The greatest comeback against Barcelona

• Thread starter Thread starter Indyyan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 2K

Indyyan

Reaction score
Perhaps my favourite moment in FM so far.

It's the Champions League Semi Final and i find myself 5-1 down against Barcelona in the first leg. So, in the second leg i had nothing to lose and just went in for the kill. I attacked from the start. It resulted in this:

View attachment 315444

The Ox scored a hattrick with Ozil out injured, Alexis scores in the 90th minute to make it 5-1 and to keep us in the tie, when i thought Neymar's 1 minute goal against us would of been the start of another Barcelona dominance. And just take a look how i won it on extra time, an own goal from a former Arsenal player got me through to the final of the Champions League. This match had everything!

The stats are unbelievable:
View attachment 315441

This is how i set my team from the first minute, continually attacking:
View attachment 315440

I just thought i share this with you guys because i am ****** shocked. Still am!!!!

Last edited:
That surely has to be the greatest comeback I've seen on this game!!!

This happens too much on this game I find..... On my save I beat Chelsea 6-0 in first leg, then last 20 mins of 2nd leg (after I was all over them all game), they score 7 goals.

I also lost 4-0 to Bayern in a different season and went 2-0 down in 2nd leg, surprise surprise I won 7-2.

I can understand turning round a 1 or 2 goal lead on a regular basis, and maybe 3 or 4 goals on the odd occasion, but it just seems to be ridiculous this time around. Consistently teams (and not just mine) scoring just enough goals 2nd leg to go through.

Dare I say it; it's almost as if it's scripted....

I believe it isn't, but it's very hard to keep believing that when this happens on a regular basis. It's as if certain teams are scripted to get so far in a comp, and if you win (or lose) the 1st leg and it looks like the team is going through that 'shouldn't', then the game corrects it in the 2nd leg.

It's as if certain teams are scripted to get so far in a comp, and if you win (or lose) the 1st leg and it looks like the team is going through that 'shouldn't', then the game corrects it in the 2nd leg.

I know you are not saying it is definitely scripted but just to add my 2 cents for other readers.

Simply if the game was scripted to ''ensure certain teams get to a certain stage of the competition", then reloading the same game against that particular team would always result in a loss...but it does not; thus proving it is not scripted.

I know you are not saying it is definitely scripted but just to add my 2 cents for other readers.

Simply if the game was scripted to ''ensure certain teams get to a certain stage of the competition", then reloading the same game against that particular team would always result in a loss...but it does not; thus proving it is not scripted.

I know it isn't scripted, I was just saying that it's hard at times to keep that belief. The game isn't designed for people to reload and re play games, so if you were to start a game and complete a season without reloading (like it should be done in my opinion) then the results it gives 'could' be part of the script, and by reloading you are effectively changing how the game is meant to turn out.

It's only a rough query, and by no means am I trying to take credit away from the initial point of this thread, it was an awesome result, all I'm saying is it just seems to happen a little more than it would in real life, almost to the point where some may think it's scripted for certain teams to do certain things. Again, I'm not one who thinks it's scripted as I completely understand your point, but you have to admit, there are certain things, this included that can't help but make you wonder, 'is it?'

I believe it isn't, but it's very hard to keep believing that when this happens on a regular basis. It's as if certain teams are scripted to get so far in a comp, and if you win (or lose) the 1st leg and it looks like the team is going through that 'shouldn't', then the game corrects it in the 2nd leg.

Or they have good squads with a manger who has high man managing and tactical Knowledge...

Honestly, if you knew how difficult it is to scrip a predictable outcome into a probability engine, we'd have super computers in every corner shop if programmers were the good!

This happens too much on this game I find..... On my save I beat Chelsea 6-0 in first leg, then last 20 mins of 2nd leg (after I was all over them all game), they score 7 goals.

I also lost 4-0 to Bayern in a different season and went 2-0 down in 2nd leg, surprise surprise I won 7-2.

I can understand turning round a 1 or 2 goal lead on a regular basis, and maybe 3 or 4 goals on the odd occasion, but it just seems to be ridiculous this time around. Consistently teams (and not just mine) scoring just enough goals 2nd leg to go through.

The previous season, my match with Bayern ended in a high aggregate score after being 3-1 or 4-1 down (I cant remember which). I still got through somehow.... :S

It's things like this that make me loose fatih in FM, 54 shots?..

Still congratulations i guess

It's things like this that make me loose fatih in FM, 54 shots?..

Still congratulations i guess

I have a tactic which literally suffocates the opposition. It is highly risky. I have matches where i can have 25+ shots and still lose without scoring.

Well, at least you recognize it's creative, and risky, and encourages weird results as well as being hit on the break. No holding player nor anything whatsoever. Could you save this and upload the pkm? Looks very interesting. :) I'd be interested to see if the AI tactical decisions made it pull back and attempt to soak up pressure or if it is a case of overloading the final third with players or both. It's not all the engine. Sometimes it's tactics or a combination. Wouldn't be a first in terms of weird AI decisions, nor would it be a first in terms of creative human tactics being able to overload anything the AI can muster. Looks a thriller!

I'd be even MORE interested in dave's Chelsea comeback scoring 7 goals in the space of twenty minutes. If that isn't down to high risk enabling them to get a foot back into the game somehow, that'd be quite something. :D From gut feeling dropping all deep tends to invite too much pressure almost by itself for my taste too. Previously it used to be risky fielding players with natural positioning traits such as gets forward PPMs in such a role as they would venture forward regardless (think Chelsea of old without Makelele staying deep and covering the runs of Lampard and Essien). It seems SI has ditched that at least in the CM strata though probably in an attempt to avoid frustration or to make AI tactics more stable. I'm not sured it considered PPMs when fielding players.

Last edited:
Well, at least you recognize it's creative, and risky, and encourages weird results as well as being hit on the break. No holding player nor anything whatsoever. Could you save this and upload the pkm? Looks very interesting. :) I'd be interested to see if the AI tactical decisions made it pull back and attempt to soak up pressure or if it is a case of overloading the final third with players or both. It's not all the engine. Sometimes it's tactics or a combination. Wouldn't be a first in terms of weird AI decisions, nor would it be a first in terms of creative human tactics being able to overload anything the AI can muster. Looks a thriller!

I'd be even MORE interested in dave's Chelsea comeback scoring 7 goals in the space of twenty minutes. If that isn't down to high risk enabling them to get a foot back into the game somehow, that'd be quite something. :D From gut feeling dropping all deep tends to invite too much pressure almost by itself for my taste too. Previously it used to be risky fielding players with natural positioning traits such as gets forward PPMs in such a role as they would venture forward regardless (think Chelsea of old without Makelele staying deep and covering the runs of Lampard and Essien). It seems SI has ditched that at least in the CM strata though probably in an attempt to avoid frustration or to make AI tactics more stable. I'm not sured it considered PPMs when fielding players.

Ok it may have been 30; but I used 20 for effect lol

I've since started a new save on the latest patch, and my initial bug bears have not yet raised their ugly heads, although there's plenty of time! The only thing I've found on the latest patch (and I know this is the wrong thread so apologies!) but players seem to get a lot more complacent a lot quicker.

I do agree with your point about dropping deeper, I try my hardest not to use that particular instruction. If I want to go defensive I usually sacrifice an attacker and have 2 holding midfielders and move to counter, I've found this to be the most effective (unless as I've mentioned in previous posts I have one of those games where no matter what happens, my team decide to crumble like a wet slug)

Back