The England North vs South Challenge

mancmalaga

Reaction score
Basically the idea is that you take control of England and choose a squad of only northerners, or southerners, and see what you can achieve with that set of players.
If you want to represent the south you choose players who were born south of birmingham, as this although being in the midlands is considered 'north' in the north/south divide, and therefore if you want to represent the north you choose from birmingham upwards. So ye if anybody else fancies doing this challenge, then go ahead.

For example, i chose the north, and my first squad consisted of:
GKs
Jason Steele (Middlesborough)
Joe Hart (Shrewsbury)
Fraser Forster (Newcastle)
DFs
Micah Richards (Birmingham)
Danny Simpson (Salford)
Kyle Walker (Sheffield)
Phil Neville (Manchester)
Joleon Lescott (Wolverhampton)
Phil Jagielka (Manchester)
Gary Cahill (Sheffield)
Ryan Shawcross (Chester)
Leighton Baines (Liverpool)
MFs
Michael Carrick (Newcastle)
Tom Huddlestone (Nottingham)
James Milner (Leeds)
Aaron Lennon (Leeds)
Stewart Downing (Middlesborough)
Adam Johnson (Middlesborough)
FWs
Gabby Agbonlahor (Birmingham)
Danny Sturridge (Birmingham)
Wayne Rooney (Liverpool)
Danny Welbeck (Manchester)

Quick question, what should I do about players that aren't born in England? Should I not include them all together or judge them on the club they play for? Cheers.

what so do you mean like hargreaves? its a tough one, he would be technically cos apparantly his parents are from bolton, but if you don't know that for other players born outside of england, ye just choose the club they play for

For the challenge I've decided to go for northern players because I am from the north. :p Things have been going well for the first six months; England qualified for Euro 2012 with ease and remained unbeaten, even when playing against world champions Spain!

View attachment 218915View attachment 218916View attachment 218917View attachment 218918View attachment 218919View attachment 218920
View attachment 218923View attachment 218924View attachment 218926
England have been drawn a relatively easy group that they should qualify from easily but if they keep up their form they have a good chance of winning it :p

View attachment 218928
An added bonus is that we've won the U20s World Cup, beating Brazil 2-1 in the final. I tried to get rid of all the southern players from the national pool but they kept getting picked but anyway we won it! :) We also picked up some individual accolades as Connor Wickham coming second in the golden ball and golden boot. England got all three goals of the tournament with Connor Wickham getting two of them and George Thorne getting the best, shame I can't use any of them :( One positive is that Jake Kean won the Golden Glove so there's one to look out for ;)

View attachment 218930
View attachment 218936View attachment 218937View attachment 218938View attachment 218939
An interesting year to come up with Euro 2012 and the Olympics which will give me an indication of any young talent coming through :p Lets see what happens... ;)

thats really good that mate,i'll try and put my screenshots up in the next few days, but cos i chose the north as well my squads are pretty much the same as urs, anyway,we need to get a southerner doing it as well so we can see how they do, but ye keep it up,and hopefully get some euro 2012 success

what so do you mean like hargreaves? its a tough one, he would be technically cos apparantly his parents are from bolton, but if you don't know that for other players born outside of england, ye just choose the club they play for

so what happens when you get someone like aaron hunt (english-german i think he's already capped for germany though) who is bron in a foreign country and plays their club football there?

Cheers and I think the north just has the best players :p It would be good to compare with someone doing it with the south :)

Another quick question, when choosing for the Olympic squad can I use players from the other home nations?

i'll leave that upto you mate, its hard to say, maybe only scottish, cos thats even more northern lol

My first full year as Enland manager has reaped alot of rewards :) A series of impressive performances in friendlies leading up to Euro 2012 showed a sign of things to come, including a 3-1 win over world champions Spain.
View attachment 219722View attachment 219723View attachment 219724View attachment 219725View attachment 219726

Luckily for us there were no major injuries in the lead up to the tournament which meant I had a free choice in who I could pick. Two wins from the first two games just about ensured qualification to the next round and a draw with Holland meant they topped the table. Unfortuantely they faced a difficult quater-final against 2006 world champions Italy. However England fought hard and ground out a 2-1 victory. We then faced the old enemy, Germany, in the semi-final. The occasion spurred us on to another 2-1 victory to put us in the final. We faced a Croatia side who beat Spain in the semi-final. Luckily for us, after an early setback we dominated the game and won 3-1 to claim England's first European Championship! As a testament to how well we played, our players dominated the dream team with six players in the first eleven and another three in the substitutes.

