Tactics "Dropping Off" Towards The End Of Season

• Thread starter Thread starter Dicko1878
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 2K

Dicko1878

Reaction score
So far on FM13 I've noticed that towards the end of the season my tactic seems to be dropping off towardds the end of the season. What happens is that at the start of the season I start off extremely well however towards the end my team is struggling so much to win games unlike the start of the season.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips on avoiding this?

Currently in 4th place with Everton and was 11 points clear of Wigan in 5th (this is after 28 games as well!) and now the gap has been reduced to 3.

So far on FM13 I've noticed that towards the end of the season my tactic seems to be dropping off towardds the end of the season. What happens is that at the start of the season I start off extremely well however towards the end my team is struggling so much to win games unlike the start of the season.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips on avoiding this?

Currently in 4th place with Everton and was 11 points clear of Wigan in 5th (this is after 28 games as well!) and now the gap has been reduced to 3.

Your decline in results can be down to many reasons.

- Your tactic approach works less good against teams playing more cautious against you, something they will do once you have established in the top of the table

- The Players are getting more and more exhausted due to not rotating the squad enough

- The players are starting to get complacent

- Your style of play struggles on poor pitches ( depends on the weather, climate)

Last edited:
This is quite known in FM (not only 13, but its more in 13). The AI of the opposition knows how you play when you play always the same tactic. Just like in RL if you alway play the same tactic the opposition will adapt it and counter your weaknesses. Rotate tactics once in a while and it will be fine.

This is quite known in FM (not only 13, but its more in 13). The AI of the opposition knows how you play when you play always the same tactic. Just like in RL if you alway play the same tactic the opposition will adapt it and counter your weaknesses. Rotate tactics once in a while and it will be fine.

No, the opponents dont know how you play after 28 matches and learn and adapt to that. They adapt to the following

Your actuall or perceived strengths ( OIs against key players)
They try to exploit your weaknesses ( like playing down the flanks if you dont have fullbacks, playing a 352)
React and adapt, either more cautious or adventoures depending on how bug a threat you are seen as.

If you start out with a flat 442 and play like that for 20 matches and then change to a 352, then the opponent will probably shout "exploit the flanks" within 15 minutes of the game, not after another 10 matches

Interesting reading - I was under the same impression as Benniewijs, but if things are more like you mention TheBetterHalf, then there is clearly a greater need for in-game tactical tweaks - this also makes the game much more interesting (and realistic)

No, the opponents dont know how you play after 28 matches and learn and adapt to that. They adapt to the following

Your actuall or perceived strengths ( OIs against key players)
They try to exploit your weaknesses ( like playing down the flanks if you dont have fullbacks, playing a 352)
React and adapt, either more cautious or adventoures depending on how bug a threat you are seen as.

If you start out with a flat 442 and play like that for 20 matches and then change to a 352, then the opponent will probably shout "exploit the flanks" within 15 minutes of the game, not after another 10 matches

I have the same exact problem but it happened to me earlier around early December, you would think the first 10 to 15 games would the worst as the players get used to a new tactic and new player gell, but a second profile and i am having the same issue.

i am playing 3-5-2 as Palermo and i have beaten Inter and Roma away and other mid table teams early in the season and now i am dropping a lot of points to mid and lower table teams. the players are rested well, and morale is high..

what could it be? have they worked out a weakness in my tactic on the flanks maybe? if they were playing more caution you would be able tell surely? i have a decline in performance i don't seem to be in control of games like before, can hardly create good chances now almost all opponents seem to play better attacking football and get majority of the highlights...

I have the same exact problem but it happened to me earlier around early December, you would think the first 10 to 15 games would the worst as the players get used to a new tactic and new player gell, but a second profile and i am having the same issue.

i am playing 3-5-2 as Palermo and i have beaten Inter and Roma away and other mid table teams early in the season and now i am dropping a lot of points to mid and lower table teams. the players are rested well, and morale is high..

what could it be? have they worked out a weakness in my tactic on the flanks maybe? if they were playing more caution you would be able tell surely? i have a decline in performance i don't seem to be in control of games like before, can hardly create good chances now almost all opponents seem to play better attacking football and get majority of the highlights...

Look at a game where you struggled and watch the full game.

Does that opponent seem to sit deeper and with more people behind the ball. If so, would you say that your approach is one that should in theory be doing good against teams playing this way ?

