The Legend of the Boxing Kangaroo - An Australian Story

Crazay

Reaction score
98953d97e4c6367c561cabebc4c2b14d2c05148d3f179c8ad2e6efec68befe496g.jpg
attachment.php

Osieck Steps Down!
attachment.php

36505543893d17f2e13a587ad3304155ff87a0321df5b4e0e59b6854881c2f9d6g.jpg

Earlier this morning, the 1st of June, the Football Federation of Australia held a press conference to announce the departure of Holger Osieck as manager of the Australian National Team. Osieck was not present at the press conference, and FFA Chairman Frank Lowy, along with CEO Ben Buckley addressed the media, stating Osieck had to leave for personal reasons.
Buckley stated, “Holger sends his apologies to the Australian public, stating that terminal illness had forced his resignation from football management. At this difficult time in his life, he wants to surround himself with his family. He wishes the Australian National Team all the best in the future.”

Lowy followed on, “as these circumstances are very sudden, the FFA has decided to take the appropriate action of appointing a new manager immediately. So without further ado, please welcome the new manager of the Australian Socceroos, Tony Vidmar!”

attachment.php
36cee1ce74a05f1e93b07cfb36dc91eccb8527cdecb7f5c95def1eb1ac2aae376g.jpg

Former Australian International and Rangers star, Tony Vidmar, entered the press conference to greet the waiting media. Buckley added “due to the sudden nature, the FFA has decided that an Australian should take over the reins. Tony has been involved in football management since his retirement from his professional days, managing the South Australian Institute of Sport, as well as Youth Assistant Manager at Adelaide United. We feel he is the man to take our national side into an illustrious future.”

“I am pleased to sit here as the new manager of the Australian National side, however, I wish it was not in such unfortunate circumstances. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.” Tony stated, smiling.

SBS
: “Tony, you played your career as a defender, are we going to expect a defensive style of play from your boys?”

TV: Although I did spend my days as a defender, I prefer to play attractive, attacking football, with the aim to give the fans as much enjoyment as possible.

The Australian:
“Will there be any changes to the captaincy of the side?”

TV: I can assure you, I have complete faith in Lucas Neill, and he will remain as captain.

The Australian Football Gazette:
“Tony, do you see this as a one up on your brother, and Assistant Manager, Aurelio? Will there be any banter and family gatherings about who is the better manager?”

TV: *chuckles* I don’t know about that, but I’m sure I’ll remind Aurelio of it from time to time.

Ben Buckley concluded the press conference at this point, stating it was important for Tony to speak with the players. His first match will be a friendly against Cyprus on June the 5th, held at Suncorp Stadium.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

90d86e6e6b467de76b341a1a115731700c83cc847268e27098fec31dc78706746g.jpg

Muscat spits the dummy again!
cca5e11892a36d769346989864db391af923ee038af187e45620e1aa0d24472d6g.jpg

Melbourne Glory captain, the infamous Kevin Muscat has been at it again. This time, after being told by newly appointed Australian manager, Tony Vidmar that he would not be featuring in the side to play Cyprus Muscat told Vidmar to **** off and that he was useless as a player, and worse as a manager. Rumours are circulating that Muscat had already been infuriated as he dropped his ice cream cone on the way into the venue. It is likely expected that Vidmar will drop Muscat from the Australian squad as soon as possible. Vidmar had this to say in the pre-match press conference:

“Maybe it is because I’m from Adelaide, but I do not deserve such disrespect from my players. I can assure Kevin will not be featuring in the National side while I am the manager.”

Vidmar added that the squad was quite excited ahead of the friendly, and that although it was a friendly, he was keen to get his managerial career underway with a solid win.

7b6d62298bfa831336bd5b3ed53cc895c25c3c78b1e5909fdecedf16095a745c6g.jpg

“Les Murray here with Craig Foster to give you the most up to date information about the happenings of the Australian side, and Fos, we’ve just received the Australian line-up, let’s have a look!”

