• Thread starter Thread starter James268
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 6K

James268

Reaction score
16i4o5.png

What is the Pentagon Challenge?

The Pentagon Challenge is considered by many to be one of the hardest challenges to undertake in the game. The main aim of the challenge is to win the Champions League or equivalent on each continent. The challenge is made more difficult by the fact that you must start unemployed with Sunday league reputation
My Challenge

To start I loaded South Africa, South Korea, China and Brazil as the only playable nations and put most other major nations as view only .

Out of all the jobs available 3 caught my eye:

Jomo Cosmos- They were relegated to the second tier of South African Football in the previous season so had a reasonable amount of money and were predicted to finish in first place which is always nice

Black Leopards- They are in the South African premiership which could take a year or two out my challenge

Gangneung City- At the start of the save (June 2012) they sit 3rd in the N-League (second division) in South Korea because of their season starting in January

So I applied for all 3...

and got the job at Gangneung
My third choice but hey, third in the league but I looked the Korean system and there are playoffs between the top six teams in the league at the end of the season to see who goes up, So league position doesn't matter as much as I had thought when I took the job

Gangneung City
Gangneung-City.png

They were formed in 1999

They have very little history with there only success being the N-league title in 2009

The Club itself has very poor facilities with fairly basic training facilities, no junior coaching and no youth facilities

The club rent a 33000 all seater stadium but with only 459 season ticket holders we rarely get attendances above 1000 people but on the plus side the average ticket costs only £2 and a season ticket costs £30.

The next update will include transfers and results from the month of June

*Acheivements by Season*

Korean N league Title (2012)
K League Title (2013)

Last edited:
I always enjoy reading peoples try on the great Pentagon Challenge. And I haven't really seen anyone starting in Korea, so I'll surely be following.

Yeah everyone seems to be starting in Africa, thought I'd change it up a bit

The Transfers

I noticed from the intial team repert that we were lacking depth and quality at right back, up front, in goals and in the middle of the park, so I brought in 9 players.
View attachment 294693View attachment 294696View attachment 294697View attachment 294698View attachment 294707View attachment 294708View attachment 294709View attachment 294710View attachment 294711

Happy with all the signings. Should be enough to push on for promotion later in the season
Would have liked to have got a better keeper but he'll do for now

June 2012

Great start to my career

Unfortunately I think the gap at the top is to big to close

we close the gap to second place goyang kookmin bank to 4 points

Daejeon KHNP 1-3 Gangneung City
Lee Jung Woon (8,86)
Kim Jung Hyun (58)

Great result even though we were against lesser opposition.
Especially pleased as away results were poor before I came in.

Gangneung City 2-0 Incheon Korail
Lee Jung Woon (pen 63)
Kim Tae Jin (69)

First home game in charge played out in front of 1,315 fans.
Very pleased with the performance totally dominated them from start to finish

Player of the month
View attachment 294720
Lee Jung Woon

Won the Daejeon game almost by himself and has scored 3 in 2 this month

Last edited:
August 2012

First defeat for Gangneung under my charge

100% month though apart from that

Goyang Kookmin Bank 2-0 Gangneung City

Really disapointing performance here totally outplayed

Gangneung City 2-1 Changwon City
Kim Tae Jin (71)
Lee Jung Woon (84)

Played awful first half, but gave the boys a boot up the **** at half time and we came back to win with 2 late goals

Cheonan City 2-3 Gangneung City
Song Jae Han (14)
Lee Jung Woon (28)
Kim Jung Hyun (77)

We went behind early doors but fought back to gain a 3-1 lead. They scored again late on but we never looked like loosing

Gangneung City 3-0 Chingju Hummel
Song Jae Han (72)
Kim Tae Jin (73)
Lee Jung Woon (90+1)

Another late-ish show. I was really pleased with performance though as we totally dominated them throughout

Player of the month
View attachment 294824
Kim Tae Jin

Was tempted to give it to Lee Jung Woon again but decided to give to Kim Tae Jin after his 2 goals and a few top quality performances

The Table
View attachment 294825

September 2012

8 goal thriller against league leaders Ulsan HMD

Playoff place secured

Ulsan HMD 5-3 Gangneung City

Lee Jung Woon (37)
Thiago Santos (OG 73)
Song Jae Han (89)
Absolutely appaling defending here against the league leaders. Our first half performance let us down, with the score being 3-1 at half time we didn't really give ourselves a chance. The second half was top notch apart from 1 stupid error that led to their 5th goal

