The Don's Revival - An Aberdeen F.C Story

• Thread starter Thread starter 94amc94
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 2K

94amc94

Reaction score
One step beyond, A classic by ska band madness blasted around an empty Pittodrie stadium as Karí Anderson equalised against St. Johnstone. A typical 35 yard strike from the Icelandic midfielder sent 4,000 red fans into raptures. With 11 games to go, and 9 points off the bottom. My local club was definitely on the decline right before my bright blue eyes. After the goal, there was a deafening silence for the next 27 minutes of the match. The passion of Aberdeen fans had gradually been drained out since the Mark McGhee days, and that was only 4 or 5 years ago. The poor footballing standards and average results have turned the red's faithful away from their beloved club. A team with a huge history crumbling before our eyes. In my opinion, the players are being managed poorly. After all, I see them being trained every day while i take the under 16's in the youth set up. Craig Brown is far to old to still be coaching, and frankly he isn't a good coach either, he doesn't have a clue, I'd be better off being the coach.

It was my turn to be in the Pittodrie dug out the day after in a Scottish Cup semi-final match against Celtic. Who obviously where the favourites to win the tournament. With Craig Brown in the stands, I wanted to show him how to coach a team. The game kicked off, The first 25 minutes was very even, Both teams trying to retain possession for as long as possible, I looked up to the stands and seen Craig Brown next to the club chairman who had came to spur on the lads, He gave me a quick wave, But i had other things to worry about, Jack Kirwan gave Celtic the lead with a wonder goal. Our boys failed to convert a corner, the clearance landed to the 16 year old and he just kept running before lobbing the ball over the head of our keeper. A fantastic solo effort, I applauded along with everyone else. Half time it was 1-0 to 'The hoops.'

We returned out into the second half in high spirits, a good first half performance encouraged us and we thought a final place was in sights. 200 miles away at Hampden. I told the lads to have as many shots on goal as possible. It paid off as we scored 2 long range goals in the space of 12 minutes in the second half. A 1000 strong crowd cheering on the clubs new hot prospects. Celtic failed to convert any of the chances they created in the second half, despite having many opportunities to. We stuck to the task well playing some decent football, and a some disciplined defending made sure we were in the final of the Scottish Cup. The lads went wild, I went wild. It's a shame we couldn't get steaming as they all had school the next morning. I sent the lads on their way after congratulating them and I stayed behind in the dressing room to clean up the ridiculous mess from the celebrations. Mr Brown entered,

"congratulations son, your team really deserved that out there today"

"Thanks Craig, the lads were really great. I'm so proud of them"

"I better be off, I have a meeting with the chairman in 2 minutes, See you later son, and good luck in the final"

Mr Brown left, I just got back to cleaning, not thinking about that encounter I just had with a man I've never respected. A sudden bang interrupted my efforts to clean the place. I opened the changing room door and there he was. Mr Brown lying on the floor unconscious, "Craig !" I shouted, "Can you hear me?", There was no reply. A huge gaping wound on the top of his bald head made me feel queasy, as if i'd be next lying spread across the floor. Fast footsteps approached from behind. It was the chairman, He checked Mr Brown's pulse, sighed and condemned "He's dead" I didn't know how to react. I had never seen a dead man before, and i had no feelings for his departure from earth. I called an ambulance, but it was too late. "Go home Thomas, But be in my office at 9am Friday morning"

What could this be for I thought to myself, It wasn't my fault Mr. Brown had died, He was just old, his time had come. I went home and Sky Sports News was the first thing that crossed my mind. The beautiful Georgie Thompson, Beside some ugly bloke with an annoying laugh had confirmed the news once and for all. He was dead, I had no care in the world though, He had ruined my club. Then something very unexpected happened. As I was about to switch the TV off, Georgie then announced "A source from deep inside the club has hinted that youth team manager is due for a meeting with Chairman Steve Milne to discuss the possibility of the inexperienced 33 year old taking over til the end of the season. Aberdeen are currently ninth place in the SPL and with 11 games to go there is every chance that the club could still go down. We'll have more on the story in the coming days"

Was this a joke? As flattered as I was, I would never get the chance to take over the club. I had no experience in professional management. But then, Why would the chairman want me, Was i going to be the next manager of my boyhood hero's. My thoughts entered another universe considering the possibilities of why Stevie wanted me to go down. I looked out a decent suit in preparation. I could barely sleep at the thought. I was really excited about the prospect of being the next Aberdeen manager, But was all the excitement for nothing ? ...

AberdeenCrest1.gif

After a restless night in my flat, it was time to get out of bed to prepare for what could be a big day ahead. As i brewed up a coffee, Butterflies started to swimming around my stomach. I was really nervous, I ironed my good suit, showered and left with 12 minutes to the meeting, I got into my sub standard Ford Focus and set off down the main road towards the stadium, I arrived with 40 seconds to spare. I ran into the entrance where I was greeted by the chairman, He invited me into his office, before offering a warm beverage and some breakfast. Sipping some coffee, i took a seat in a huge recliner chair. Before starting the conversation ..

So what was it you wanted me for sir ?

Well, we're currently managerless. And in our current league position no decent manager is interested in coming here. And after 2 fantastic seasons with the youth team. We feel you are the perfect man for the job, You have those young kids playing some very good football.

Thanks sir, they're the ones who deserve the credit, not me.

Don't be so silly, someone had to ingrain that style of play in their minds. Do you want the job ?

I took another sip of coffee, And placed the cup on his desk. Rudely. Yes of course, it would be an honour to manage the club.

That's great news, Can you start today ?

Well, If i must. What are the terms of the contract ?

a deal until the end of the season, if we stay up. You get a 3 year deal. You get relegated, Your out the door, is that a fair deal ?

That should be easy enough, how much are we talking per week? I asked in an arrogant voice.

I don't like your tone, but your the only option. So 900 euros a week.

I chuckled snidely. Are you having a laugh. 5000 euros a week.

He replied with his own snide laugh, ok 3,600 a week. Thats as high as i can go. Craig Brown was on less !

Thats a reasonable deal, I won't let you down. I better go and tell my own kids. Then introduce myself to the players. I know a few of them already. See you later Steve.

So that was it, I left the entrance of Pittodrie stadium, The press must have been tipped off about my arrival at the stadium. Flashes from the camera attempting to blind me only made me walk faster. I didn't say a word, i just left in my car. I drove off, cars following me desperate for a story for one of their crappy newspapers. I had to drive by my flat. And at one point was heading towards Inverness. Around 2 and a half hours later i finally lost the BMW that had been stalking every turn i made. I got into the flat and turned the TV on, after the 3 minute long break reappeared the stunning Georgie Thomspon from last night. Along the bottom of the screen, a yellow line claiming "breaking news" showed on screen. "Thomas McCart named manager of Aberdeen til end of the season" I looked in the mirror, and felt starstruck for the first time since the legend Gordon Strachan gave me a firm hand shake back in the 90's. A sudden arrogance fell over my shoulder. I wouldn't even have one training session with the boys before the game tommorow against St Mirren. It was a huge match, and i was really looking forward to it ..

AberdeenCrest1.gif

Back