86584_Australia.jpg

Subs: B. Jones, J. North, B. Emerton, S. Stefanutto, M. Jedinak, B. Holman, N. Rukavytsya, C. Valeri, N. Burns.

“And Fos, it appears Vidmar was not lying when he said he wanted to start his campaign with a win!”

“Indeed he wasn’t. An almost full strength side from Tony. How about this week’s featured player, Joshua Rose?”

“An interesting selection, but nice of Tony to show faith in those players who haven’t featured for their nation yet. It’s an exciting moment in any footballer’s life, and what better way to do so than in a friendly, where there is no pressure on them! He’s clearly impressed Tony whilst playing for his old side the Central Coast Mariners. We will have to wait and see how he goes. Kickoff is about to get underway Fos, what is your tip?”

“I think Australia will win comfortably, 3-0.”

“I’m with you. 2-0 Australia.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vidmar’s Managerial Debut a Success!
4a5815f53fbc075a334d3c8e5dab6ff7101f8da9096efdbea2936b76bdb9e83f6g.jpg

Australia 2 def. Cyprus 0
Goals: G. Okkas O.G. (80’), N. Rukavytsya (85’)
Tony Vidmar’s career as manager of Australia got off to a good start with a comfortable 2-0 win over Cyprus in Brisbane. The Socceroos looked in complete control from the start, however profligacy in front of goal meant they did not quite score as many as Vidmar would have liked. However, Vidmar seemed happy enough in the post game press conference.

The Age: “Tony, you got the win you were looking for today, but surely you would have liked to have won by a bigger margin?”

TV: 2-0 was a comfortable win. Sure, we may have left it a little bit late, but it was only a friendly. I knew the result would take care of itself. I had faith in the lads.

Sydney Morning Herald: “What did you think of Nikita’s strike in the 85th minute?”

TV: An incredible goal. First time volley, into the top corner. Top notch goal.

SMH: “Will he be getting more game time now?”

TV: He is definitely amongst the selection candidates, but it is quite a strong forward line up, with Tim and Scott already there. However, if he keeps performing like he did, it is definitely a possibility.

MOTM: Nikita Rukavytsya 7.4 rating

e6d1225e8200ce5b918d9ac8c1f6a9ee6ef36c9c946f2f463ace7651342e3b466g.jpg

Featured Player: Joshua Rose 7.3 rating
e3d5498910c1d23efb4662040c711ed8a72f56274c7cf03d25e9f214eb3e1fa06g.jpg

“Well Fos, what did you think of the game today?”

“Les, I thought Australia dominated the game, however they looked nonthreatening forward of midfield. It is definitely something that Tony will need to address, if he wants to keep his promise to the fans.”

“I agree. What did you think of Rukavytsya and Rose today?”

“Well, Nikita’s goal was a joy to behold, and one that will stay in the highlight reel for some time to come. As for Josh, I thought his performance was solid today, and Tony should be very happy with what he saw.”

YouTube - Australia vs Cyprus - Rukavytsya Goal 85th minute

“Well that’s all we have time for today folks! Join us again for the next installment of SBS’s The World Game.”

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

attachment.php

Vidmar is going already?

Tony Vidmar has been offered the job as gaffer of Ghana it has been rumoured this morning. The 39-year-old former Australian international was appointed manager of the Australian side just 5 days ago, following the retirement of Holger Osieck. An insider close to Vidmar claims that Tony was offered the Ghanaian job just one day after Australia’s comfortable 2-0 win over Cyprus. Is the rumour true? And will Tony be leaving his national heritage behind just days after being appointed manager. Only time will tell.

795d081d7d4c1b6762dd5844eb76bfadafef3f33022d94fe5e2b0dda41713b466g.jpg

Grant in Brisbane on holidays?

fc48c8470327fbc44883da8e21240afaadbec75d4ab12a6cf488fa58d1295a576g.jpg

West Ham boss Avram Grant was spotted at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday overlooking the Australian game against Cyprus. It is believed that Grant was there to take a closer look at Australian Vice-Captain Harry Kewell, who he is rumoured to be interested in signing. However, Grant denied such nonsense, claiming he just wanted to work on his tan a little more, and heard the sun was better in Australia.