Gangneung City
2-1Yongin City
Kim Jin Man (28)
Kim Jung Hyun (48)
Solid win against the bottom side. Dominated from start to finish

Gangneung City
2-0 Mokpo
Kim Jung Ho (56)
Kim Tae Jin (90+1)
Game was 50/50 really but we were just more clincal than them

Player of the Month
View attachment 294843
Kim Tae Jin
This man has been on fire lately, assist machine and chipping in with a few goals as well

League table
View attachment 294845

October 2012

100% this month

Defence still rocky

Star Striker Song Jae Han Injured

Kimhae 2-4 Gangneung City
Kim Tae Jin (4, 45+2)
Song Jae Han (73)
Lee Jung Woon (88)

Defence is still a bit leaky but I'll put that down to me playing a half star centre back due to suspensions.

Gangneung City 3-2 Suwon City
Song Jae Han (34)
Lee Jung Woon (57, 60)

Phew! They gave us a real scare here despite us going 1 up they scored either side of half time to put us behind but Lee Jung Woon stood up to the task set to us and scored 2 goals in 3 minutes

Ansan H FC 1-2 Gangneung City
Lee Jung Woon (14)
Song Soon Bo (20)

Contrary to my beliefs we can start well. They had me biting my nails late on as they scored with 15 minutes to go and were looking threatning

Gangneung City 2-0 Busan TC
Han Dong Hyuk (77)
Kim Tae Jin (90+2)

Unfortuneately Song Jae Han got injured in this game unfortuneately really disapointed as he was becoming one of our best players, His replacement though, Han Dong Hyuk, contributied to another late show with a goal.

Brilliant way to end the season with 6 wins on the bounce. On to the Playoffs now!

Player of the Month

View attachment 295048
Song Jae Han

Been in top form this month with a few goals and assists to his name really disapointed to lose him just before the playoffs

The Final League Table
View attachment 295049

If you've heard of Mike from FMCV, you'll know you can't be the best manager of Gangneung in any FM, unless you get your **** Haibo who apparently isn't Herrera-standard

If you've heard of Mike from FMCV, you'll know you can't be the best manager of Gangneung in any FM, unless you get your **** Haibo who apparently isn't Herrera-standard
I've heard of him. His gangneung and bury saves are top notch and to be honest **** Haibo isn't Hererra standard stat or ability wise but in my opinion he's just as legendary but saavedra and most of the other bury players from that save are up there

Last edited:
new update will be up tomorrow with the results from the playoffs and maybe pre-season

Playoffs and End Of Season Report

Shock in Playoff Semi Finals

Thrilling Playoff final .. but were we involved

Playoff First Round

Gangneung City 1-0 Kimhae
Kim Jung Hyun (35)

Not quite as close as the scoreline suggests absolutely played them off the park just lacked the cutting edge up front.

Playoff Second Round
Gangneung City 4-2 Daejeon KHNP
Kim Dong Hyo
Kim Jung Ho (45+3)
Lee Jung Woon (53)
Kim Jin Man (83)

Really close game. I think scoring just before half time really killed them off. They scored in the 45th minute and I would've been devasted to have gone in level pegging but Kim Jung Ho delivered a hammer blow to their chances by scoring almost straight from the kickoff

Playoff Semi Final
Ulsan HMD 1-4 Gangneung City
Lee Jung Woon
Kim Jung Hyun (8)
Han Dong Hyuk (49,55)

Sensational Stuff! Incredible performance here from the boys. Was really worried coming into this game after our performance against them in the league but we went 2-0 up very early on and just continued to push on from there. Had a momentary wobble when they scored just after half time to make it 2-1 but we scored straight from the kickoff (again) and Han Dong Hyuk closed it out in the 55th minute with the 4th goal

So to the final it with promotion to the K-league secured

Playoff Final First Leg

Gangneung City 1-1 Goyang Kookmin Bank
Na Il Kyoon (5)

Really disapointing performance wanted to go into the second leg with a lead to defend but on the balance of play it was a fair result

Playoff Final Second Leg

Goyang Kookmin Bank (2) 1-2 aet (3) Gangneung City
Kim Dong Hyo (13,95)

Incredible! absolutely stunned we defended brilliantly. We were pinned in our own half most the game but were clinical when it counted 2 shots on target 2 goals.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 295256
Kim Dong Hyo (just for those two goals)

End Of Season Notes

Amazing end to the season gaining promotion and the league title to go with it. Wasn't looking forward to the away leg against Goyang after our 2-0 defeat in the league but the boys managed to put together an incredible performance to ****** the title off them. Really top quality performances from the lads since I've came in 15 wins from a possible 18 and undefeated for the last 11 games of the season.

