The Flight of the Baggie Bird - A West Bromwich Albion Story

Liverbri

Reaction score
Roy Hodgson Fired!
5th July 2011

The West Midlands based club, West Bromwich Albion have confirmed today that Roy Hodgson has been fired after just 5 months in the job.

The news will come as a suprise to many, as Roy Hodgson had managed to steer WBA clear of relegation, after he replaced Roberto Di Matteo as manager. Di Matteo was fired for losing 13 games of his last 18 matches, which resulted in them being in danger of relegation. But, Hodgson joined and managed to guide them to an impressive 11th placed finish in the table.

Club Chairman, Jeremy Peace, had this to say:

"Today, I am sad to announce the departure of manager Roy Hodgson. We feel the club are in a large transition period, so we feel the need to also have a change in management, although this decision was hard to make. In recent months when working with Roy, we have created a very close bond, but feel that the club needs something different. Roy still is a wonderful and respected manager that any team would want to have, although we feel as if something different is needed. The hunt for the new manager will start immediatly, with many well respected and young, talented managers on our shortlist. Thank You."

The bookie's favourite for the job is Brian McDermott, but other names such as Martin O'Neil and Rafa Benitez have been given good odds to get the job. Assistant manager *Michael Appleton is an outsider to take the reins at The Hawthorns.

*I know Michael Appleton is Portsmouth manager in real life, but was Assistant Manager for WBA earlier in the season and this story is starting on 5th July , so all information is correct to that date.

Thanks for reading this if you have done, updates MOST LIKELY WON'T be every day, although I'll try and fit in a couple a week, so don't expect frequent daily updates. Thanks!