Rose in Dreamland

Australian debutant Joshua Rose has spoken to the media saying he is ‘in dreamland’ and cannot heap enough praise on national manager Tony Vidmar. Rose began his international career on Saturday, putting in a good performance. Meanwhile, Nikita Rukavytsya has heralded Vidmar, heaping praise on the manager and thanking him for showing confidence in him. The 22-year-old scored a wonder strike in Australia’s 2-0 win over Cyprus.

New World Rankings

After just one friendly, Tony Vidmar has managed to push his Australian side up four spots in the FIFA World Rankings to number 20 in the world. Spain held on to the top spot, whilst Brunei were the most improved climbing 28 spots to rank 157th in the world. In other news, Kevin Muscat has been diagnosed with a serious virus, ruling him out of selection for up to 2 weeks. When asked about this, Tony Vidmar just laughed stating, “Yeah, like he was going to be selected anyway.” The FFA seems quietly pleased with Vidmar’s attitude towards Muscat, believing he is finally getting what he deserves. In other injury news, goalkeeper Adam Federici has been ruled out for up to 3 weeks with a hamstring injury, however this is unlikely to have an impact on Australia’s upcoming friendly with Slovenia.

Last edited:
Yay, an Aussie story. Will follow for sure :)
Thanks mate! Thought it needed to be done! :)

Updates soon!

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

attachment.php

Vidmar names squad of 26
Australian manager Tony Vidmar has this morning announced his squad of 26 to play against Slovenia on the 11th of August. Vidmar said he felt confident in the squad and hoped the players would impress him, as they vie to cement their spot in the national side. The squad is as follows:

Goalkeepers:
Mark Schwarzer
Eugene Galekovic
Brad Jones (+)

Defenders:
Ersan Adem Gulum
Jonathan McKain
Lucas Neill
Jade North
Joshua Rose
Matthew Spiranovic
Shane Stefanutto
Luke Wilkshere
David Carney

Midfielders:
Mark Bresciano
Nathan Burns
Tim Cahill
Scott Chipperfield
Jason Culina
Brett Emerton
Vincenzo Grella
Brett Holman
Mile Jedinak
James Troisi

Strikers:
Bruce Djite
Robbie Kruse
Scott McDonald
Nikita Rukavytsya

Unsurprisingly, Kevin Muscat was dropped from the squad following his outrage at Vidmar prior to the victory over Cyprus. Other notable absentees include Harry Kewell, who is currently being treated for a fractured wrist, and is likely to miss another 4 to 5 weeks. The Australian Vice-Captain had recently been transferred from Galatasary to Atletico Madrid, for a fee rumoured to be around 3million pounds. Adam Federici also missed out through injury.
In other news, Vidmar was asked by a nosy reporter about his rumoured job offer to be manager of Ghana.

The Herald Sun:
“Tony, it was rumoured a while back that you were offered the position as manager of Ghana. Could you validate such a claim for us now?”

TV: Well, I did indeed hear of this rumour and I can comfortably say that although I was indeed offered the position as manager of Ghana, I declined the role almost instantly. My allegiance lies to my homeland, and hopefully we can put in a good showing against Slovenia in the coming days.

THS:
“Are you in talks with any other nations about arranging a friendly match to keep your squad unified?”

TV: Well, we are always looking to organise some matches. We have spoken to various nations, however nothing has been formalised at this point in time.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Socceroos set to take on Slovenia
In just his second match as manager, Tony Vidmar is preparing to take on Slovenia at the Sportni park Stozice. Craig Foster and Les Murray here to guide you through the game.

“Now Fos, it’s a slightly different team that Vidmar is fielding today in comparison to the side that defeated Cyprus 2-0, let’s have a look at the line-up.”

86627_Australia.jpg

Subs: M. Schwarzer, J. North, M. Bresciano, R. Kruse, M. Jedinak, B. Holman, N. Rukavytsya, N. Burns, M. Spiranovic
“What do you think Fos?”

