The journey of a man - A Journeyman story

Chokopop

Self-diagnosed FM addict
Reaction score
I've been following some stories here on FM-Base for a while, and have actually had some success with stories myself quite a few years ago - FM14/15 if I recall correctly. And, since my PC finally is totally up and running again I've decided to do one myself. So here I give you, a journeyman save. Updates are gonna be plentiful as I am currently studying from home.

Updates will be monthly during the regular season, though with the exception of pre-season.

Now, I am going to start with the highest coaching badges and rep, but that doesn't guarantee top jobs right away.

Attributes.png

These are the leagues I have loaded, with a player count of 101,000. I do have a semi-powerful computer, so getting the save going shouldn't be too much of an issue - I usually play with a player count of around 88,000

Leagues.png

Player Count.png

Applying for jobs:
While there is one top job available in Bayern Munich, I will not be going for the huge clubs right from the beginning. Here is a list of clubs I have applied for so far.

Applications.png

Next up: Where will I go?

New Job

KRC Genk

KRC Genk Logo.png

Koninklijk Racing Club Genk commonly known as KRC Genk, Racing Genk or simply Genk, is a Belgian professional football club based in the city of Genk in Belgian Limburg. Racing Genk plays in the Belgian Pro League and have won four championship titles; in 1998–99, in 2001–02, in 2010–11 and in 2018–19. They have also won four Belgian Cups, most recently in 2008–09 and in 2012–13. They qualified for the UEFA Champions League group stage in the 2002–03, 2011–12 and 2019–20 seasons.

The club formed in 1988 by the merger of Waterschei Thor with KFC Winterslag, from which it took over the matricule number. It has been one of the most successful clubs in Belgium since the late 1990s and so they regularly qualify for European competitions. The club has been playing in the first division since the 1996–97 season. They play their home matches in the Luminus Arena. Their main outfit is blue and white. (Wikipedia)

Season Preview:

We are predicted to finish 3rd, which in Belgium gives access to the Europa League group stages. We are with a chance to challenge for the league as well. A title challenge in my first season would be very welcome, as I try to leave my mark on this great Belgian Club
Season Preview.png

Finances

The clubs finances are very healthy to say the least. We are £111.2 million in the green, and I actually expect this to increase with our participation in the UEFA Champions League
Finances.png

Expectations
As expected, we're required to at least challenge for the title. With this squad however, it shouldn't be too difficult. Apart from that, we are also supposed to reach the final of the Cofidis Cup, win the Belgian Super Cup and attempt to be competetive in the Champions League. The latter is going to be the hardest, all depending on our luck in the group stage draw.
KRC Genk - Expectations.png

5 year plan

We are gradually supposed to improve each season, starting with a title challenge, a super cup win and a cup final. The most interesting piece of the 5 year plan, is the fact that we are supposed to develop the best youth system in the world in the 2022/2023 season.

While the club has produced some amazing talent over the years, such as Kevin De Bruyne, Thibaut Courtois and Divock Origi, actually developing the best youth system in the world is gonna be incredibly challenging, considering already established youth systems such as Ajax and Barcelona.

5 year plan 1.png
5 year plan 2.png

Budgets

There is not a lot to say in terms of budgets. We don't have a lot of money available to spend, but with the squad already available to us I hadn't expected us to be very active in the transfer market this season, regardless of the transfer budget we had received.
Budgets.png

Squad
We have quite a fantastic squad available, several players already being good enough to play in a top 5 league. That being said, I am going to try to keep hold of my key players for as long as possible. Either until I have youth projects ready to make the step up into the first team, or I can get proper replacements. Since the club is in a very strong position financially, I won't be forced to sell players either for huge amounts of money.
Squad.png

Key players:

Goalkeeper:
My first choice goalkeeper is injured, and is out for 13 months. This means that I have to rely on 20 year old KRC Genk academy graduate Gaetan Coucke between the sticks. He already looks like a solid first choice goalkeeper, though I am somewhat worried by his lack of first team appearances for the club
Goalkeeper.png

Defender:
28 year old Sebastien Dewaest is going to be the first name on the team sheet in defense. While his stats may not be eye catching, he has already played a number of seasons at the club and with the rest of my defenders being relatively young, I am going to rely on his experience to lead the defense.
Cemter Back.png

Central Midfield:
Sander Berge may only be 21 years old, but this is already his 4th season with the Belgian giants. Keeping him at the club, is going to be my main priority as he is undoubtedly my best player overall. He already has the quality to play for one of the European big boys, but hopefully I can fend off their interest by delivering trophies and steady performances in the Champions League.