View attachment 219738View attachment 219739View attachment 219740View attachment 219748View attachment 219741View attachment 219746View attachment 219747View attachment 219755
View attachment 219749

After the Euro 2012 success there was a chance for the youth players to show thier worth. Great Britain were drawn in a group with Uruguay, South Korea and Ghana. An early draw against Uruguay didn't look convincing but Britain stepped things up in the next two games with wins over Ghana and South Korea. In the quater-finals we faced Switzerland and brushed them aside with a 2-1 victory. In the semi-finals we defeated Brazil 3-1 despite having Marc Albrighton sent off after 47 minutes. A problem with discipline meant that Britain only had two subs for the final against Mexico. However we dug deep again and won 2-1. The youngster seem to have a reputation for scoring good goals as they swept the best goals award as Charlie Adam, Andy Carroll and Jay Rodriguez placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively. Andy Carroll ended the tournament as Britain's top scorer and youngster Jay Rodriguez impressed and scored two goals in the process, another one to look out for. ;)

View attachment 219758View attachment 219759View attachment 219760View attachment 219761View attachment 219762View attachment 219763View attachment 219764View attachment 219765View attachment 219766

So far England have a 100% record in the World Cup qualifiers scoring 15 and conceding 0. England look set to qualify with ease which means they have a chance to concentrate on having a go at the Conferderations Cup. As an added bonus, the Under 21s won the French Youth Invitational but unfortunately I couldn't get rid of the southern players so I can't really count that. :( After Euro 2012 England leapt up the table to be ranked number 1 in the world! The highest position England have been ranked in their history. Unfortuantely the year ended on a low note after losing out first game with me as the manager and a disappointing draw win Northern Ireland. Apart from that it's another exciting year to look forward too... :)

View attachment 219773View attachment 219774View attachment 219775View attachment 219778View attachment 219779View attachment 219780View attachment 219781View attachment 219776View attachment 219777

Top class that mate, always have faith in the northerners, screen on my laptops broke at the mo, so unfortunately won't be playing for a bit

Cheers mate and unlucky :( It's a shame, I was looking forward to hearing how you've got on

