Taking Norway to the Top

Sportsviking

Reaction score
A little background: I live in the US, but my dad is from Norway and I still have relatives that live in the country so I have always maintained an interest in Norwegian football and I've always enjoyed playing the Norwegian leagues on Football Manager. I have decided to take a Norwegian club and attempt to make them into a top side in the world as well as building the Norwegian National Team into a contender. Hope you all enjoy!

Game Specifics

Leagues Loaded:Denmark (all levels) Finland (all levels) Norway (all levels) Sweden (all levels) USA (all levels). Large database w/ all players of Norwegian and American Nationality and all players from top clubs in England.

*no FMRTE or cheating, no custom database

Team: Follo FK (Norwegian Second Division Group 2)

New Manager Anders Aarhus is Ready for the Big Time

Ski Stadion – Anders Aarhus isn’t worried about the fact that he never played organized football.
“It’s something I’ve dealing with my entire managerial career, I’m used to it by now and I have no problem telling people about my lack of playing experience.”

When he’s announced as the new manager of Follo FK next Monday, it will be the culmination of a journey that is only just beginning, but has already encompassed more than most people can hope to experience in a lifetime.
Aarhus’ story is nothing short of remarkable. Born in Washington State in the United States of America, Aarhus grew up a fan of baseball, basketball and American football – the country’s top sports – and didn’t develop a love for football until later in his life.

“I really got into football during the 2002 World Cup watching the USA make it all the way to the quarterfinals. In the space of six months I went from Manchester United and Liverpool being the only clubs I could name to knowing everything there is to know about leagues around the world.”

Less than a year later Aarhus was volunteering as a local youth coach and his career took off from there. He eventually worked his way up to an assistant coach position at the University of Washington, the state’s leading college. In 2007, after a series of disappointing performances, the head coach was fired and Aarhus was instituted as acting head coach. He turned the team around, taking them to a PAC-12 Championship and an appearance in the NCAA tournament, the country’s top collegiate competition. He did enough to impress his bosses and earned a permanent contract.

Within three years he had built the program into a national contender and developed a reputation as a master tactician and motivator. In 2010 the team lifted the College Cup and were recognized as national champions after winning the NCAA tournament.

After the season Aarhus considered signing an extension with the University of Washington, but instead decided to try his hand in professional management. He applied for several jobs, but Follo were the only team to show interest. Two weeks after Follo called, Aarhus moved with his girlfriend to Norway and rented an apartment 5 minutes from Ski stadion.

“It was a new challenge, a way for me to further my coaching career and to do it in Norway is extra special. When I first decided to take the job, people asked me why Norway? But if you know me and you know about Norwegian football, it makes perfect sense.”

Born to an American mother and a Norwegian father, Aarhus is an American citizen, but held dual citizenship of both the US and Norway until he was 16. His father’s side of the family still lives in the country and Aarhus has maintained a good relationship with his Norwegian relatives throughout his life.

“I used to go to Norway every summer with my dad to visit all my relatives so I know my family very well. I’ve been here 18 times and speak the language fluently so it really wasn’t a culture shock to come over here, it felt more like a second home,” said Aarhus.

But that wasn’t the only factor that convinced him to take a leap of faith.

“I think the Norwegian league is quality, very underrated and if you look at the track records of Americans that have come over here to play in Sweden, Denmark and Norway, they’ve had great success. I don’t see why that success can’t translate to the management side of the game.”

Despite his good spirits, Aarhus is realistic about the task at hand. He takes over a Follo squad that just missed out on promotion last year, meaning there’s increased pressure to gain promotion to the Adeccoligaen.
“I think it’s a good challenge and one I’m looking forward too. We have a wealth of young talent at the club and return much of the squad that almost won promotion last year. Obviously it won’t be easy, but I definitely think we can achieve promotion and I’ve told the board as much. If we can get promoted, I think we have the quality to stay in the Adeccoligaen.”

As if he wasn’t already under enough pressure, Aarhus takes over for club legend Hans Erik Eriksen, but the new boss isn’t daunted.

