebrate a vital win.

21 Jan.png

Whilst we are light in midfield, I felt that Connor Ronan was still expendable. The Irishman failed to impress me over the first half of the season and moves to Germany for just under 5 million.

23 Jan.png

Tiago Santos enjoyed a very solid debut, but unfortunately, he now will sit out the next 6 weeks with a knee injury. It's extremely unfortunate, but we'll have to do as best we can now. It's a good thing Semedo hasn't found a buyer just yet, because with Jonny out too, he's really our only fit right-back.

25 Jan.png

To bolster our midfield, we bring in Sander Berge from Sheffield United. He's one of the better quality players in the Championship, and will be a great depth option for us to have here.

25 Jan ii.png

Berge is still just 24 years old, giving him room to grow as well. Like I addressed earlier, versatility is key, and Berge provides that, being able to drop back or move forward in midfield when required.

FA Cup 4th Round: Wolves vs Reading
28 Jan ii.png

It's another comfortable FA Cup win, which I am happy about. It's quite coincidental how in both FA Cup games, Kalajdzic and Traore scored the first two goals, before the 3rd came in stoppage time. Regardless, it is good to keep our progress going in this competition.

28 Jan.png

We just are not having off-the-pitch luck at the moment. Sasa Kalajdzic has struggled for us, but with Jimenez gone, Diego Costa is now our only natural striker, and he has not netted or provided a single goal in a Wolves shirt. Not great news.

Deadline day was fast approaching, and with next to no money left, I turned to the loan market.

31 Jan i.png

To combat those striker deficiencies, I loaned in Danny Namaso from Porto. I included a relatively small optional future fee which we'll activate should the 22-year-old perform. It's a relatively risk-free signing, and he gives us some more important depth.

31 Jan ii.png

Namaso provides a similar versatility to that of Joao Pedro, and will likely play the back-up to the Brazilian.

31 Jan iii.png

I mentioned earlier that Semedo was our only fit right-back, so Timothy Fosu-Mensah also comes in on loan with just a few hours remaining in the window. Like Namaso, he comes with an optional future fee, but unless he transcends my expectations entirely, I doubt very much that he'll come in permanently.

31 Jan iv.png

I feel like I've said it a million times already, but we have brought in another player that provides a range of options. He can play right-back, centre-back or sit in midfield. I agreed to Bayer's request of him being a regular starter, but in truth he'll play the back-up role.

We were unable to find a buyer for Semedo, which I have mixed feelings about. It's good in the short-term because he's our best right-back right now, but when Jonny and Tiago Santos return to fitness, it'll mean he's stuck on the bench more often than not, unless he decides that he wants to stay after all.

Player of the Month
POTM iv.png

Amidst a very hectic and busy month, we actually had one of best months on the pitch. A lot of that was down to Rayan Ait-Nouri. Never have I had an easier choice for Player of the Month, and the Frenchman, in a slightly more attacking full-back role, was absolutely fantastic.

League Table
League Table iv.png

We're sitting in mid-table for now, but still just 2 points off 18th. The bottom half is extremely close, and we have to be careful to not go on losing streaks. Even just picking up points will be vital over the remainder of the season.​

A very busy Window and some great results. Hope you can keep up the good work. Best of Luck mate

Chapter 9: New Signings Settling In

guedes-signs.jpg

Going into our next home game and I decided to give starts to both Sander Berge and Joao Pedro, with loanee arrivals Danny Namaso and Timothy Fosu-Mensah both on the bench.

EPL Matchday 22: Wolves vs Fulham
FUL.png

But we succumbed to a truly disappointing result. For some reason, we just perform terribly against Fulham whenever we play them, and it was no different today. Although we went 1-0 up and that was the scoreline going into the 2nd half, two goals from Aleksandar Mitrovic saw us on the losing side today.

EPL Matchday 23: Leeds vs Wolves
8 Feb.png

The optimism of last month has swiftly worn off as we fall to a 2-0 loss to a relegation threatened Leeds side. One flat performance follows another, and we simply did not do enough in this match to deserve anything from it.

8 Feb i.png

And just like that, we were here once again. The board again asked to meet with me, although this time I would say it is a little harsh, considering our successful January results.

8 Feb ii.png

Perhaps they had those results in mind when they agreed to give me another month to attempt to save my job.

10 Feb.png

After our tough run of fixtures, I wanted to have a look at the xG table, because, a lot of the times, the xG stats were quite close. It turns out that we should actually sit 11th rather than 17th based on our expected points, and that is the biggest positional change out of any of the teams in the league.

