lostmysnorkel

Reaction score
Having been given FM13 for Xmas, I am trying to get my head around the differences between it and FM12.

I am playing lower league (Blue Square North) with FC Halifax, and am 12 games into 1st season.

My four best players are GK, ST , RM/AMR and LM/AML as I always like to play with width where possible.

Initially I was playing 4-4-2, and tweaking the roles and duties as required (as I did in FM12), but realise that the new game requires a bit more tactical approach as the game seems to work out how best to shut you down when you become predictable.

I have introduced a 4-5-1 (the one with wingers, a DM and two CMs - not the flat five across the middle) and have had a few wins with that tactic.

Both the formations are reasonably flexible and can be tweaked to play an attacking or a counter attacking style.

SO, my questions:

How many different formations would you expect to use throughout a season without your players getting confused?

Would you change formation during a match, and if so, does it help?

I would like to be able to have two or three formations set up, one the 'standard 442', one Counter attack, and one good solid formation to use when my winger(s) are injured or unavailable so a little less width but still pacey if possible.

How do you all set your tactics/formations up at the season start and how often and why would you tinker with them, pre-match or during match?