Tactics stop working the more familiar they get

TJMitchell

Reaction score
This seems to keep happening to me this year, and happened last year a few times too. My tactics (whichever they were, my own or from here) always seemed to work better when they were less familiar. 2 recent examples...

View attachment 76013 View attachment 76012

The 2nd pic is only 3 games i know but i can see it in the match stats etc its going the same way as the first pic.

Anyone else having this happen?

This seems to keep happening to me this year, and happened last year a few times too. My tactics (whichever they were, my own or from here) always seemed to work better when they were less familiar. 2 recent examples...

View attachment 1136198 View attachment 1136199

The 2nd pic is only 3 games i know but i can see it in the match stats etc its going the same way as the first pic.

Anyone else having this happen?
All you're showing there is that it hasn't worked from the start in the first example and that it is consistent in the 2nd.

All you're showing there is that it hasn't worked from the start in the first example and that it is consistent in the 2nd.

Hasn't worked from the start? I won 6 games in a row at the start when building familiarity and then 6 draws and a loss when familiar.

The 2nd pic maybe i took it a bit early but i could see what was happening and i ended up losing or drawing the next 5 games, again once the tactic was familiar. Won 6 of the first 8 i used the tactic when not familiar.

Hasn't worked from the start? I won 6 games in a row at the start when building familiarity and then 6 draws and a loss when familiar.
No, you didn't. You won 1. Friendly matches don't count.

Here's the 2nd pic extended. First game at the top is the first game using new tactic. You can see it actively getting worse the more games i played and the more familiar the team got.

View attachment 76006

What are you talking about?
I mentioned the first example specifically - YOU WON 1 MATCH. Winning a friendly means nothing. The AI isn't taking winning it seriously as it's supposed to be getting familiar with a tactic and building up match fitness.

So taking that into account, you won the first competitive match and then not again - so either your tactic didn't "work" from the start or your in-match management is poor.

Here's the 2nd pic extended. First game at the top is the first game using new tactic. You can see it actively getting worse the more games i played and the more familiar the team got.View attachment 1136207
This has nothing to do with familiarity but rather with the teams lining up more defensively after half a season if you're doing well. Your tactic doesn't seem to be handling the more defensive setups very well.

This has nothing to do with familiarity but rather with the teams lining up more defensively after half a season if you're doing well. Your tactic doesn't seem to be handling the more defensive setups very well.

im having the same ****** problem. won Everything the first 15 games, after that it all turned to ****! nothing works.
any soulution to this?

im having the same ****** problem. won Everything the first 15 games, after that it all turned to ****! nothing works.
any soulution to this?
Might be exactly what I said - teams being more defensive, so make sure the tactic can cope against packed defences. Movement to pull players out of position and proper space management (things like DO NOT compress play into the final third and only the width of the penalty box) is key.

Might be exactly what I said - teams being more defensive, so make sure the tactic can cope against packed defences. Movement to pull players out of position and proper space management (things like DO NOT compress play into the final third and only the width of the penalty box) is key.

i know that u have some **** games during a season pass FM games, but this years fm the tactic just drops like World trade center after 15 games into the season.

Can like removing the player instructions or changing their roles work? i mean i dont wanna change to much. Thats not realistic.

i know that u have some **** games during a season pass FM games, but this years fm the tactic just drops like World trade center after 15 games into the season.

It's a clear adjustment against a dominant team. It's easy to spot yourself. It doesn't always happen and to everyone either. It depends on the tactic. I've used the same one (my own) for almost 4 seasons now, without needing to adjust at all.

Can like removing the player instructions or changing their roles work? i mean i dont wanna change to much. Thats not realistic.
It can, but again, it depends on the tactic.