EPL Matchday 24: Wolves vs Southampton
11 Feb.png

We respond to the pressure with a vital 1-0 win up against Southampton. We edged them out by the same scorline just last month, and repeating that result is more than welcome. It was a close game even with the Saints having 10 men, but a spectacular solo goal from Daniel Podence did the damage.

EPL Matchday 25: Manchester City vs Wolves
19 Feb.png

Having spoken earlier about xG, this match was exactly the opposite. We should've been far more than 2 down in this match but, regardless, we did lose to City. The one positive was a beautiful counter attack goal that resulted in our two new signings, Joao Pedro and Sander Berge, combining to notch a consolation.

21 Feb.png

The injuries keep on coming, significantly to our backline. This time it's centre-back Max Kilman who'll be out for a few weeks.

EPL Matchday 26: Wolves vs Newcastle
26 Feb.png

What a result! Diego Costa gets a goal and assist as he finally does something. Our lack of striker options forced us to give him another appearance, and although he'd done next to nothing in his 11 games so far, he turned in a vintage performance to guide us to a massive 2-0 win against the Magpies.

Player of the Month
POTM v.png

I was tempted to give this to Diego Costa for the fact that he finally did something positive, but new signing Sander Berge has settled in comfortably and was our best player this month.

League Table
League Table v.png

The month got better as it went on, and we find ourselves sitting still just outside the relegation zone in 16th, but we can still climb it just as easily, sitting just 3 points off 10th.​

I'd normally say about 35 points might be enough to stay up in the Prem, but this year it looks like you might need the magical 40 as it's proper tight down there. Still, seem to be grinding out enough results to do it mate!

I'd normally say about 35 points might be enough to stay up in the Prem, but this year it looks like you might need the magical 40 as it's proper tight down there. Still, seem to be grinding out enough results to do it mate!
Yeah, it's not too often that the table is quite this close, but one thing I'll say since January is that we're winning more games. It was a lot of draws in the first half of the season but we haven't had nearly as many since the window.

Chapter 10: Fighting for Survival

GettyImages-1435875668-1140x760.jpg

There were just three fixtures in March, with one being an FA Cup tie against Manchester United. Still, though, the league games against Brighton and Crystal Palace are both extremely important.

FA Cup 5th Round: Wolves vs Manchester United
1 Mar (FA Cup 5th Round).png

For 80 minutes, it looked like we could pull off an upset victory. It was, in fact, a very one-sided match, but we'd somehow found ourselves in front with around 10 minutes to go. Unfortunately, though, two late United goals saw them knock us out of the competition. They've become a bit of an enemy for us lately, eliminating us from both the Carabao Cup and FA Cup, as well as beating us in the league.

EPL Matchday 27: Brighton vs Wolves
4 Mar.png

But just a few days later and the mood around the camp was significantly more positive, courtesy of Boubacar Traore's thumping last minute winner to give us a vital 1-0 away win against Brighton. It was a close-fought, scrappy affair and the one moment of true quality decided it.

10 Mar.png

Perhaps stemming from that victory, the board, for the second time this season, decided that I'd done enough to keep hold of my job once more.

EPL Matchday 28: Wolves vs Crystal Palace
11 Mar.png

Frustrating, but still an important point. The reason it's frustrating was because we were given a 68th minute penalty. With Ruben Neves having come off, the responsibility was left to striker Diego Costa. Having turned hero in the last post, he swiftly returned to villain status as he put it wide of the left hand post.

11 Mar ii.png

The xG was largely in our favour, sitting at almost 2.00. It was a familiar story, but at least we did not lose.

Player of the Month
POTM.png

Goalkeeper Jose Sa was extremely solid between the sticks this month, keeping two clean sheets. However, his best performance was probably in the FA Cup tie against United, where he was the reason we had a chance of progressing at all.

League Table
League Table.png

We now sit 6 points ahead of the relegation zone. It's a decent gap, but still not enough to declare ourselves safe with 10 games remaining.​

Last edited:
Chapter 11: Securing Safety?

dec257b0-b675-11ec-b548-a7b348f6562f.jpg

April was undoubtedly the defining month of our season, being the second to last month and containing significant fixtures. After the break from March to now, the players were close to full fitness and hopefully better than ever.

EPL Matchday 29: Manchester United vs Wolves
1 Apr.png

Result of the season? I think so. We played undoubtedly our best football of the season, especially in the first half. I'd never seen us carve open opposition like we were able to do today, and Boubacar Traore continues to blossom in our midfield, meaning Joao Moutinho is restricted to a bench role. This was a fantastic win, and even though they scored after going down to 10 men to make it 3-2, we held out and got the victory we deserved.