“Eriksen was great for this club and got them promoted to the second division and nearly won them promotion last year. His leaving for a bigger job makes sense and I wish him the best in his future career. As far as how I think I should be judged, it’s not for me to decide and all I ask is that the board place their trust in me, which they have, and that the fans stand behind the players and the club.”

Aarhus faces a busy preseason ahead as he looks to install new tactics and new training regimens while also looking for signings to strengthen the squad. Already though, a plan is beginning to emerge.

“Football is about entertainment and that’s what I promise Follo fans. We have good attacking pieces in place and the club will look to add some depth in the midfield. I feel confident and I’m ready to get down to work and the season ahead.”

Last edited:
Cleaning House

New Follo Manager revamps backroom staff

Ski Stadion – That didn’t take long. Newly appointed Follo FK manager Anders Aarhus has quickly made his mark on the club, as no fewer than four members of the backroom team were let go through mutual termination of their contracts.

Scouts Vegard Skagseth and Pal Eilertsen, Assistant Manager Magnus Stromme and Physio Fredrik Stromberg were all let go to make way for Aarhus to bring in his own backroom team.
“I want to thank those staff member that were let go for their service to the club and for going without a fuss. It’s never easy to put people out of a job, but I felt that the new backroom team I have assembled is best suited to take the club forward.”

In addition to replacing all the positions vacated by those let go, the club has signed two new first team coaches which leaves the current staff looking like this:

Assistant Manager – Bjorn Ludvigsen*
Coach – Vidar Rosstad
Coach – Geir Frigard
Goalkeeping Coach – Kristoffer Kolsrud
Youth Coach – Anders Saervold
Youth Coach – Hugo Carlos Pereira
Youth Coach – Christian Gjertveit
Youth Coach – Aksel Bergo
Physio – Espen Hagh
Scout – Oystein Sandmark
Scout – Tore Rismo

Ludvigsen was signed from Harstad while the rest of the staff was brought in on free transfers.

Old backroom staff
View attachment 239306

New Backroom staff
View attachment 239307

Follo Announce Link With Aalesund

Color Line Stadion – Follo FK have issued a statement announcing a link with Tippeligaen side Aalesunds FK. The clubs issued a joint statement that read, “We are pleased to announce a new relationship between Follo and Aalesund. We believe this link will prove beneficial for both teams and we look forward to a bright future in Norwegian football.”

Looking at the specifics of the deal, Aalesund will act as the parent club with the ability to send players on loan to Follo. Wages will be paid in full by the Premier League side. In addition Follo will host an annual friendly between the two clubs and will keep all gate receipts from the fixture.

This seems to be an excellent deal for Follo as the team are currently strapped for cash and have a wage budget that is believed to be near board limits. Free players will certainly bolster a squad that lacks depth in certain areas and the money earned from the annual agreement fee (believed to be $59.85K) and gate receipts generated from the friendly match will allow for an increased transfer and wage budget.

Follo manager Anders Aarhus revealed that he helped engineer the move and is very pleased with the outcome.

“I asked the board last week if it were possible to look into a parent club option. Finances aren’t in bad shape, but things are a bit tight and having a parent club provides options for free players while generating money at the same time.”

Sources close to the situation have confirmed that there was a decision made between several clubs, including Tippeligaen giant Rosenborg BK, but in the end Aarhus said it was an easy choice.

“I’ve always admired Aalesunds FK ever since I started following football. They’re a class organization and have a track record of producing excellent players like the Riise brothers. When I learned that we had a chance to partner with them, I knew the search was over.”

Follo look poised to capitalize on the agreement already as 18-year-old midfielder Magnus Solevag has been offered the chance to go on loan to the division 2 club.

“Magnus is a superb young talent and I hope he decides to continue his development with our club,” said Aarhus.

View attachment 239314View attachment 239315Magnus Solevag

View attachment 239316View attachment 239317

Solevag Joins Follo On Loan

Ski Stadion – Follo is already reaping the benefits of their recent affiliation with Aalesund. Aalesund winger Magnus Solevag has joined Follo FK on loan for the regular season. The move comes as no surprise as Aalesund had made it very clear they were looking to get Solevag first team football by sending him to another club.