How were the opponents playing initially, did they push up their team and expose themselfes for quick counter attacks. If so, did you often manage to hit them on the break ? If so, would you say that the space is still there to exploit or do yuou know need to create it ?

Are they now overloading the flanks against you and how do you react to it ?

Have you rotated the squad enough ? If the players take more time to recover after the game, then you have an issue

How does your playuers react to going one goal down ? Do they get anxious or determined to get back into the game ?

I've noticed if you secure a promotion or title with games still remaining that performances of the players does drop in those meaningless games but that's quite realistic i think.

Look at a game where you struggled and watch the full game.

Does that opponent seem to sit deeper and with more people behind the ball. If so, would you say that your approach is one that should in theory be doing good against teams playing this way ?

How were the opponents playing initially, did they push up their team and expose themselfes for quick counter attacks. If so, did you often manage to hit them on the break ? If so, would you say that the space is still there to exploit or do yuou know need to create it ?

Are they now overloading the flanks against you and how do you react to it ?

Have you rotated the squad enough ? If the players take more time to recover after the game, then you have an issue

How does your playuers react to going one goal down ? Do they get anxious or determined to get back into the game ?
cheers bud, i will look into it like you suggested. would it have anything to do with me setting up myself as a Sunday league footballer even thought my morale is 'very good'.

cheers bud, i will look into it like you suggested. would it have anything to do with me setting up myself as a Sunday league footballer even thought my morale is 'very good'.

That would likely make things harder when trying to both boost confidence and tell players off. They simply dont listen enough to what you say.

Sorry guys, been in Uni (almost a fully qualified games programmer =D).

I think it is the AI adapting like the TBH has said, by all means the AI wont "learn" to stop your tactic just do the same things like we would e.g. OIs

I seem to concede nearly all my goals from crosses (which infuriates me something wicked seeing as though the fullback just stops running near the byline). Anyone think that subtle tactic changes could be used e.g. changing width from narrow to wide or tempo etc?

That would likely make things harder when trying to both boost confidence and tell players off. They simply dont listen enough to what you say.

I know I do have a problem with motivating players team talks are harder.. I have also noticed in this version, you can tell one player off for bad performance at half time or full time and it motivates or angers another player, however you get no reaction from the player you were addressing... is this just FM13 trying be more realistic?

Sorry guys, been in Uni (almost a fully qualified games programmer =D).

I think it is the AI adapting like the TBH has said, by all means the AI wont "learn" to stop your tactic just do the same things like we would e.g. OIs

I seem to concede nearly all my goals from crosses (which infuriates me something wicked seeing as though the fullback just stops running near the byline). Anyone think that subtle tactic changes could be used e.g. changing width from narrow to wide or tempo etc?

Well, like written before, if the declne in results are tactic related, then one should moitor the game closely and then react. Just changing tactic wont be good enough though. One needs to take a new approach that is actially one that suits these new circumstances.

If having played direct balls into chanells to exploit the fact that the opponenets pushed up, this will fail once they sit with men behind the ball. Now, you have to create space, not exploit the already open space and this is the hard part for overachieving teams when facing teams actually being better in defending than we are in attack.

I know I do have a problem with motivating players team talks are harder.. I have also noticed in this version, you can tell one player off for bad performance at half time or full time and it motivates or angers another player, however you get no reaction from the player you were addressing... is this just FM13 trying be more realistic?

Best team talk I find is, when your favourites at home tell them "I expect to win" anything else leave to your AM, then for individual ones put passionately "you have faith". Always shows up green for most players

Well, like written before, if the declne in results are tactic related, then one should moitor the game closely and then react. Just changing tactic wont be good enough though. One needs to take a new approach that is actially one that suits these new circumstances.

If having played direct balls into chanells to exploit the fact that the opponenets pushed up, this will fail once they sit with men behind the ball. Now, you have to create space, not exploit the already open space and this is the hard part for overachieving teams when facing teams actually being better in defending than we are in attack.

Hmmm Ill probably create a new tactic thats different style of play to use, thanks for you help its much appreciated.

Hmmm Ill probably create a new tactic thats different style of play to use, thanks for you help its much appreciated.

If you are using the TC ( without too many tweaked settings, then you just need to chnage the shouts and strategy

If you are using the TC ( without too many tweaked settings, then you just need to chnage the shouts and strategy

Is changing strategy enough yeah? and I dont really know much about shouts any youd reccomend?

Back