The Ipswich Project

Reaction score
[h=3]The Ipswich Project: Day 1[/h]

Ipswich Town have a history of being a very patient club, only ever having 17 managers since the club was founded in 1878... better make that 18! earlier this morning news had got out that they had parted company with their manager, Paul Jewell with immediate effect stating a 'difference in opinion and a desire to try something new.' time to get my FM cv out once again...

...​

Never had i imagined i would recieve anything back, i just liked the thought of them having to filter through all the phony letters, but almost immediately i recieved a reply to my email, asking me to take a look around. 'this must be a joke' i thought to myself, but it was worth a go i suppose...

As i had thought, the letter had been a practical joke by one of the employees at the clubs offices, but i was there and a man with a plan and managed to blag myself 10 minutes with Simon Clegg (the clubs CEO) and told him my plans. my idea was that over the past years since relegation freom the Premier League, there had been no continuity, from the constant hiring and firing of managers to the selling and buying of players. i wanted to try and use our youth system to a greater effect, and bring back the passing football that we were once claimed for. Clegg whipped his smart new phone out of his pocket and held it up to his ear. i assumed it was security and he was calling to get rid of a fan bothering him with his ideas, but instead he said - 'hi, Marcus, i think ive found someone, and i think he's exactly what we are looking for'... a pause -and then an 'ok, great' as he put down the phone 'we want to sign you straight away, sorry your name is?'
'Josh, Josh Berry' i replied

...​

before i knew it i was swept into a room full of cameras and reporters and my first interview as the new Ipswich manager awaited me, '****** ****!' this was all a bit much... Mr Clegg calmed me down and just told me to 'tell them what you told me, everyone wants tohear about the man to bring Premier League football back to Portman Road ' no pressure then...

[h=3]The Ipswich Project: Day 2[/h]

I very much expected to walk into Portman Road tomorrow and to be greeted by my friends laughing at the grand success of such a well planned practical joke, but to my surprise i was greeted by the receptionist, who told me my press conference was on Sky Sports News and i should take a look, and there i was with the questions being aimed at me, i look like a very pale, excited schoolkid...

...​

In that moment i saw Simon (Clegg) again coming through a set of glass doors with a man ihad never seen before in my life. he shook my hand and greeted me 'Marcus Evans, i've heard a lot about you'... no wonder i hadn't seen him, seriously who has! he was much leaner than i had imagined...'time to meet your players Josh' this should be interesting.

To the players credit the most of them listened intently to what i was saying and my plan for the coming year (Not to mention any names, but Jimmy Bullard and Lee Bowyer were quick to point out my lack of experience with quips about how i should still be working in the local supermarket which was met by sniggers amongst the squad) i shrugged these off however and overall i had felt the first meeting had gone well. the staff seemed nice enough and i let them know their jobs were safe. my first job had to be to bring in an assistant. Steve McCall,the clubs head scout reccomended Tony Humes, former Town player who was currently working down the road at Colchester as a youth coach,so i took his advise, after all, what do I really know?? along with this advice, he also handed me a report of the current group of players, signs are good at the minute...

Main men at the moment are definitely Chopra, Bullard and Scotland but players like Whight, Hyam and Emmanuel Thomas look like they could be real top players in a few years, that's is McCall has his facts right of course...

Please follow my Ipswich Project Blog! TheJoshBlog

Back