Reaction score
Hello there.

I'm playing with Sporting CP (Portugal) and my style of play is all based on high possession football. I like my teams to play a high possession football but at the same time create chances with the ball. I've a doubt about what "pass into space" really means in game. Does it work well with high possession football? Creates more chances?

If anybody can explain me with maximum details what "pass into space" does and affects team play, I would be very thankfull!

I've a doubt about what "pass into space" really means in game.
It means exactly what it says. Players will have the option (and will be asked to try more) to pass into space. So players who are tightly marked can be found with a pass into space (to the side of the player or ahead or anywhere into space), rather than to their feet.

Just to add the to OP as I'm unsure myself- does it require better passing skills/off the ball/anticipation- or what kind of attributes, if any?

Just to add the to OP as I'm unsure myself- does it require better passing skills/off the ball/anticipation- or what kind of attributes, if any?

It'll depend on who in your setup would have the ball more often to do the passes and who would be the ones to do the runs to receive the passes. In general, the shout increases the likelihood of risky passes across the entire team. So for the passers it would require good creative attributes (decisions, flair, teamwork, anticipation, vision) and good passing attributes (passing and technique). For the runners, they'll need mobility (acceleration, pace, agility) and movement ( Off the ball, anticipation, decisions, teamwork, work rate).

Your tactic dictates which players would be the passers and which players would be the runners.

pass into space will quicken the process of creating a goal opportunity, and make your players try to force the issue, which is IMHO against possession football...

Sweet, cheers fellas. Have never used it, probably never will! Doesn't suit any philosophies of mine!

"Pass into space" is another way of saying "Try through balls." If your team is being tightly marked, this may allow your receivers to run onto the ball rather than have it intercepted. It would also tend to reduce ball retention, but might get the AI manager to lose the tight marking instruction. Teams relying on counter attacks may also find this useful, rather than the receiver slowing play down to take control of the ball.