Tactical question about attacking and counter-attacking

Kanij1980

Reaction score
Starting a save with Southampton with an Attacking/Fluid tactic here.

2129tnb.jpg

Now the question is, This probably won't work against the top tier teams so should probably have a tactic that's more of a counter-attacking mentality?

I just don't know what team instructions to swap around?

How about you just drop some players deeper, set passing to more direct and have a deeper defensive line? Formation will be easier to learn.

I tried setting a lower def line, more direct passing with the same formation, didn't seem to work well. Wondering if I was missing something. You know, I also noticed even when I win games my possession is <50%

I don't think I've had a game in 12-14 matches where I've had over 52% of the ball.. Odd?

Last edited:
If you want possession, use higher defensive line, hassle opponents, and cancel pass into space instruction.

If you think your players are good enough, use be more expressive instruction, and roam from positions.

And for a counter-attack?
Use a DLP to initiate counter attacks. Use a DM to disrupt the opposition's passing. Use a deeper line. Use higher tempo. More direct passing. Counter attack works well with a 4-1DM-2-2-1. The DM can be a DLP with defend too(read Makelele). Use 2 BBMs then.

I play Counter attacking in an attacking set up. Means my attacks are quick when the team wins the ball and hit them on the break. I haven't tried my tactic with lower team so I don't know.

4-3-3

One ball winning midfielder (DM)
DLP (Someone with excellent passing, creativity, technique and first touch, with PPM : "Tries long range passes") + Box to Box (Preferably with PPM : "Arrives late in opposition area") in midfield, IF (support) on both wings and a TM (support).

I use fullbacks as WB (support). One CD (stopper) the other one defend

I have around 2-3 player instructions on every player, sorry can't post tactic ATM as my laptop is down.

Playing mentality - Control, Fluidity - (I keep changing b/w balanced and rigid)

Instructions - Retain possession/More direct passing (depending upon opposition), Drill crosses, Run at defense. Drop deeper (or sometimes I leave it empty for normal defensive line), Play Narrower (more defensive stability), Higher Tempo.

I do tweak it a bit according to opposition and sometimes change to a different tactic if this doesn't seem to work in a specific game. (Let's admit, every tactic fails in that *one frustrating game*).

Sent from my C2104 using Tapatalk

I play Counter attacking in an attacking set up. Means my attacks are quick when the team wins the ball and hit them on the break. I haven't tried my tactic with lower team so I don't know.

4-3-3

One ball winning midfielder (DM)
DLP (Someone with excellent passing, creativity, technique and first touch, with PPM : "Tries long range passes") + Box to Box (Preferably with PPM : "Arrives late in opposition area") in midfield, IF (support) on both wings and a TM (support).

I use fullbacks as WB (support). One CD (stopper) the other one defend

I have around 2-3 player instructions on every player, sorry can't post tactic ATM as my laptop is down.

Playing mentality - Control, Fluidity - (I keep changing b/w balanced and rigid)

Instructions - Retain possession/More direct passing (depending upon opposition), Drill crosses, Run at defense. Drop deeper (or sometimes I leave it empty for normal defensive line), Play Narrower (more defensive stability), Higher Tempo.

I do tweak it a bit according to opposition and sometimes change to a different tactic if this doesn't seem to work in a specific game. (Let's admit, every tactic fails in that *one frustrating game*).

Sent from my C2104 using Tapatalk

I see. My concern is that the game adapts to my success and it's to the point where a 20th place Crystal Palace will beat me 5-0.

I don't have a DM but I'll swap to a DLP and see how it goes.

I see. My concern is that the game adapts to my success and it's to the point where a 20th place Crystal Palace will beat me 5-0.

I don't have a DM but I'll swap to a DLP and see how it goes.

Tell me about it, I was playing with Chelsea and got beat up by Cardiff City 6-1, lol. Away games seem a bit more difficult than IRL.

looks like a good setup, I would only change work ball into box to shot on sight

Keep the same set-up. Change mentality to 'Counter' add 'Hassle Opponents' and 'Stay on Feet'. Your team will look to restrict the space the opponent has, win the ball and be able to pass quickly because they stayed on there feet creating a counter attacking opportunity. I'd advise you to just add this to your tactic in general. 14 seems to hate on players who stand off in defence and they get destroyed. And as a nice side effect the more defensive mentality will up your possession XD

That formation is too aggressive for a game vs top teams. Make use of an Anchor Man or a Half Back.