the PERFECT barcelona...

• Thread starter Thread starter rrj2415
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 5K

rrj2415

Reaction score
so... i have been looking through many barcelona threads about their tactics and everyone seems to concentrate on either possession, or just getting lots of passes (mainly xavi). No one has actually concentrated on the whole of their game, like the centre backs going wide, fabregas's vital role (i am very surprised no one has concentrated on this) and other things really for e.g. on fm when ur cb's have to ball under pressure they just tend to hoof the ball out of play when they could ive it simply to gk?... im not asking one person to come up with the PERFECT barcelona tactic, but people could all try out differant things that people havnt tried, and comment them on here... if people did that, we could put all of them together and actually play like the catalans..

Barcelona's style of play is SO fluid that can't really be replicated in FM. For example Cesc plays as a AMC, but is very often found in the right or left wing. I'm not even mentioning Messi's total lack of tactical restriction or his position swap with Iniesta. For now, the FM tactic creator just doesn't seem to cover such a wide variety of instructions.

A few idea's I've had:

setting 2 MC's to run from deep 'sometimes' and getting them to swap positions with each other, you could also set them to be more of a box to box midfielder (in a short passing team, I find that this means they will get between the lines) or set one to be much more attacking than the other (in mentality), this could make it easier for them to drift in to space (and with them swapping, cause even more problems) which should help fluidity a little.

Getting players to pass to the GK might need a few PPM's to counteract the games natural decision making or whatever it is that causes it.

You could always try setting CB's to 'hug touchline', that might cause them to 'split' (I don't know the technical term for it).

Its impossible to fully recreate Barcelona in FM but its certainly fun to take some ideas from them (and Athletic!)

so... i have been looking through many barcelona threads about their tactics and everyone seems to concentrate on either possession, or just getting lots of passes (mainly xavi). No one has actually concentrated on the whole of their game, like the centre backs going wide, fabregas's vital role (i am very surprised no one has concentrated on this) and other things really for e.g. on fm when ur cb's have to ball under pressure they just tend to hoof the ball out of play when they could ive it simply to gk?... im not asking one person to come up with the PERFECT barcelona tactic, but people could all try out differant things that people havnt tried, and comment them on here... if people did that, we could put all of them together and actually play like the catalans..

I have just created a Barca style tactic that does what has been said above.... its the 3-4-3 style that Guardiola has been implementing this season..
check it out let me know what you think

I have made 433 style with CB's going wide ... it actually has to do with the width that the team play with rather than setting the CB's to Hug touchline, this is because the CB's are not based in the wide areas.

what PPM's do you think should be used?:)
A few idea's I've had:

setting 2 MC's to run from deep 'sometimes' and getting them to swap positions with each other, you could also set them to be more of a box to box midfielder (in a short passing team, I find that this means they will get between the lines) or set one to be much more attacking than the other (in mentality), this could make it easier for them to drift in to space (and with them swapping, cause even more problems) which should help fluidity a little.

Getting players to pass to the GK might need a few PPM's to counteract the games natural decision making or whatever it is that causes it.

You could always try setting CB's to 'hug touchline', that might cause them to 'split' (I don't know the technical term for it).

Its impossible to fully recreate Barcelona in FM but its certainly fun to take some ideas from them (and Athletic!)

there is so much variation in barça's tactic that it's very difficult to copy it. For example: The AMR/AML stays the whole match near to the touchline and the fullback goes up to the point where the AMR/AML is and then he cuts inside to provide either a cross or a pass. But how can you edit your tactic on order to create such a situation. Always when Alves joins the attack Abidal is going into a back three line and sometimes vice-versa.You can't copy every movement of the players, but the barça tactic is made by all these movements

what PPM's do you think should be used?:)

Im not sure if any of 'avoid using weaker foot', 'play simple passing game', 'slow down play' or 'avoid playing through balls' would help, or if they would contradict each other but they seem like the most obvious options.

Right now I'm not tryin g to recreate Barcelona but I am using a 4-1-2-3 with 3 strikers and with the right width this means the goal keeper has to kick the ball long from goal kicks (having no options to pass too), which helps with pressing (what to view Barcelona's tactic as within FM is debatable it can translate into a 4-1-2-3, or a 4-5-1 (4-3-3) (or you can use the 3-4-3 formation they use)).

in fm, is there a way for players to press opposition together, as when i usually press opposition, my players just go one for one

The problem with trying to emulate Barcelona's tactics is that they in real life use two very different micro-tactics in game, one for in possession (wide shape, slower tempo) and another for out of possession (narrow team shape, extremely high tempo, pressing furiously hard) I have found no way to make this work in FM but hopefully in the future editions one will be able to use micro-management. However, of all my attempts to get something at least similar, I was very surprised to see which one of my test-tactics worked the best. I don't have save of it, but I remember it was constructed with the "contain" strategy", using a 2 (cd's) -2 (wb's)-3 (dm, cm, cm) -2 (if's) - 1 (po) formation then using player's individual instructions to counter the highly defensive nature of the contain strategy. I remember I clicked counter attack, used playmaker and a lot of shouts. So basically, the strategy called for my team to sit back and keep possession, but at the same time the individual instructions made them more attacking. I might try to create it once again and if I succeed I'll share it here with you.

It's a case of good timing; the whole family, kids and wife leaving for three days and I have no work I have do. I suspect I'll spend the occasional hour with FM12! :)

anybody got any ideas of individual player instructions of the more important player to get them playing like in real life?

Back