“I like the fact Vidmar is experimenting a little bit more. He has kept Joshua Rose in the line-up, he impressed me in the Cyprus game. I also like David Carney playing as a winger, replacing the injured Harry Kewell, he brings a bit of versatility, and can play in the defence if necessary.”

“Indeed. What do you think of Galekovic getting a game?”

“Well he has been in fine form for Adelaide United, so considering it’s a friendly, I don’t mind the choice.”

“Featured player for this match?”

“Les, it has to be Tim Cahill for me. He has been in fine form in Everton’s preseason friendlies, scoring 2 goals in 2 games, so I’m expecting to see more of the same.”

42466954f5df44c59c5f856bb22e309bb194c17f0e863b0f4303598879d409396g.jpg

“And your prediction Fos?”

“I think it will be a close one, 1-1 draw.”

“I’m going to have to disagree and go 2-1 Australia.”

Slovenia come from behind to steal it late!

f21662213a40b2b1a9c08ea2c72be436da166dc2386b68a59c911f93acf4e0776g.jpg

Australia 1 def. by Slovenia 2
Goals: J. McKain (12’), T. Matavz (60’, 87’)
After taking the lead early on through centre half Jonathan McKain, Australia conceded twice to go down 2-1 to Slovenia. A particularly lacklustre performance from the Australian side saw them fall to their first defeat under Tony Vidmar. A particularly poor performance from Lucas Neill and Joshua Rose at the back raises questions over the defensive skills of the side. However, the headaches did not end there for Vidmar. Once again, Australia struggled in front of goal, failing to score from their starting strikers. Nikita Rukavytsya had a chance after coming on as a substitute but put it wide.

The Australian: “Tony, a disappointing performance from the lads to day, or is it something you can build on?”

TV: Yes, it is a disappointing performance, but at the same time, I think there is a lot we can take from the game. We can keep improving, working on our problem areas and get ourselves right.

SBS: “What did you think of Joshua Rose’s performance tonight? Coming off the back of a solid performance against Cyprus?”

TV: Josh didn’t have the best of games tonight, but it was only his second match for the country, and he still probably had some of those nerves. Everyone has a bad game every now and again. I mean, look at Lucas, he had a poor game tonight and he has been played for Australia many times. I’ve been there, and I know how it feels, but I have faith that he will bounce back.

The Age: “How do you expect the squad to bounce back?”

TV: We are going to have to. To be honest, I expect a lot more of the leadership group. If we want to win games as a nation, I need players such as Tim, and Lucas, to step up to the plate on a consistent basis.

MOTM: Tim Matavz 8.8 Rating
c20db8ce0834619a20d2309f72d92d11449bc9f068125574816e5b5fd61307646g.jpg

Featured Player: Tim Cahill 6.8 Rating
78e004381d6313be9f205699bd8d587cfa0bd3e083f749fcebbbd89377afae4f6g.jpg

“So Australia put in a lacklustre performance tonight, holding possession, but being unable to score in front of goal. Fos, what did you think of Cahill’s performance tonight?”

“Les, it wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t spectacular. As Tony said, if Australia want to win on a consistent basis, he needs players like Tim to stand up, and perform consistently.”

“This is true. Unfortunately for the Socceroos, this was not the case tonight, and Vidmar and his team will have to make the long trip back to Australia empty handed.”

“On behalf of Les Murray, I’m Craig Foster and that’s all for today from Slovenia, catch us next time on The World Game.”

Cheers lads. Updates to come soon!

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

attachment.php

Kruse and McKain meet the Media
Australian Internationals, Robbie Kruse and Jonathan McKain, addressed the media this afternoon to make comment on the recent 2-1 loss to Slovenia. Kruse outlined his disappointment at the result, but wished to thank manager Vidmar for the opportunity to represent Australia.

“It’s a dream come true really. Growing up, I always hoped that one day I would get the opportunity to play for my country, and now this has happened. I hope that in the future I can continue to earn International caps, and do my country proud!”

