The Defensive Strategy

• Thread starter Thread starter EdsNTFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 8K

EdsNTFC

Reaction score
Morning all

Playing around with a save last night in which I started unemployed & little reputation. Managed to nab the Cambridge United job in the BSP in November, we were in 18th spot & an average team with no morale.

I employed a 'standard' strategy away from home and a 'control' strategy at home. There is no other word to describe our performances (4 games in November - 4 losses). I know I was a new manager and my tactics were only 75% familiar but we were bad. 15+ fouls per game, 12+ shots against per game (and no more than 5 for), 40% or less possession per game. I knew I was managing an average side but this was bad.

I employed a defensive strategy and made tweaks to my players. The aim of my tactic was to keep the opposition out, and try to grab a few goals on the break or by frustrating the oppo with a slow build up and deep D-Line.

To my delight it worked, better than I could have imagined. (Bearing in mind my tactics were now unfamiliar now)We went on a run of 11 games ( Won 9, Drew 2 - Scored 17, Conceded 3) unbeaten by the end of January, also beating two League 2 teams in the FA Cup.

The main differece I noticed was in the ratings of my players which rose like a shot, my strikers started scoring even though we were "defensive" and also the match stats - I didn't commit more than 5 fouls in any game (and the oppo now regularly commited 15+) and had the highests tackle percentage I've ever seen. We were getting 55% possession and at least doubling the oppositions shots per game (usually because theirs was kept low).

Now, obviously I haven't tested this tactic with anyone other then Cambridge, and even this has only been 13 games but I was just wondering if anyone else had ever used a defensive strategy to the same effect? I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work with someone like Man United - defensive strategy so we keep the goals out, but with the fire power up front I'm confident we would still bag some goals.

Since I've been using it I keep thinking to myself, the defensive strategy is the "ethos of the team". Whilst my players individually are MORE attack minded in their own play than when using the "standard" strategy, yet "as a team" we are defensive.

Anyone ever done something like this with the TC?

Morning all

Playing around with a save last night in which I started unemployed & little reputation. Managed to nab the Cambridge United job in the BSP in November, we were in 18th spot & an average team with no morale.

I employed a 'standard' strategy away from home and a 'control' strategy at home. There is no other word to describe our performances (4 games in November - 4 losses). I know I was a new manager and my tactics were only 75% familiar but we were bad. 15+ fouls per game, 12+ shots against per game (and no more than 5 for), 40% or less possession per game. I knew I was managing an average side but this was bad.

I employed a defensive strategy and made tweaks to my players. The aim of my tactic was to keep the opposition out, and try to grab a few goals on the break or by frustrating the oppo with a slow build up and deep D-Line.

To my delight it worked, better than I could have imagined. (Bearing in mind my tactics were now unfamiliar now)We went on a run of 11 games ( Won 9, Drew 2 - Scored 17, Conceded 3) unbeaten by the end of January, also beating two League 2 teams in the FA Cup.

The main differece I noticed was in the ratings of my players which rose like a shot, my strikers started scoring even though we were "defensive" and also the match stats - I didn't commit more than 5 fouls in any game (and the oppo now regularly commited 15+) and had the highests tackle percentage I've ever seen. We were getting 55% possession and at least doubling the oppositions shots per game (usually because theirs was kept low).

Now, obviously I haven't tested this tactic with anyone other then Cambridge, and even this has only been 13 games but I was just wondering if anyone else had ever used a defensive strategy to the same effect? I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work with someone like Man United - defensive strategy so we keep the goals out, but with the fire power up front I'm confident we would still bag some goals.

Since I've been using it I keep thinking to myself, the defensive strategy is the "ethos of the team". Whilst my players individually are MORE attack minded in their own play than when using the "standard" strategy, yet "as a team" we are defensive.

Anyone ever done something like this with the TC?

Raikan's Awesome AMC employs a defensive strategy too and from what i've read in his thread his tactic is doing very well after the patch

Ah I have flicked through the thread and it looks great! Will continue to use this then and see how it pans out

you should always build a tactic from the back onwards. no use in scoring 5 goals if you're gonna concede 6! especially if you're taking charge of a team that is on a poor run of form and has very low morale. not losing and picking up player morale has to be the priority, when you've done that, obviously it will be easier to try and win games. so i think you've embraced the right approach to the challenge you have undertaken. this game is so advanced now that you need to take verything into account, and use all the tools you have at your disposal to try and change all the variables in your favour. some people arent ready for that, they refuse to accept the depth and complexity of the game and simply want this to be a "plug and play" game. they go on about "how does everyone win with this tactic and i dont", instead of looking deeper into the game and trying to find reasons and objective solutions to their failure.

keep it up mate, you're onto something :)

Last edited:
you should always build a tactic from the back onwards. no use in scoring 5 goals if you're gonna concede 6! especially if you're taking charge of a team that is on a poor run of form and has very low morale. not losing and picking up player morale has to be the priority, when you've done that, obviously it will be easier to try and win games. so i think you've embraced the right approach to the challenge you have undertaken. this game is so advanced now that you need to take verything into account, and use all the tools you have at your disposal to try and change all the variables in your favour. some people arent ready for that, they refuse to accept the depth and complexity of the game and simply want this to be a "plug and play" game. they go on about "how does everyone win with this tactic and i dont", instead of looking deeper into the game and trying to find reasons and objective solutions to their failure.

keep it up mate, you're onto something :)

I am stealing this for my thread here :) its very well said and I agree with it 100% :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...on-fm12-please-read-before-complaining-6.html

Totally agree with what has been said above. Previously it was easy to use a universal tactic that could compete against every formation and against any style of play. Now you have to play to your strengths whilst also attempting to eliminate the oppositions threats.

If you have a world class right winger and he's up against a youth team full back, the tactic should be altered to exploit this advantage. If the oppositions striker has not scored for 10 games, tell him he's s**t!

Also, as you say, you have to get the correct balance with your team. Crucial to keep morale high in the last few games of FM. Winning and losing games 5-4 will do nothing compared to a run of 10 undefeated games, presuming you are winning more than half of these.

Totally agree with what has been said above. Previously it was easy to use a universal tactic that could compete against every formation and against any style of play. Now you have to play to your strengths whilst also attempting to eliminate the oppositions threats.

If you have a world class right winger and he's up against a youth team full back, the tactic should be altered to exploit this advantage. If the oppositions striker has not scored for 10 games, tell him he's s**t!

Also, as you say, you have to get the correct balance with your team. Crucial to keep morale high in the last few games of FM. Winning and losing games 5-4 will do nothing compared to a run of 10 undefeated games, presuming you are winning more than half of these.

exactly!

And maybe this is why they have created FMC.

Too many things to do, that will make the game be slower

and much more complex and strategic.. therefore a better all round game.

It is no where near ready mate. Defensively yes, need more consistency going forwards.

Yes, I'm currently using it with QPR. 5th in the table when predicted 15th.

you should always build a tactic from the back onwards.

I am absolutely terrible at building from the back I had one great tactic built from the back but it was in FM2010 with Villa...
Last year I accidentally built a brilliant defensive strategy by just trying to win the ball back high up the field and keep the ball... However this year those principle are no longer applicable...

I think Im going to attempt a solid defensive strategy tomorrow Iv ran into a rough patch at the minute my outscoring is starting to not work as well as it use too... you've inspired me..

Sounds like an awsome tactic, will you be put some screenshots up plz??

Back