EPL Matchday 30: Wolves vs Leicester
9 Apr.png

Out of nowhere, the goals started flowing for us, and we cruised to a 3-0 victory against Leicester. It was a complete performance, with everyone playing well, and we have taken some massive steps toward survival in these opening two April fixtures.

EPL Matchday 31: Bournemouth vs Wolves
16 Apr.png

The run of form comes to halt as we labour to a 1-1 draw away to Bournemouth. Every point counts now from here on out, though, so at least we came out of the match with something.

16 Apr ii.png

It was another one of those games where we dominated but failed to capitalise on that domination. I'd even thought we'd won it right at the end when Guedes had the ball in the net, but it was correctly ruled out for offside.

22 Apr.png

Considering his fantastic recent form, I snapped up Boubacar Traore on a permanent basis, with the midfielder costing me a bargain 2.5 million pounds.

EPL Matchday 32: Wolves vs West Ham
23 Apr.png

Wow. We are finding our feet at the best possible time of the season, recording another 3-0 win, this time against West Ham, who are a more than decent side. It was just as well that we got such a positive set of results, because our next four fixtures consist of Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea.

EPL Matchday 33: Arsenal vs Wolves
26 Apr.png

And the first of those tough fixtures, against Arsenal, resulted in defeat. We did manage to go 1-0 up early doors, but they'd turned it around by halftime, and then a quiet second half meant the game fizzled out and finished 2-1.

EPL Matchday 34: Wolves vs Liverpool
29 Apr.png

It's hard to be too upset with these kinds of results. Liverpool are an extremely difficult side to play against, especially in FM. We gave it a good go, and Ruben Neves being sent off didn't exactly help our cause.

29 Apr ii.png

Regardless of the result, it's clear that our performances have improved this month. We managed to give Liverpool a good fight, especially considering we were down to 10 men for the final half an hour of the match.

Young Player of the Month
YPOTM.png

Great to see that two of our players make up the top three in the Young Player of the Month rankings. We've got a bright future ahead of us with Traore now secured permanently, and Joao Pedro is proving a great signing early on in his Wolves career.

Player of the Month
POTM ii.png

And Pedro's recent form means he also earns my Player of the Month vote.

League Table
League Table ii.png

We are basically confirmed safe with four games remaining. Considering the ever-present threat of relegation that has been hanging over our heads this season, a top half finish is a genuine possibility. Although, as I said earlier, we do face both Tottenham and Chelsea, as well as Aston Villa and Brentford, in our final four games.​

At least you now have the all important 40 points which didn’t look likely for a while. What a turn around though

Yes mate! Well pleased to see you moving up to a respectable position after the year you've had!

Nicely turned around mate!! Time for a mini rebuild in the summer maybe?

At least you now have the all important 40 points which didn’t look likely for a while. What a turn around though
Yes mate! Well pleased to see you moving up to a respectable position after the year you've had!
Nicely turned around mate!! Time for a mini rebuild in the summer maybe?
It was certainly an unexpected run of form, especially in the goalscoring department. I think the makings of a decent squad are there for next season, but a couple of positions (centre-back, striker) need upgrades.

Chapter 12: Finishing the First Season

76f7215f-29eb-49e8-ab3f-9759385475b4.jpg

It's been a long and difficult first season at Wolves, but we've managed to keep our heads above water and begin to climb up the table in the last month. In our final four fixtures, our aim was to continue that run of positive form.

EPL Matchday 35: Tottenham vs Wolves
6 May.png

A terrific win. We take a 2-0 win away against Tottenham in satisfying fashion, displaying the clinical edge that we've lacked throughout the season. Diego Costa has begun to get himself amongst the goals after a dreadful first half of the season, and a fine outside of the box finish from Matheus Nunes finished the job.

EPL Matchday 36: Wolves vs Chelsea
13 May.png

It looked like we were set for defeat here against Chelsea, who scored twice in two minutes early in the second half to gain a 2-0 lead. However, we responded with our own four minute spell of two goals to get us back to 2-2 and that was how it finished in this one.

19 May.png

I was conflicted about whether I should renew Diego Costa's contract, but given that he's found some decent form and that our striker position still lacks depth, it made enough sense to give him a new deal.

After taking 4 points in the difficult games, we put ourselves in a position to possibly take a top-half finish...

EPL Matchday 37: Aston Villa vs Wolves
20 May.png

So of course we ended up on the losing side against Aston Villa. To be fair, they deserved the win, despite Joao Pedro putting us ahead after just two minutes. It was, though, a case of conceding two goals between the 50th and 60th minute once again, having just done the exact same thing against Chelsea.