This is the first of what Follo FK manager Anders Aarhus hopes is a long line of loan agreements between the two clubs.

“I’m delighted to have Magnus joining us on loan. He’s a fantastic young player and I think he can be a difference maker immediately at this level. This is exactly the kind of deal I envisioned when we first agreed to a parent club deal with Aalesund.”

Under the agreement with Aalesund, Follo has no obligation to play players on loan from the parent club and so far in the preseason Fitim Azemi has played at right wing, Solevag’s best position. But Aarhus says the Aalesund man will get a chance to prove himself.

“The way I run the club, nothing is guaranteed. They players know they have to earn everything. No one is going to come in and take over a starting sport based on reputation alone. That being said, we have three preseason fixtures remaining and although I have an idea of what our starting XI will look like, there is still ample time for someone to make an impression and force their way into the lineup.”

Solevag already has one advocate though. Follo striker Patrik Bordon has told the media he thinks the loan is an excellent move for the young winger.

"He wasn't in the first team plans at Aalesund this year so to go somewhere that you can play real competitive games will do wonders for his confidence and fitness. The experience from playing first-team football, no matter what team it's for, is something that is impossible to replicate and his career will be better because of it," said Bordon.

At just 18 years of age, Solevag is already considered one of the brightest prospects in the country and a call-up to the Norway U19 squad could be in the cards if youngster can impress during his loan spell.

View attachment 239339

View attachment 239340

Young Talent Comes Through in Upset

Domnarvsvallen Stadium – 15 year-old striker Marcus Rygh Bo scored a brace, Andreas Steinbakk-Olsen and Magnus Solevag provided assists and Follo FK pulled off an upset of Swedish First Division Elite side IK Brage to continue a strong run of form in the preseason.

Rygh Bo, included in the matchday squad for the first time in his career, came on as a substitute in the 66th​ minute and rewarded his manager’s confidence by scoring a brace.

“It was a tremendous effort and a huge boost to his confidence. Despite his age, he’s a top prospect in our youth setup and we wanted to give him some experience with the first team. The plan was to get him some time and hopefully have him settle in and find his rhythm, but obviously this went better than anyone could have hoped for,” said Follo boss Anders Aarhus.

The game was tied 0-0 when Rygh Bo entered for Patrik Bordon in the 66th​ minute, but just four minutes later the blue and white shirts had the lead. Rygh Bo received the ball in the middle and played it out wide to Solevag. The winger beat his man into the box and then sent a low cross back to the middle for Rygh Bo to slam home making it 1-0.

Rygh Bo’s second goal came 10 minutes later and effectively sealed the win. Solevag’s cross skipped through the 18 yard box without finding anyone, but Steinbakke-Olsen was waiting on the left wing and whipped the ball back in. Brage keeper Gerhard Andersson managed to beat the ball away, but the rebound fell right to Rygh Bo who made no mistake with his finish.

“It was unbelievable,” said Rygh Bo of his performance. “I just went out and tried to make the right runs and get into the right positions. The first goal I managed to lose my mark and I just tried to stay calm and composed and focused. The second was a bit of luck as the ‘keeper misplayed the cross and I happened to be there to tuck it home.”

Rygh Bo wasn’t expected to feature for the first team this year, but if he can put in a strong showing for the rest of the preseason he could find himself being included in the 18.

“The goals are what everyone will see, but he also did all the little things: passing, hold up play, making smart runs. That's you want to see out of a young player. He’s definitely caught our eye,” said the manager.

Meanwhile, Magnus Solevag made his first appearance since joining the club on loan and delivered an excellent performance after coming on as a sub.

“It was very encouraging and it’s nice to see how well he fits in with our squad,” said Aarhus. “He definitely has a role to play this year and we’re very happy to have him.”

Follo will continue their preparation for the season when they take on Husqvarna FF in 10 days.

View attachment 239388

Steven Fellows Joins Club on Loan

Ski Stadion – More good news for Follo today as Steven Fellows has agreed to join the club on loan from Aalesund.

