mccollio09

Reaction score
8-| THE PATRIOT CHALLENGE 8-|

Introduction:

So here's a challenge that I set myself for a while, and I thought I'd share it with you. Take a look at the screenshots... Got it? Figured it out? Yup that's it, win the Premier League using all English players. Easier said than done.

Disclaimer: I am not a BNP member nor am I trying to encourage xenophobism - (I do infact, live abroad), I am just a big fan of trying to bring through home grown players in an attempt to make our useless national team worthy of winning a world cup by giving more English players a chance.

Rules:
  • Choose any of the 20 English Premier League teams and make yourself manager. I completed this on 11.3 originally but for Marshall's update/FM 12 when it comes out, I don't see why this still cannot be applied.
  • Any future purchases MUST be of English nationality - just to be clear, this means that the player must always have an English flag next to them - Scottish, Irish, Welsh players CANNOT be purchased. Loans deals are of course permitted, but once again only for English players.
  • Any player not of English nationality can never play a single professional game for your team - they have to either be sold or loaned out. Any player that cannot be sold must be dropped to the reserves.
  • If you are unfortunate enough to buy an 'English' player who later opts to play for another country, they must be dropped and sold (this happened to me unfornately with Tom Cairney)
  • Downloadable tactics from this site can be used, although I made my own.
  • Foreign coaches ARE allowed
  • You can select the season expection you feel is obtainable, though given the difficulty in the first season, I would advise the minimum.
Choosing your team:

What makes this challenge rather unique, is that it turns the league set up on it's head. You could go for Man United, knowing that with all their new signings, there are a fair number of English players already on their books. However, can you be really be sure that you will be able to win the title at the first time of asking (inevitably getting the sack and having no time to build your team otherwise?).

The first season should realistically just be about survival and trying to develop your squad for the future when you can really mount a challenge (it took me 5 seasons before I got it with Sunderland, 4 should be achievable).

Think about: Current English players in your team, Budget, First season expectations, how much money you can raise via sales, youth set up and training facilities.

Some team guides and grade difficulty:

If anyone has an idea for points scoring then I'm all ears, but the challenge is more in seeing who can actually win the title.

I've calculated these grades out of twenty (with 20 being the hardest) and based on a combination of current squads, budgets and season expectations to gauge the level of difficulty for each team. I believe that this challenge should be fun for all levels of FM manager as some squads are clearly more geared towards beginners and others for experts.

Arsenal:
First team players: Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, Kieran Gibbs, Sanchez Watt, Craig Eastmond
Worthy mentions from reserves: Henri Lansbury, Carl Jenkinson, Kyle Bartley, Emmanuel Frimpong, Gavin Hoyte, Rhys Murphy, Luke Freeman
Hot Prospects from youth: Alex Chamberlain
Budget: €40m
Season expectations: Euro qualification through league finish (Media Prediction - 4th)

Résumé: Arsenal, perhaps unsurprisingly, are a tough cookie given that they are one of the most foreign teams in the league. In Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere however, they have two of the best British players out there as well as a wealth of future stars in the ranks. A healthy budget of €40m + sales of assets should be a big help, but lets face it, for the mass investment you need to get into Europe, you're going to need it.

Grade difficulty:
10/20

Aston Villa:
First team players: Stephen Warnock, Emile Heskey, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Darren Bent, Jermaine Jenas (loan), Fabian Delph, Nathan Delfouneso, Marc Albrighton
Worthy mentions from reserves: Gary Gardner
Budget: €15m
Season Expectations: Top half finish

Résumé: Without Downing and Young, this challenge has been just that bit harder than it was on 11.3. Nonetheless, they possess plenty of speed in their team with the likes of Delph, Delfouneso, Gabby and Darren Bent in the team, should be regarded as one of the easiest to survive the first season and push on for the title.

Grade difficulty: 1/20

Bolton:
First team players: Paul Robinson, Zat Knight, Gary Cahill, Nigel Reo-Coker, Chris Eagles, Robbie Blake, Tyrone Mears, Kevin Davies, Darren Pratley, David Wheater, Mark Davies
Worthy mentions from reserves: Fabrice Muamba, Sean Davis
Budget: €8m
Season Expections: Mid Table finish

Résumé: Well, English players of premiership standard are in abundance, so fortunately not much change is needed to get a first 11 together. The good news is that with a couple of transfers, a mid table finish should be well within reach. The bad news - some of the best players aren't exactly spring chickens, could prove difficult to make that next step up to challenge for the title in the following seasons and with only €8m available, it isn't going to happen straight away.

Grade difficulty: 8/20

If the thread picks up in popularity, I will add more quick guides as time goes on, I'll tell you right now though that managing the newly promoted teams (perhaps with the exception of QPR) and Blackburn, in this challenge and under these conditions will be next to impossible.

Wouldn't it be just great if someone had a list ready of English future wonderkids? That would help so much... Ah wait - what if I click here

Thought I'd give the thread a little bump with a comment, someone opened a thread about trying this and found it pretty difficult getting a decent squad together. Anyone else had a try yet? Curious to find out if anyone has managed it.

it is quite simple when using some dutch or french team