Meanwhile, McKain spoke of his happiness at being able to get off the mark for his country.

“(Laughing) It was an ugly goal, I’m not going to lie, but a goal is a goal. Hopefully the strikers can learn a bit from it ey?”

In other news regarding Australia, Mark Bresciano has been ruled out for a week with the flu. Bresciano was a recent signing for Serie A side, S.S. Lazio, with Bresciano previously playing his football at Palermo. The Australian camp will play its next friendly on the 3rd of September against Switzerland.

Meanwhile, in the world rankings, Australia have dropped down 2 spots to 22
nd, with Russia and the United States leapfrogging them. Spain retain the number one rank, whilst Tajikistan jumped 27 places to rank 120.

Australian Squad of 26 Announced!
Tony Vidmar has today announced his second 26 man squad for Australia’s two upcoming friendlies against Switzerland and Poland. The squad is relatively unchanged, and includes no major surprises. Leeds United Midfielder, Neil Kilkenny, has looked in fine form during the clubs preseason, bagging 1 goal and 2 assists in 3 starts for the club, and Vidmar has brought him into the squad as a replacement for the injured Jason Culina.

Goalkeepers:
Mark Schwarzer
Eugene Galekovic
Brad Jones
Defenders:
Ersan Adem Gulum
Jonathan McKain
Lucas Neill
Jade North
Joshua Rose
Matthew Spiranovic
Shane Stefanutto
Luke Wilkshere
David Carney
Midfielders:
Mark Bresciano
Nathan Burns
Tim Cahill
Scott Chipperfield
Neil Kilkenny

Brett Emerton
Vincenzo Grella
Brett Holman
Mile Jedinak
James Troisi
Strikers:
Bruce Djite
Robbie Kruse
Scott McDonald
Nikita Rukavytsya

The two friendly matches are to be played on the 3rd and 7th of September. Vidmar will be looking to build confidence and to experiment from the two games.

Injury Worries for Australia Boss
Tony Vidmar has last night called up Dortmund youngster Mitchell Langerak into his squad of 26 to play Switzerland and Poland in the coming days. Langerak, 22, had played just one match for Dortmund so far this campaign, keeping a clean sheet in that particular match. Vidmar spoke to the media this morning, saying “Mitchell looks a very promising talent for Australia, and with Brad out through injury, I saw it as an opportune time to give the youngster a go.” Liverpool backup, Brad Jones, had been ruled out through a sprained wrist.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:49 PM ----------

Socceroos to spar with Switzerland

“That’s right ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The World Game’s live coverage of today’s international friendly between Australia and Switzerland, held at the AFG Arena. Les Murray here with Craig Foster to guide you through it.”

“Yes indeed Les, what are we expecting from Vidmar and the boys today? A confident win? Or just a run out and a chance to experiment?”

“Well Switzerland are no pushovers, ranked 23rd in the world, just one spot below Australia, so I think Vidmar will be pushing his boys to try and get the win. Do you think we will see any surprises in the team Fos?”

“I’m curious to see if young Mitch Langerak will get a game, however, I think Tony will show faith in Eugene and keep him in goals. He knows he can rely on Mark Schwarzer if necessary, however he is 37 and Vidmar is doing the right thing by looking to the youth.”

“Well we have just received the Australian line-up and no real surprises for anyone here.”
86957_Australia.jpg

Subs: M. Schwarzer, J. North, B. Emerton, R. Kruse, M. Jedinak, B. Holman, N. Rukavytsya, N. Burns, M. Spiranovic

“So Fos, young Mitch Langerak didn’t get a cap today, your thoughts?”

“I like the fact that Tony is showing faith in Eugene, giving him another opportunity. I think Mitch will definitely get a chance over the coming few years, he is only 22 and has plenty of time to develop.”

“Featured player?”