Centre Mid.png

Wing:
On the wing, I am going to rely on Danish kid Joakim Mæhle. Not only does he have great attacking qualities, he is quite versatile as well. He can play any position down the right, which is quite handy. And to top it off, he's only 22 years old.

Wing.png

Striker:
Upfront we have Mbwana Samatta, a 26 year old Tanzanian striker. 26 years old, so already quite experienced, but still young enough to have his best years ahead of him. Africa is renowned for producing great attacking players such as Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto'o and Sadio Mané. Maybe Samatta can cement his place in history as an African great.

Striker.png

Next up: End of pre-season and the first month of the season.

Pre Season and Belgian Super Cup

Pre Season:
We didn't play any notably big clubs during pre-season, though the biggest disappointment came in the 2-2 draw against FC Heidenheim. The 3-0 win against Middlesbrough was however quite a good result.

Season 1 - 1.png
Season 1 - 2.png

Super Cup:

KRC Genk 2 - 0 KV Mechelen
Man of the Match: Casper De Norre
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Dewaest, Wouters, Uronen (Borges (Injury, Lucumi)) - Mæhle (Hagi), Piotrowski, Hrosovsky, Bongonda (Injury, Paintsil) - Nygren (Goal, 41), Odey (Goal, 25)

We weren't dominating on posession, with only 45%. Though we were quite efficient with 20 shots to Mechelen's 5. Overall, it was a deserved victory for us. This is only Genk's 2nd Super Cup win.
Genk 2-0 Mechelen.png
Super Cup Victory.png

Injuries:
Unfortunately we picked up some injuries. Sander Berge and Carlos Cuesta got injured before the Super Cup match for 4 weeks and 9 days respectively. Whilst Borges (3 weeks) and Theo Bongonda (4 weeks) got injured during the match

Next up: August results and transfers

Genk Logo Small.png

August

League:

KRC Genk 4 - 1 Waasland-Beveren
Man of the Match: Sébastien Dewaest
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Dewaest (Goal, '29), Cuesta (Goal, '6), Uronen (Sub - Lucumi) - Mæhle, Piotrowski (Sub - Heynen), Hrosovsky (Goal, pen '52), Paintsil - Samatta (Goal, '14 (Sub - Nygren)), Odey

While the game was quite even on possession, we were quite dominant with 21 shots to Waasland's 5. This is also reflecting on the scoreline. There was also a goal from 20 year old debutant Carlos Cuesta.
KRC Genk 4 - 1 Waasland-Beveren.png

Royal Antwerp 0 - 2 KRC Genk
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Dewaest, Cuesta (Goal, '20), Borges (Sub - Lucumi) - Mæhle (Sub - Hagi), Piotrowski, Hrosovsky (Sub - Berge), Uronen - Samatta (Goal, '27), Onuachu

A good win away from home plus a clean sheet, with Cuesta and Samatta picking up a goal each. This is young Cuesta's second goal in two games. Not too bad for the 20 year old Centre Back.
Royal Antwerp 0 - 2 KRC Genk.png

KRC Genk 4 - 1 KAS Eupen

Man of the Match: Mbwana Samatta
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Dewaest, Cuesta (Goal, '5), Uronen - Mæhle, Piotrowski, Hrosovsky (Sub - Berge, Goal '89), Bongonda (Sub - Borges) - Samatta (Goal, '3, '54), Onuachu (Sub - Odey)

Another dominant performance, and another goal for Cuesta. That's three goals in three games for the young defender now. Samatta bagged another two goals, picking up the man of the match award. With 28 shots it could've easily been more, but I am not one to find a fault in everything.
KRC Genk 4 - 1 KAS Eupen.png

Club Brugge 0 - 4 KRC Genk
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Dewaest, Cuesta, Uronen - Mæhle (Sub - Hagi), Piotrowski, Berge (Sub - Heynen), Bongonda (Sub - Borges) - Samatta (Goal, '10, '21), Onuachu (Goal, '40, '50)

An absolute brilliant display, and by far the best one yet. Demolishing Club Brugge 4-0 is a great feat on its own, but the fact that we managed to do it in their own backyard speaks volumes of this team. Barring any major injury crisis or dips in form, a title challenge is definitely on the cards now.
Club Brugge 0 - 4 KRC Genk.png

Fixtures - August.png

League Table - August:
League Table - August.png

Summary:
We managed to win every single game in August, scoring a whopping 14 goals in 4 games. KAA Gent are hot on our tail with 4 wins in 4 games as well. But if we keep going like this all season, there's no way anyone can stop us.