Going into the final game, and goalkeeper Jose Sa had played every single minute of our season...
27 May.png

In typical FM fashion, however, he picked up a 4 week injury days before our final game, meaning he would not be able to play every minute of our season.

It meant that 25-year-old Matjia Sarkic was to be between the sticks in our final game against Brentford, who had not played a minute this campaign.

EPL Matchday 38: Wolves vs Brentford
28 May.png

We ultimately lose 1-0, but we played quite well. Ruben Neves missed a penalty, and our inability to finish from the spot is slightly concerning. It feels like we've missed just as many as we've scored this season, if not more, despite the fact that Neves has both good composure and penalty taking statistics. Despite our best efforts over the last couple months, top half just was not to be, but the main thing was avoiding the drop and keeping my job.

28 May ii.png

It was a fitting end to the season, I suppose. Matches had played out in this way for us on many occasions this season, and that was the case again in our final fixture of the 2022/23 Premier League season.

Player of the Month
POTM iii.png

Young right-back Tiago Santos has been really good in his time at the club. Due to injury, he hasn't been able to play as much as we'd have liked, but when he has been in the team, he's looked a real decent pick-up.

League Table
League Table iii.png

Ultimately, winning our final two games would only have taken us above Brentford, so to finish 13th is decent enough. We ended up meeting expectations this season, despite the fact that we seemed locked in a relegation battle earlier in the season.​

Chapter 13: 2022/23 Season Review

GettyImages-1239317253.jpg

It ended up being a solid season for us this year. Given the quality, or lack of, of the squad at the offset, I'd say we've done well enough to secure a 13th placed finish. Although we had a great little run of games in April, we often found it difficult to gain consistency and put together a regular run of form.

Season Review 1.png

The xG table is an accurate representation of our season. We often played well in matches but found ourselves dropping points or losing games that we should really have won.

SR2.png

SR3.png

Our inability to score goals is again highlighted by the above tables. We ended up having the 6th best defence in the league, however the 5th worst offence. It's clear where our problems lie, and we will look to improve that in the summer window.

SR4.png

I'm not 100% sure how the supporters are disappointed about the end to the season, given that it saw us climb the table significantly. Regardless, the fact that Ruben Neves was our top scorer, a midfielder, just goes to reinforce our lack of goalscoring. Scoring six goals in thirty-something matches is fine for a player like Neves, but it should never be a number that tops our scoring charts.

SR5.png

A set of 3-0 wins comprise our moments to remember. Neves was certainly a key cog in the Wolves machine once again this season, and his brilliant striker against Leicester lives long in the memory. Despite the fact that he signed a new contract in January, it will be difficult to keep him at the club.

SR6.png

One of the positives from our season was our finances. We are in a good place financially, and hopefully this means we can continue to improve the club both on and off the pitch in the next season.

SR7.png

This line-up would now include Joao Pedro and Tiago Santos, but neither of them played enough to warrant selection. None of our regular starting XI cracked the 7.00 average rating, but a few came close. A lot of this was from the first half of the season, though, and the averages improved as the season went on.

SR8.png

Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, Boubacar Traore is voted both Player of the Season and Young Player of the Season at the club awards. The 21-year-old midfielder was undoubtedly terrific, considering he was nothing more than a future prospect at the start of the season, but it still comes as a slight surprise given that he only started 20 of our 38 league games.

Summary

One thing I will say is that, whilst it was never easy, it was enjoyable. Grinding out a crucial wins here and there was difficult to sit through, but made it all the more rewarding when the final whistle blew. It was a constant battle, full of mixed results, but there's positives to take into next season. Young players have developed, and continuing to have a balance of youth and experience is an important facet to our progress.

My Player of the Season: Ruben Neves
My Young Player of the Season: Boubacar Traore
Needs Improvement: Nathan Collins
Most Disappointing: Goncalo Guedes

Despite the club awards, I would vote Ruben Neves our Player of the Season. Simply because he dictated the play through the midfield and his leadership qualities were crucial to our season. Yes, he did have a couple of missed penalties that cost us extra points, but he more than made up for it with some excellent goals across the season. Nathan Collins and Goncalo Guedes are players that I will look to keep at the club, however, they both need to step up if they want to stay for much longer.

SR9.png

And, as we look forward to next season, we have a solid budget of just over 50 million to make the necessary adjustments to improve our squad. There are some key decisions to be made, but hopefully the squad ends up better for it.​