The Cypriot dream

• Thread starter Thread starter DiddyP777
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 865

DiddyP777

Reaction score
I’m going to start this story with a background of how my character got into management, and then I’ll get into the main bulk of the story from when I’m a manager. If you don’t like it, then don’t read it, I’m only doing this for fun. I would appreciate any comments for improvements :D

“YEESS!!”
This was the cry leaving the mouths of everyone who holds Ayia Napa dear to their hearts. We had just won promotion to the second division in Cyprus, taking the last promotion spot.
The last 2 seasons had been tough for the south-eastern team I owe my career to. Relegation to the Cypriot Lower Division in 2009/10 had shocked the country, as we had been in the top division just a few years before, beating Omonoia Nicosia, one of the most successful teams in the country, 2-1.
But we had bounced straight back up, the gaffer had said this was his last year, and had hired me this season as his assistant. I had helped tactically of course, imposing myself as a leader even though I was younger than most of the experienced players, 4 years ago, in 2007 I had been playing against this team, in that 2-1 loss for Omonoia. I look back on that day, as the worst in my life…

Last edited:
The score was 2-0 to Ayia Napa, they were being completely dominated, but they had scored two on the counter attack. I was yet to come on, a 20 year old wonder kid I was being described as, having being drafted into the side as a late blooming, 18 year old in the 05/06 season, where Omonoia only lost the league by 1 point, to a team that went unbeaten all year.
I was English through and through, but having been living in Cyprus since I was 6, that was due to my mum remarrying, but it meant that I could play for both nations. I was sat on the bench in this game, and waited for the manager to call my name.
“Daniel, you’re up” he said, 65 minutes into the game. I got up, and got ready to play. As the sub was named, I could only just hear my name being called above the roar of the crowd.
“… To be replaced by number 37, Daniel Polmeris!” the announcer shouted, and I was on, ready to take the game to Ayia Napa. I got the ball early, was spraying passes from left wing to everybody on my team, when one of my crosses landed straight onto Georgios Vakouftsis, our top scorer that season, and the ball rocketed into the net.
We were back in it, but then, with 8 minutes left, I had the ball on the wing, I wanted to take the ball to the bye line, and get the ball into the box to Georgios, but then, I felt to feet colliding with my leg, I felt myself hit the floor, and then I blacked out...

I woke up days later in Nicosia Hospital, I remember everydetail about this day, but I’ll keep it simple.
The doctor said I had broken my leg in 5 places, I wouldwalk again in 12 months, but I would never be able to play competitive footballagain. I’m not ashamed to say that I cried at that news, I wouldn’t seeanybody, my family knew to stay away. I got a letter of apology from Ayia NapaFC, and a message saying the guys that tackled me were truly sorry, I shruggedit off, saying it was only football, but the damage was done, I had no life tolook forward too.
18 months later, I got a letter from the Cypriot FA, sayingthat Omonoia Nicosia had recommended me for the top coaching badges from theEnglish FA. I would go to the courses in England for a year, and help out asmall scale club, Milton Keynes Dons while doing my badges, I wouldn’t have topay, the Cypriot FA did that as a small consolation for my leg.
So for a year, I was at MK Dons, I did my coaching badges,and went back to Cyprus to look for a job, it took another 6 months, but I gota contract offer, Ayia Napa FC.
I went to meet the chairman of the division 2 side, heexplained that he knew what I was capable of when I was playing, and was deeplysorry for the injury that his side caused, I quickly shrugged this off, I wasused to condolences, I just wanted to get back to football. He laid down hisoffer, and I accepted, I was a Youth coach at Ayia Napa…

Add some pics and space it out a little mate, just to make it more attractive to readers :D.

Back