Awards

N League Player of the season

Kim Won Min (Goyang Kookmin Bank)
Kim Hyo Ki (Ulsan HMD)
Lee Jung Woon (Gangneung City)

N League Manager of the season

James Clyde (Gangneung City)
Lee Woo Hyung (Goyang Kookmin Bank)
Kim Kwi Hwa (Kimhae)

N League Top Goalscorer

Kim Young Nam (Goyang Kookmin Bank) 18
Kim Won Min (Goyang Kookmin Bank) 16
Lee Jung Woon (Gangneung City) 16

N League Team Of The Year

GK: Choo Moo Lim 6.86 (Ulsan HMD)
RB:Yoon Joo Il 7.38 (Suwon City)
CB: Choi Byung Do 7.42 (Ulsan HMD)
CB: Kim Jong Hoon 7.30 (Busan TC)
LB: Kin Jung Kyum 7.17 (Daejeon KHNP)
RM: Lee Jung Woon 7.51 (Gangneung City)
CM: Kim Tae Jin 7.22 (Gangneung City)
CM: Park Joon Hyun 7.25 (Cheonan City)
LM: Kim Jung Hyun 7.29 (Gangneung City)
ST: Kim Won Min 7.71 (Goyang Kookmin Bank)
ST: Kim Young Nam 7.51 (Goyang Kookmin Bank)

Sorry about the lack of picture here my screenshot software was playing up
Gangneung City Player Of The Season

View attachment 295270

Lee Jung Woon

Been amazing for us all season especially since I've been in charge. 16 goals from the right wing and an average rating of 7.51 speaks for itself

Gangneung City Young Player Of The Season
View attachment 295272

Lee Seon Sook

Average rating of 7.11 at just 21 is hopefully a sign of things to come. He's been first rate in DLP role which he has made his own since arriving at the club. I expect big things from him in the future

great achievement this season....I hate starting this challenge with a south african team....I once waited 2 and a half years and got a job for seattle sounders...won the CL and then moved on to flamengo but the save crashed...never had a go at it again.

great achievement this season....I hate starting this challenge with a south african team....I once waited 2 and a half years and got a job for seattle sounders...won the CL and then moved on to flamengo but the save crashed...never had a go at it again.
Thanks everyone seems to be starting with a south african team don't know why nobody goes for anywhere different like south korea or america. belated congratulations on the CL win how did you find the MLS transfer system I tried it on FM 12 but got really confused with the trades and stuff. you should have another go at it and make story

Thanks everyone seems to be starting with a south african team don't know why nobody goes for anywhere different like south korea or america. belated congratulations on the CL win how did you find the MLS transfer system I tried it on FM 12 but got really confused with the trades and stuff. you should have another go at it and make story

hahaha thanks i wouldn't mind doing another story...but no good challenges or teams inspire me...to tell the truth for the first few drafts I was so confused I'd holiday until the next day ;)
luckily i got the CL in season 2 (season4 in the game) and so I was able to move on but it was really confusing :)

Pre Season

So we are in the K-League one step closer to the Champions League.I have set myself two goals for the coming season

Avoid Relegation

Have a decent run in the FA Cup (Quarter Finals or Better)

I think both goals, even though they are both difficult, are acheivable. Anything above exceeding them I will be over the moon

Transfers

We still have a real problem with squad depth so my main aim in the transfer market was to add depth to the squad and clear all the dead wood left behind by previous managers as there is an unreal amount of half star players.

