Reaction score
Ok so i recently posted a topic about not being able to win away and how i have had trouble with tactics on this forum not working for me and was advised to try and learn more about what each instruction does and try and create a tactic for myself.

so i would like some advice on what i have done i can not do screen shots so i can going to try as hard as i can to describe it and if anyone has any advice it would be welcome. just please remember i do not understand a lot and might need explanations. i might have to copy and paste some of what i wrote in a follow up reply because it wont let me post the whole thing

Formation (4-4-2)

GK- Defend
Fb- Defend
Cd-Defend
Cd- Defend
Fb- Defend

Winger(L) - Attack
Dlp - Support
Cm - Defend
Wp - Attack

Af - Attack
Dlf - Support

Team Instructions

Control - flexible
Tempo - Lower
Width - Balanced

Defense line - Normal
Close down - Sometimes

Play out of defense
Retain possession
Passing - Shorter
Be more disciplined

Work ball into box
Whipped Crosses

Player instructions

Fb's (Shoot less often, Dribble less, Close down less)
Cd's (Close down much less)
From what i gather this keeps the defense as tight shaped as possible i think?

W - Attack (Shoot more often, Close down more) and depending on the players passing attributes more direct passes
Dlp - Support (Dribble more, Close down more, More direct passes)
Cm - Defend (Shoot less often, Dribble less, Close down less)
Wp - Attack (More direct passes)

Af - Attack (Shoot more often, More direct passes, More risky passes, close down much less)
Dlf - Support (Shoot more often, More direct passes, Dribble less, Close down more)

Since adopting this formation my results are as follows:

H 4-2 Won
A 2-1 Won
A 1-0 Won
H 1-0 Won
H 2-0 Won
A 1-0 Won
H 1-0 Won
H 3-0 Won
A 0-0 Draw
A 2-2 Draw
A 2-1 Won
A 2-0 Won
H 2-0 Won
A 0-2 Loss
A 0-0 Draw
H 2-2 Draw

If anyone has any advice with this and what i have done please explain clearly because as i said i am not too sure when it comes to the tactic side of the game. it has improved away though

From what i gather this keeps the defense as tight shaped as possible i think?
It helps them keep shape more, yes. You'll just need to watch the gaps in front of them, because I see you've instructed 2 of the 4 midfielders to close down a lot more than the rest.

---------

Now you've given a fair bit of detail, but not what the actual issues are or what you need advice on? You're getting good results, so what's the issue?

My issue is the 1-0's against lower weaker teams. the thing i wanted to do was get better away results cause i was losing away 90-95% of the time. and now it has kind of got better i am now having the issue of low scoring games against weaker teams at the bottom of the league. i mean i do not want 10-0 victory's in every game i just see to many 1-2 goals scored only

Well, you have 6 players on Defend duties, so they'll all stay back. It isn't the most aggressive of setups then.

Another issue may be the quality of shots taken; why have you instructed "Shoot More Often" for your 3 most attacking players?

The reason i had "shoot more often" for 3 of my attacking players is the fact they had very high attributes for shooting more often (which a online guide i was reading) said you needed long shots, finishing , technique

Now thinking about it having 3 of my attacking players shooting more often would be a reason i am not having many shots being goals and instead of target. i just looked at 2 of my 1-0 victorys and these are the stats...

game 1
shots - 29
on target - 9
off target - 10
possession - 57%

game 2
shots - 24
on target - 11
off target - 8
possession - 59%

as for what you said about 6 players on defend what would you do with the set up? there is actually 5 on defend the 4 defenders and the cm (d) would you change the cm (d) to a cm (s)? because i have the 2 wide players on attack and the af i would the cm (d) would help the defense out..

also while i am asking you said about 2 of my 4 mids closing down more would you only choose 1? or 0?

The reason i had "shoot more often" for 3 of my attacking players is the fact they had very high attributes for shooting more often (which a online guide i was reading) said you needed long shots, finishing , technique

Now thinking about it having 3 of my attacking players shooting more often would be a reason i am not having many shots being goals and instead of target. i just looked at 2 of my 1-0 victorys and these are the stats...

game 1
shots - 29
on target - 9
off target - 10
possession - 57%

game 2
shots - 24
on target - 11
off target - 8
possession - 59%

as for what you said about 6 players on defend what would you do with the set up? there is actually 5 on defend the 4 defenders and the cm (d) would you change the cm (d) to a cm (s)? because i have the 2 wide players on attack and the af i would the cm (d) would help the defense out..

also while i am asking you said about 2 of my 4 mids closing down more would you only choose 1? or 0?
I wouldn't blindly follow that guide. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but shooting often (with an attacking mentality too) will see the shot quality not being that good against teams who park the bus. Anyway, if you apply the instruction, rather do it for someone who is a bit 'special' rather than everyone with attributes over a certain number.

I counted the GK too. At the very least, the fullbacks can be on support so you at least have more passing options.

I didn't say the closing down was a problem. I said to look as it could be an issue.