“Gotta draw attention to Mark Bresciano. He has been in fine form for Lazio, bagging 1 goal and 2 assists in his 2 starts so far. If they can get a big game out of him, I think Australia might be able to ****** a confidence boosting win.”

e5d6e4a478a8527067b5062c24b4a59a0110dccbbf6140a906629386164d83a36g.jpg

“Your tip Fos?”

“Australia, 2-1”

“I think the home side might just have enough about them to hold off Australia. Switzerland, 1-0.”

------------------------------------------------

Australia and Switzerland Draw in thrilling conclusion!
5cc37139961eeafa3c5022e217afc25e290f5a5f479a3d4f26f257f11d4bc59f6g.jpg

Australia 2 drew Switzerland 2
Goals: Gavranovic (27’), McDonald (45+2’, 68’), Frei (90’)

Vidmar is likely to be happy with the showing of Australian team tonight. After conceding first, the team rallied and managed to level through Scott McDonald on the half-time whistle. Mark Bresciano left the game shortly after half-time after taking a knock and a tactical adjustment from Vidmar saw the Socceroos catch Switzerland on the break, to go up 2-1. However, it was not to be, with Alexander Frei snatching a late equaliser to end a great game with a thrilling conclusion. Vidmar will have many positives to take from this game, such as the performance of Scott McDonald, but also of Neil Kilkenny who looked comfortable playing in the centre of midfield. However, Tim Cahill once again failed to score and did not look particularly threatening at any point. Vidmar had this to say in the post game press conference:

The Herald Sun: “Tony, what did you think of Scott McDonald’s performance today?”

TV: I thought it was outstanding. He contributed with two goals and looked comfortable playing that poaching role. I hope to see more of the same.

The Australian: “Neil Kilkenny made some wonderful passes today, how did you rate his game?”

TV: Neil definitely impressed me today. He looked comfortable on the ball, and his work rate was tremendous. He has definitely thrown down the challenge for Jason to regain his spot in the side.

SBS: “Young Mitch Langerak, will he get a cap sooner or later?”

TV: It is definitely in my plans.

MOTM: Scott McDonald 8.8 Rating

81cb452c70ce9502a07b957581dd2b8432c853d4e46db89da9b4eaf0614a8c7c6g.jpg

Featured Player: Mark Bresciano 6.8 Rating

e5d6e4a478a8527067b5062c24b4a59a0110dccbbf6140a906629386164d83a36g.jpg

“Well Fos, what did you think of the Socceroos’ performance tonight?”

“Les, I think Tony will sleep comfortably tonight. They finally put to rest their fears of not being able to score, and the team looks to be starting to blend. Hopefully now, we can avoid conceding late in the game and some wins can be secured.”

“Thanks Fos, that’s all we have time for here at the AFG Arena, final score, Australia 2, Switzerland 2.”

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Australia pumped ahead of Poland
“Hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome to another exciting International football friendly between Australia and Poland at the Stadion Miejski. My name is Les Murray, and alongside me is Craig Foster and we are going to bring you the most up-to-date coverage of the Australian national side.”

“Thanks Les and today’s game looks to be an exciting encounter. Vidmar’s men will be looking to build upon their good showing against Switzerland just days ago. A few updates prior to the game, James Troisi has been ruled out through injury. He twisted his ankle in training just two days ago and will be unable to take part. In other news, we posted a FaceBook question asking you all, “Should Kevin Muscat get another opportunity in the Australian side?” Below are some of the responses:”

John Smith: Muscat is a ******. Get the feral ******* out of my country!

Lisa Jones: I think Kevin deserves another chance, as long as he provides Tony with the respect he deserves.

Kevin Muscat: I think Kevin is the greatest player in the world, and there should be no questions about whether or not he should be playing in the squad. Anyone who thinks otherwise can go and get f*****.

“Some interesting responses there Fos. We have just received the line-up, let’s have a look!”

86963_Australia.jpg

Subs: M. Schwarzer, J. North, B. Emerton, M. Bresciano, M. Jedinak, B. Holman, N. Rukavytsya, N. Burns, M. Spiranovic
“So Fos, your thoughts?