Player of the Month: Mbwana Samatta
Mbwana Samatta - August.png

Transfer Window Roundup:
We didn't bring anyone in, and we didn't sell anyone. All the transfers were done by the time I took over.

Summer.png

Champions League draw:

The group draw for the Champions League was not favourable, though we should be able to get a 3rd place and get Europa League access if we can get results against Krasnodar. Hopefully we'll be able to pull of an upset against the bigger teams in the group.
Champs League Group.png

Genk Logo Small.png

September:

Cup Draw:
Cup draw.png

League Match:

KRC Genk 0 - 0 SV Zulte Waregem
Man of the Match:
Sammy Bossut (Zulte Waregem)
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Wouters, Cuesta, Uronen - Mæhle, Heynen (Sub - Piotrowski), Berge, Bongonda (Sub - Borges) - Samatta, Onuachu (Sub -Odey)

This was a game we should've won, even with our highest shot count in one game this season with 33 shots. Unfortunately, their goalkeeper was on form for this game. On the bright side, we kept a clean sheet.
KRC Genk 0 - 0 Zulte Waregem.png

League Match:

KV Kortrijk 0 - 2 KRC Genk
Man of the Match: Dries Wouters
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Wouters, Cuesta, Uronen (Sub - Borges) - Mæhle (Sub - Hagi), Piotrowski, Berge, Bongonda - Samatta (Goal, '43, Sub - Odey, Goal '77), Onuachu

Another good win away from home, and another clean sheet. Our defense is rock solid, and our strikers are scoring. Onuachu isn't scoring as much as I'd like, but he makes space for Samatta to bang in the goals
KV Kortrijk 0 - 2 KRC Genk.png

Champions League Match:

FC Barcelona 2 - 0 KRC Genk
Man of the Match:
Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona)
4-4-2 DM
Coucke - De Norre, Wouters, Cuesta, Uronen (Sub - Borges) - Mæhle (
Red Card, '8), Piotrowski, Berge (Sub - Hrosovsky), Bongonda - Samatta, Onuachu (Sub - Hagi)

Honestly, I'm not too disheartened. We put up a good fight, and with the red card in the 8th minute, "only" losing 0-2 at the Camp Nou isn't the end of the world. On to Krasnodar next.
Barcelona 2 - 0 KRC Genk - August.png

League Match:

KRC Genk 2 - 0 KV Oostende
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Dewaest, Cuesta, Uronen - Mæhle (Sub - Hagi), Piotrowski (Sub - Heynen), Berge, Bongonda (Sub - Borges) - Samatta (Goal '8), Onuachu (Goal, '64)

Back to our winning ways. Two goals and a clean sheet isn't anything to complain about.
KRC Genk 2 - 0 KV Oostende.png

Cup Match:

Bocholter VV 0 - 8 KRC Genk
4-4-2
Vandevoordt - De Norre, Wouters (Goal, '2, '33), Cuesta, Borges - Mæhle (Sub - Hagi), Heynen, Hrosovsky, Bongonda ( Goal, '46, '47 - Sub - Uronen), Samatta (Goal, pen '26, '48, '56 - Sub - Nygren), Odey (Goal '8)

I didn't want to rest too many players, as I have a habit of resting players for cup matches and getting smacked. This time though, it seems I could've rested more players than I did. Nevertheless, we're on to the next round.
Bocholter VV 0 - 8 KRC Genk.png

League Match:

Charleroi SC 0 - 2 KRC Genk
Man of the Match: Sander Berge
4-4-2
Coucke - De Norre, Dewaest, Cuesta, Uronen - Mæhle (Goal, '63 - Sub - Hagi), Heynen (Sub - Piotrowski), Berge (Goal '86), Bongonda - Samatta, Onuachu (Sub - Odey)

This match wasn't as close as the scoreline suggests. We played them off the park, and got our three points.
Charleroi SC 0 - 2 KRC Genk.png

Fixtures.png

Month Summary:
Apart from the Barcelona game, this was a near perfect month. We didn't concede a single goal in the league and are now in the driving seat for the league. Hopefully the results in the Champions League can improve slightly.

Player of the Month: Casper De Norre
Casper De Norre - September.png

League table:

League Table.png

Champions League:
Group table - September.png

Attachments

• KRC Genk 2 - 0 KV Oostende.png
    KRC Genk 2 - 0 KV Oostende.png
    14 KB · Views: 60