In

Everyone was either free or on loan

View attachment 297200

Bit of depth and experience and will help our leaky defence although his age is a bit of a risk

View attachment 297201

Again brings depth to the squad and a bit of K-League experience

View attachment 297202

Great player, very versatile and can play all up the left side

View attachment 297203

Again more depth and K-league experinence

View attachment 297204

Adds a bit of quality up front looks like he'll be a good target man

View attachment 297205

Again a bit more depth at centre back not the greatest but he'll do

View attachment 297206

Absolute tank really proud of this signing incredible stats and his wages are reasonable

View attachment 297207

Good stats not sure why his coach report is so bad

View attachment 297246

Good player adds more depth as I am looking to play with a DMC this season

View attachment 297283

Good all round player. Can play anywhere on the right side so adds a bit more versatility

Friendlies

Thought I'd organise friendlies against K-league teams so I know the quality that we will be coming up against

Gangneung City
1-1 Seongnam
Yoo Dong Min (25)
Very Happy with the performance against the Champions League winners from 2010 shows we can mix it with the big boys

Gangneung City
0-5 Seoul

Absolutely horrible performance against the current league champions expected to lose but not by that much

Gangneung City 3-3 Jeonbuk
Lee Seul Ki (1)
Kim Tae Jin (12, 45+1)

Good result but I'm really unhappy at the way it came about. We went 2-0 then 3-1 up but then lost 2 goals late on

Gangneung City 2-0 Suwon
Yoo Dong Min (8,78)

Very good result defended superbly and were very clinical.

Gangneung City 2-0 Paju FC
Lee Seul Ki (5)
Yoo Dong Min (11)

Just a confidence booster for the last friendly. dominated them as I expected to, bit dissapointed we couldn't score more goals but it didn't matter in the end

*There will be no monthly updates now instead updates will be every 3 months*

Last edited:
March 2013

Sensational Start to the season
View attachment 300598

Ulsan 2-0 Gangneung City

What I expected to be honest from our first game in the top flight

Gangneung City 2-2 Seongnam
Nankoong Woong (OG 2)
Kim-Jung Hyun (48)

Great result. Although I am slightly disappionted that we let 2 goal lead slip

Gyeongnam 0-1 Gangneung City
Lee Jung Woon (27)

Changed the tactic and it worked brilliantly! brilliant defending. Which was the aim of the tactic

Gangneung City 3-1 Gwangju FC
Kim Jin Man (22, 90+1)
Lee Jung Woon (36)

Brilliant performance after going down early. Kim Jin Man had an absolute stroming game here.

Goyang Kookmin Bank 2-3 Gangneung City
Kim Jung Hyun (11, 81)

Yoo Dong Min (71)

Don't know how we won this game really. They absolutely dominated, but we took our chances and were ultimately more clinical.

Busan 2-2 Gangneung City
Yoo Dong Min (15)
Lee Jung Woon (63)

Great result away from home against the league leaders.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 300599
Kim Jung Hyun

The man has been an absolute beast this month

April 2013

Amazing month for us

We hit the top of the league

Unbeaten run streched to 12 games

View attachment 300931

Jeonbuk 1-1 Gangneung City
Lee Jung Woon (12)

Great result away from home again

Gangneung City 2-0 Gangwon
Yoo Dong Min (48)
Bobo Balde (90+1)

Good solid win against our local rivals

Pohang 2-2 Gangneung City
Kim Jung Hyun (9)
Yoo Dong Min (43)

Another good result away from home

Gangneung City 4-2 Chunnam
Kim Jung Hyun (25)
Park Ji Sung (26)
Lee Jung Woon (45+1)
Yoo Dong Min (90+1)

Great result. Improvements have been made going forward.

Gangneung City 5-1 Incheon
Kim Jung Hyun (15)
Lee Jung Woon (17)
Jeon Seung Hyun (52)
Yoo Dong Min (59)
Kim Jung Ho (88)
Great performance against a team struggling at the bottom of the table. We showed our attacking strengths once again.

Daejeon 0-1 Gangneung City
Kim Jung Hyun (72)

The game could've gone either way here really but we rode our lick and got a result

Gangneung City 3-1 Suwon
Yoo Dong Min (21,78)
Lee Jung Woon (24)

Brilliant performance here from the lads. Absolutely played them of the park, which is a real acheivment against a team of Suwon's calibre.

League Table
View attachment 301014

As you can see we are sitting second in the table with a game in hand. To be honest I'm shocked at how well we're coping. This has made me hope/dream that the CL is acheivable in 3 seasons but I don't want to get ahead of myself as we could easily hit a bad patch and fall right down the table

Player Of The Month

View attachment 301022

Kim Jung Ho

Been An Absolute rock at the back and has chipped in with a goal

Back