“Pretty well as I expected. Mark Bresciano moved to the bench after his knock from the Switzerland game, Robbie Kruse is a suitable replacement and a promising talent. I also like the inclusion of Mitchell Langerak in goals. I think he is a wonderful prospect for Australia and has a chance to prove so today.

“Featured player Fos?”

“Going to have to feature Neil Kilkenny. He gave a solid performance in the game against Switzerland, and hopefully he can repeat that today.

“And lastly, your prediction Fos?”

“3-0 Australia.”

“Interesting, interesting, I’m gonna go a more reserved 2-1 Australia.”

Poland secure win in a match they dominated!
ceba440b9221ff79ca683dc02079455198867cc277514db379817e576e3df5f66g.jpg

Australia 1 def. by Poland 2
Goals: Carney (33’), Roger (60’), Mierzejewski (73’)

Tony Vidmar will have no right to be happy with his side after their dismal performance against Poland. The Socceroos struggled all night long, with Poland posting 10 shots before the Aussies could even manage one. Again, the counter-attacking style of football proved necessary, and David Carney managed to get on the end of a long ball forward from Lucas Neill to give Australia an early lead. However, the Polish dominance of possession provided them with many more scoring opportunities and eventually they secured a deserved win. Once again, Tim Cahill failed to trouble the opposition defence, and just appears out of sorts. Scott McDonald was unable to back up his sterling performance from the previous week. Vidmar appeared visibly frustrated at the post game press conference:

The Australian: “Tony, what are your thoughts to the tactical side of the game? You said from the outset you wanted to play aggressive attacking football, will you be rethinking this?

TV: Tonight’s performance frustrated me. Once again, our strikers just could not seem to score. We seem to be best suited to playing counter-attacking football, but that is not the style I particularly want to play. We will see how we go in the future, but I may be experimenting with tactics in the coming games.

SBS: “When is your next friendly and who is it against?”

TV: We have been in contact with Chile, and are pleased to announce a friendly will be played on Saturday the 9th of October.

4-4-2 Magazine: “What did you think of Lucas Neill’s performance tonight?”

TV: We need to see a lot more of the same from him. It was a good, solid showing, and he is a vital part to our team.

MOTM: Lucas Neill 7.5 Rating

65cb8c16b962ff42d88ed5c87a8c1333e44c3676b33228e55eae1cab1de227ac6g.jpg

Featured Player: Neil Kilkenny 6.8 Rating

27129e9605668d46274587ba5532317d0e6cd087145fbbddfdf827b8e292a59c6g.jpg

“Les, a poor performance from the Socceroos really. They just could not seem to challenge the Polish side. Poor finishing from their strikers and not enough possession to justify a victory in midfield. How do we expect them to bounce back?”

“Fos, I think Tony will have to think long and hard about both the tactics and the starting 11 after tonight’s performance. It was dismal.”

“Agreed. I thought Lucas Neill looked solid at the back and was deserving of the Man of the Match award. However, Neil Kilkenny did not look quite as comfortable on such a narrow pitch. It congested things for him, and his performance reflected it.”

“But he is relatively young Fos, and still learning. He is definitely a future prospect for Australia.”

“Final score here ladies and gentleman, Australia 1, Poland 2.”

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

b26d3681d17901cc9fa4331188e42090278b1ee60ca46fdd134aae1036566ffa6g.jpg

Vidmar appoints Adriaanse as manager of the Under 19s
This morning it was announced by Vidmar and FFA Chairman Frank Lowy, that Co Adriaanse had been appointed manager of the Australia Under 19s. Vidmar stated it was an important move in order to cement the future of Australian Football. Adriaanse has a wealth of tactical knowledge, and is particularly skilled in judging the ability of younger players.

Vidmar Names Squad to face Chile
In other news today, Australian manager Tony Vidmar has named his 26 man squad that are set to face Chile on October 9th. The squad sees a few interesting changes. Notably, Robbie Kruse, David Carney and James Troisi will miss out through injury. Star names Harry Kewell and Carl Valeri have been recalled to the side, whilst Dario Vidosic also earned a call up.