Sorry I haven't updated in a while but I've been caught up in the F.C United vs. Man United challenge so I won't be updating as regualrly as I used to. However I do have the update for the year 2013 where England carried on thier good form in qualifying, only losing one game away to Ukraine. The year started off with a 3-2 win over Scotland who have leapt up the rankings in recent years. Surpsingly England only topped the group on goal deifference as England and Ukraine won all but one of their games. Unfortuantely I forgot to take a screenshot of the final table but I know that England topped the group with 27 points and +35 goal difference.
View attachment 223074View attachment 223075View attachment 223076View attachment 223077View attachment 223078View attachment 223079
In between the two parts of qualifying was the small matter of the Confederations Cup to deal with. England topped the group with three wins out of three and again I forgot to take a screenshot of the group
sad.gif
I managed to work out that England came first, Uruguay came second, Mexico came third and New Zealand came bottom. England faced a semi-final against world champions Spain after topping their group with ease. Both teams battled hard for 90 minutes but neither side could find the breakthrough which meant extra time. Again neither side could find that all important goal which meant the dreaded penalty shoot-out
irked.gif
Thankfully Joe Hart was on sparkling form and saved two penalties
grin.gif
The other players held their nerve and England went through to the final winning 4-2 on penalties
grin.gif
This set up a meeting with Uruguay who England beat in the last game of the group stages. Despite going 1-0 down early on, two goals from Gary Cahill of all people ensured that England claimed their 3rd piece of silverware under my regime
tongue.gif
(That's if you count the Olympics lol). Top perfromances from Joe Hart and Wayne Rooney earned them the Best Goalkeeper and Best Player respectively.
View attachment 223080View attachment 223086View attachment 223081View attachment 223082View attachment 223083View attachment 223084View attachment 223085
Now it's time to focus on the youth aspect
tongue.gif
There were two tournaments this year for the U20s which were the French Youth Invitational and the U20s World Cup. We'll start with the French Youth Invitational as that happened first xD England had a strong selection to pick from up front with Dale Jennings who has already been capped and scored for the senior team. The first game was against Panama U21s which England brushed aside with ease winning 7-1 and Dale Jennings scoring 4 first half goals. England then faced Algeria U21s which again England breezed past 3-0. The final group game was with France U20s where the big mistake was resting Dale Jennings as England slumped to a 3-2 defeat. Finishing second in the group set up a semi-final match against Chile U21s where we regained our form to win 2-0. The final saw us face the team that beat us in the group stage, France. I didn't make the mistake that I did last time so I brought back Dale Jennings. The previous defeat seemed to motivate the players and we went on to demolish them 7-1. Our players swept the Best Player category winning first second and third. Sam Johnstone won the Best Goalkeeper award and Dale Jennings took the top goalscorer award and set a new record for the amount of goals scored. Roll on the U20s World Cup it seemed.
View attachment 223091View attachment 223092View attachment 223093View attachment 223095View attachment 223096View attachment 223097View attachment 223098View attachment 223099
Finally we move onto the U20s World Cup. I was hoping to carry on the momentum from the French Youth Invitational but a surpsing number of players were deemed ineligible even though they were 20 at the time
xd.gif
This meant that I couldn't choose from the pool of players I wanted to which included Dale Jennings
cry.gif
England started off the campaign with a 2-2 draw with Ghana followed by a 4-1 win over Turkey. England seemed to have an easy final game against Algeria who England played in the French Youth Invitational but we slumped to a 5-3 defeat. England placed second in the group which meant a tough draw against Argentina. England battled hard but succumbed to a 3-1 defeat. A disappointing campaign but one plus point was Will Keane who scored 4 goals in the tournament and hopefully another one to look out for.
View attachment 223101View attachment 223102View attachment 223103View attachment 223104View attachment 223105View attachment 223107View attachment 223106
A pretty good year all in all but again a disappointing ending with a 2-1 loss to Uruguay and a 0-0 draw with Portugal. One high point for one player in particular was that Wayne Rooney became England's all time topgoal scorer with 50 goals and counting. Althoughg if Danny Welbeck keeps his form up he may be in with a shout of coming close to that as he's scored 9 goals in 12 games since I've taken over. I have also found out the draw for the 2014 World Cup and England are put in a group with Switzerland, Ghana and Australia. England should quailfy from the group but it will be interesting to see how far we go.
View attachment 223108View attachment 223109View attachment 223110View attachment 223111View attachment 223112View attachment 223113View attachment 223114
Just a quick note, I won't be updating as regualrly as I used to because like I said I'm caught up in another challenge but I will try to carry on the challenge and update it as often as I can
smile.gif

The World Cup has come along at last! Finally England can try to put their 48 years of hurt behind them. Things started off well for them as Spain surprisingly failed to qualify for the finals. England's friendlies were a mixed bag, starting with 1-0 and 2-1 wins over Slovakia and France followed by a 1-2 defeat against Chile. 10 days before the World Cup started England won 3-1 against Denmark to give themselves some momentum. The campaign started well with a 3-1 win over Switzerland followed by a 3-1 win over Australia. Those wins meant England had qualified for the group stages with a game to spare and they took it easy against Ghana with the score ending 2-2. Things got better for England as Argentina failed to qualify from their group. England faced Uruguay in the second round and brushed them aside easily with another 3-1 victory. It increasingly seemed that it would be England's year as Brazil, Holland and Italy all went out in the second round. In the quaterfinal England faced Portugal but this time didn't crumble at this stage and won 2-0. With a large number of the big teams out in the early rounds England faced Mexico in the semifinal. Yet another 3-1 victory saw England set up a final with France. England again had to come from behind but goals from Rooney and Welbeck won the game for England and the first World Cup since 1966!
View attachment 224785View attachment 224786View attachment 224787View attachment 224788View attachment 224789View attachment 224790View attachment 224791View attachment 224792View attachment 224800View attachment 224793View attachment 224794View attachment 224795View attachment 224796View attachment 224797View attachment 224798View attachment 224799

The only other point of interest was the three European Qualifying games against San Marino, Albania, Kazakhstan which you could imagine were brushed aside with ease. Next year isn't going to be too interesting as it will be just friendlies and European Championship Qualifiers so it will be a chance to bleed some youngsters into the team.
View attachment 224801View attachment 224802View attachment 224803View attachment 224804View attachment 224805View attachment 224806