The 'Big Three' Challenge (FM 2011, FM 2012, etc.)

*Paul*

Reaction score
The 'Big Three' Challenge
(FM 2011, FM 2012, etc.)

Introduction

The challenge I have come up with is probably what you have already thought of or even done. It's simple and requires no editing nor patches (so absolutely everyone can participate!). It's not simple, but it is achievable (which is what matters, really, in a challenge) and I believe it can be fun and enjoyable, too, if you take it seriously.

As you all may know, the Liga BBVA (La Liga) and the SPL (Scottish Premier League) trophies are both fiercely competed for mainly by 2 teams, in La Liga it's Barcelona and Real Madrid; in the SPL it's Rangers and Celtic. The teams are fierce rivals, and it's basically a two horse race every season.

So here is the challenge. You must win the league in you first season with a team outside the 'Big Two' in Spain or Scotland. It's that simple. You get points for things like winning the league, going unbeaten, scoring the most goals, conceding the least and having the 'Golden Boot' winner in your team.

Rules

Remember, there are no exceptions to the rules. I cannot check and be 100% sure you're not cheating, so there will be a certain amount of trust. After all, if you cheat, where's the sense of achievement? You're just cheating yourself. (*Recommendation, but optional.)

1) You must use the default patch (11.0).

2) You must load the following countries/leagues:
England - nPower Championship
Italy - Serie B
Scotland - First Division
Spain - Liga Adelante

Database - Large*

3) You can choose you manager name, birthday, reputation and nationality.

4) You can make player/staff chances at will. However, if you make a profit you will get extra points (as stated below).

5) You may only choose from the following teams in Spain:
Valencia
Sevilla
Atletico Madrid
Athletic
Malaga
Villareal

6) You may only choose from the following teams in Scotland:
Aberdeen
Dundee United
Hearts
Hibernian
Motherwell

7) When you start, you must post a screenshot of your Squad (with no signings/promoted youngsters), Start of Season Expectations (after submitting them) and your Manager Profile (the 'Profile', 'Personal' and 'History' tabs).

8) When you finish the season, you must post a screenshot of your Squad, the League, the Cups you're in (the stage you got knocked out and if you won, post the final), the League's Top Scorers and Most Assists, Transfers and anything else you think is interesting.

Scoring Systems:

1) You get the following extra points if you start off with:Valencia - 2 points
Sevilla - 4 points
Atletico Madrid - 0 points
Athletic - 10 points
Malaga - 8 points
Villareal - 6 points

Aberdeen - 8 points
Dundee United - 0 points
Hearts - 2 points
Hibernian - 4 points
Motherwell - 6 points

2) Trophy scoring:
Domestic League: [1st place] 50 points, [2nd place] 25 points and [3rd place or below] 5 points.

Domestic Cup: [Winner] 20 points, [Runner-Up] 10 points and [Quarter/Semi Finalist] 5 points (If you win/come second, you don't get extra points for reaching the Quarter/Semi Final).

UEFA Cup/Europa League: [Winner] 20 points, [Runner-Up] 10 points, [Group Stage/Knockout Stages] 5 points (If you win/come second, you don't get extra points for reaching the Group Stage/Knockout Stages. Also, if your club has automatically qualified for the Group Stage, then you don't get 5 points unless you get them into the Knockout Stages).

UEFA Champions League: [Winner] 50 points, [2nd place] 25 points and [Group Stage/Knockout Stages] 10 points (If you win/come second, you don't get extra points for reaching the Group Stage/Knockout Stages.
Also, if your club has automatically qualified for the Group Stage, then you don't get 5 points unless you get them into the Knockout Stages).

Having the Golden Boot/Most Assists winner in your team: [Winner] 5 points, [2nd place] 2 points and [If a player has more than 5 Goals/Assists]

Good luck, and I hope you can do well on this challenge. The target is to finish in the Top 2 and I would advise you all to carefully read the OP before doing the challenge. If you have any queries, comments or things you think I can improve, please PM me or post on this thread.

Thanks,
*Paul*

Last edited:
This looks like a great challenge! I might try it with villareal, they have a great strikeforce.

If you are going to start, then please submit the screenshots as stated in the OP, read the rules and I will add you to a list in the OP. By the way, please PM me the screenshots!

This challenge will be updated for later FMs so I may change the scoring system (feel free to suggest improvements), edit the teams you can be and maybe even edit the countries.

In fact, I am considering closing the thread and re-opening it when the new Football Manager 2012 comes out (date only stated as 'before Christmas') because there is hardly any time for people to play it on FM 2011 if they are busy or play quite slowly (I do myself!).

What do you think? Suggestions are welcome, as always.

Remember to read the OP carefully and to PM me the starting screenshots so the thread doesn't get clogged up. Feel free to post updates, suggestions and discuss the challenge on the thread too.

Currently working on a logo for this challenge to give it an unique and classy feel. I'm not sure what the logo should look like, though.

Anyone have any ideas for what the logo should include and maybe someone would be kind enough to help me make it? Although I could probably make it, I'm not the best at graphics.

It must not be to similar to an existing logo and cannot include any bad language, racism, etc.

Last edited:
Will be trying it out. Screenies will be up in a while.

Why upload italy/english leagues? Sounds like good chalange but i wont be able to post screenshots (no internet)

Please post screenshots if you are going to start. Remember, press Alt + F9 to take a screenshot - search for a 'How To Take a Screenshot in FM' thread on FM-Base.

I am considering whether or not to add a FM2012 Big Three Challenge, it all depends on the numbers. So please, recommend this challenge, participate and I may add another one.

This looks like a great challenge! I might try it with villareal, they have a great strikeforce.

Great Challenge Might Try It With Hearts

Will be trying it out. Screenies will be up in a while.

i will try with Athletic

Why upload italy/english leagues? Sounds like good chalange but i wont be able to post screenshots (no internet)
The simple reason is that the English/Italian leagues don't have a 'Big Three' and the teams are much closer and it is (stereotypically) easier to finish third or above. But thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers for all the comments, guys. I am considering an FM 2012 Big Three Challenge, so stay tuned for updates. Good luck in your challenges, and don't forget to post your starting screenshots!