This is the second signing Follo has managed to secure as a result of their agreement with the Norwegian Premier Division side as Fellows will join teammate Magnus Solevag.

While Solevag is considered a top prospect, Fellows has even higher expectations and will provide Follo with depth in a midfield that desperately needs it.

“Steven is a terrific player and a I feel much more confident knowing he’s on our roster,” said Manager Anders Aarhus.

View attachment 239390
Fellows Screenies

View attachment 239394View attachment 239396

Another EU National

A bit of news today for Follo Fk as veteran Paulo dos Santos is now a Norwegian citizen. The move is a positive for Follo because the citizenship means that dos Santos is also now an EU national and will not count against the squad in the Norwegian Cup.

View attachment 239409

Follo FK Name Anders Lubeck Captain

Follo FK have named defender Anders Lubeck Captain for the 2011 season. Although only 19, the right back is considered to be the club's best player and manager Anders Aarhus believes he's ready to take a leadership role.

"Anders carries himself with confidence and displays a level of professionalism that belies his young age. His play on the pitch speaks for itself and gives him the ability to lead by example as well as in the dressing room."

Lubeck is nothing short of ecstatic at his appointment.

"It's such an honor to be named captain. I promise that my manager's faith in me will be rewarded and I will lead this squad to the best of my abilities," said Lubeck.

Center back Halvor Stormoen Raddum was named vice captain.

View attachment 239411

End of Transfer Period

View attachment 239413

A look at the comings and goings at the club during the preseason transfer period

View attachment 239412
  • Kristian Strandhagen was brought in to be the main playmaker, and will split time with loanee Steven Fellows
  • Jonny Hansen will play as a midfielder in a ball-winning role, allowing Strandhagen to go forward
  • Mads Nielsen was signed to address the inexperience in goal. He's young (22) but at 6'6" he has the size and the talent to be an elite goalkeeper
  • Paulo dos Santos is a veteran presence who can play both wing positions. I expect one or two years out of him before he hopefully becomes a club scout
  • Magnus Solevag's loan has already been well documented. Follo is extremely excited about what he can bring to the club
  • Vegard Fiske was signed to provide depth at the defensive midfield position (where the club is most thin)
All the players sold or let go were done to keep the wage budget under control.

Raddum Injury

Starting center back and vice-captain Halvor Stormoen Raddum suffered a twisted ankle and will miss the start of the season. This is a blow to the club, although there's depth at center back, no one comes close in quality to Raddum. Hopefully the club can get off to a strong start despite the absence of a key player.

View attachment 239414

Note:

Although the article format is fun, it's a little too time consuming for the amount of updates I want to do so I'll be switching over to a more basic style.

Preseason Recap

View attachment 239433

Overall, a good preseason for the club. After a disappointing draw that can probably be attributed to learning a new formation, we went on a good run of form that ended with a loss in a game we certainly should have won. I feel confident in the ability of the team and Magnus Solevag certainly looks like he's worth the hype.

Showdown Looming

First off, our best performance of the season:
View attachment 239434

Always nice to beat the parent club, even if it is just the reserve team. We absolutely dominated in a road game, which is a positive sign. Our 4-3-3 counter attack seems to be working.

Now for the showdown...

View attachment 239435

Both Follo and Frigg sit tied atop the table on 12 points with a head to head matchup looming. We tied Frigg 1-1 in our first game of the preseason, but we're a much better team now and the game will be played at our stadium, which should give us enough for the win.

If it there wasn't already enough incentive to win the game, Frigg manager Hakon Grottland had some bold words for the media...
View attachment 239436

Makes me really hope we win the game!

The Game

View attachment 239437

An absolutely dominating performance. I am thrilled with how well we played. Markus Elvenes has been banging in goals after he was forced into action by an injury to my normal starter Patrik Bordon. He may have earned a permanent place in the starting XI even when Bordon is fully fit.

The win leaves us at the top of the table on 15 points after an excellent start to the season

View attachment 239438

Back