Goalkeepers:
Mark Schwarzer
Eugene Galekovic
Mitchell Langerak
Defenders:
Ersan Adem Gulum
Jonathan McKain
Lucas Neill
Jade North
Joshua Rose
Matthew Spiranovic
Shane Stefanutto
Luke Wilkshere

Midfielders:
Mark Bresciano
Nathan Burns
Tim Cahill
Scott Chipperfield
Neil Kilkenny
Brett Emerton
Vincenzo Grella
Brett Holman
Mile Jedinak
Harry Kewell
Carl Valeri
Dario Vidosic
Strikers:
Bruce Djite
Scott McDonald
Nikita Rukavytsya

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

Socceroos set to clash with Chile!
“Hello and welcome to yet another International friendly, between Australia and Chile, live from Etihad Stadium in Australia. Les Murray here with Craig Foster, broadcasting all around the globe for tonight’s match.”

“Yes Les and it looks set to be an interesting encounter between two strong sides. Tony Vidmar’s men haven’t been in the best of form, losing to Poland and drawing with Switzerland, and it will be interesting to see how they go tonight.”

“We’ve just received the line-up, so let’s have a peek!”

87006_Australia.jpg

Subs: M. Langerak, J. Rose, B. Emerton, M. Bresciano, V. Grella, B. Holman, N. Rukavytsya, N. Burns, M. Spiranovic
“So all three call ups get to start today Fos. Your thoughts?”

“Well, with Carney out injured, I think Kewell was an obvious inclusion. Valeri has looked in good touch in his club matches and whilst he hasn’t really featured for Nurnberg, Dario Vidosic is a promising prospect and deserves a chance to prove himself, with Melbourne youngster Robbie Kruse out of the side. I also think by bringing Schwarzer back in, Vidmar is obviously looking to push for a win in this game.”

“And Shane Stefanutto?”

“He has been in good form for Brisbane in the A-League, so hopefully his performances can carry over.”

“Featured player?”

“Gotta go with Harry Kewell. He hasn’t been in the side for the past few matches, and they have really struggled offensively. Hopefully his inclusion can push Australia forward.”

“And lastly your tip Fos?”

“I think Chile will have too much class for Australia today, 3-1 to the visitors.”

“I agree, except I’m going 2-1 to Chile!”

great update mate , however i think you should start and use a different tactic it doesent look to be working

great update mate , however i think you should start and use a different tactic it doesent look to be working

Great minds think alike....update shortly

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Chile claim victory in a dull encounter!
76f6457c08db92d6b42b7ee8f037d92533693fe6fde971b66fb54ef25fcc603a6g.jpg

Australia 0 def. by Chile 1
Goals: Vidal pen (45+2’)
Red Cards: Contreras (80’), Kilkenny (88’)

A rather boring encounter this evening saw Chile emerge victorious. A poor challenge from Australian centre-half Jonathan McKain gifted Chile the lead on the stroke of half-time and it remained that way. From Tony Vidmar’s perspective, both Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill struggled again, however, Dario Vidosic played well, along with Kilkenny. The two midfielders looked consistently threatening. Mark Schwarzer played a good game in goals, keeping Australia in the hunt. Vidmar was visibly frustrated after the game, evident in his refusal to speak with the media. His brother, and assistant manager, Aurelio Vidmar, attended in his place.

MOTM: Claudio Bravo 8.4 Rating
dce79699d1f3818ff9e4c97f6ad3888649e1b1e9d802ce1e4dba7c587e10aa146g.jpg

Featured Player: Harry Kewell 6.3 Rating
6382854308199a58543c514d03a138238c2d4769ad191fc57a04e41b27fbbfc86g.jpg

Vidmar will be looking for a better performance in Australia’s next friendly, which is yet to be announced. It may also be time that Vidmar experimented with his tactics, as the fans are beginning to become annoyed by the consistent failures.

Well their keep got MoM, so you must've gotten lots of chances to score

Good luck in turning around your inconsistent form