The Pistol Formation: Away Tactic (2014 Update)

• Thread starter Zesta
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 25K
Z

Zesta

Tactic - http://rapidgator.net/file/8036d36e251726a4778c6d685b1a3ad7/Newcastle.tac.html

Hope everyone is enjoying the beta. On the whole my impressions of this year's version are strong, and the only area of the game I'm suffering with is the skin.

That said, I've found it difficult to achieve success in the game thus far. Like many, I suspect that I've been far too adventurous with my tactics, leaving the door open to concede loads. Thankfully I dusted off and modified my tactics from 2013 (The Pistol Formation) and transformed Newcastle into the best defence in the division.

Formation

You'll see that I've implemented a version of the 3-5-2, which I've styled as more of a 3-5-1-1. Key points to consider;

• Wing backs offer the width.
  • Three solid centre halves all playing as limited defenders...the middle of the three offers cover.
  • Use the teams defensive midfielders to break up the play. Use an anchor man, ball winning midfielder and deep lying playmaker as this trio.
  • Advanced playmaker sits behind the advanced forward.
  • I've offered no additional player instructions. Having tried this beforehand, it seems as though offering additional player instructions can be counter-intuitive.

Team Instructions

I'd previously used tonnes of these in my previous saves but enjoyed no consistency. At Liverpool, I had the top scoring side in the league, but also conceded the most.

In this tactic I've streamlined the instructions, using only the following;

• More direct passing
  • Hit early crosses
  • Exploit the flanks
  • Play wider
  • Drop deeper
  • Hassle opponents
  • Get stuck in
  • Higher tempo
  • Be more disciplined

Results

Bearing in mind I was at Newcastle, I consider the season - and tactics - a great success. After being top through the first 9 games, we tailed off due to injuries and finished 9th.

However the main benefit of the tactic is the defensive stats. We only conceded 27 goals in the season, with 16 clean sheets. Best defence in the league and a Golden Glove for Tim Krul.

I used the tactic for both home and away matches, and going forward I believe this will be a tremendous away tactic to use for any team at any level.

Clearly where I need to get better is scoring goals at home, as our results were average, however to only lose 8 away games as Newcastle is a decent start.

Players

Newcastle have the players to make this work from day 1, with Santon and Debuchy acting as key men in the WBL & WBR spots. Both had great seasons, with Santon ultimately going for ?30m to PSG at the end of the season.

Due to the physical style of the tactic, you'll need able deputies to rotate. I picked up Matt Lowton from Villa for about ?4m for the WBR, and converted Haidara to WBL and he did a job.

As the WBL & WBR are so heavily involved in the play, the players value inflates hugely. I'll be picking up Gino Peruzzi for season 2, and taking a huge bid for Debuchy whose ability rating seems to be dropping.

I managed to get a decent South American defender called Eder Alvarez Balanta, left footed with loads of potential. Had a great first season, displaced Coloccini and is already getting sniffed at by Champions League elite teams.

Summary

As said earlier, this is a tactic that's worth trying if you're struggling to keep clean sheets. I recommend it as an away tactic only for stronger teams, but play it 100% of the time for mid-table and weaker teams.

Regarding training, I use attack movement for home games, and away games where I'm the best team...and defensive positioning for all others. At the start of the season, set your training to more match training to get the tactic as fluid as possible.

Hope this works for you.

Last edited:
thanks i wil try it whit juventus. Do you thunk i can use tevez *** shadow striker behinde the striker?

I think you can. The wing backs get early crosses in. If you've got Vucinic or someone contesting the crosses, Tevez could be lethal coming onto the 2nd ball.

great, i will start a new game now. Will post updates and questions along the way :)

I am thinking llorente on the top as an tagetman :)

Set by assistant. However I adjust them during the match if in trouble. Closing down wingers, show to other foot etc...

ok starting a new save with liverpool.

first game 4-0 against southampton, enrique motm with 1 goal 3 assists lol.

Any chance anyone can upload somewhere better like mediafire? Tried to download but keeps saying captcha error, try again in 120 minutes.

This is the kind of tactic i like. Looks good mate i will have to give it a go with Newcastle as well :D

Do you change the mentality for home or away games? I enjoy counter attack formations and have used something sort of similar with Napoli.

A few suggestions though, is the anchor man not a bit wasted with three at the back? Regista would offer more going forward and still keep that extra body in there. Rigid formation on counter i think would work better away from home.

I think for teams with better technical midfielders, promoting the AM to Regista or even a Half Back would work great. Can't wait to try it with Pirlo at Juve.

At Newcastle, Anita & Tiote both try and play their way out of trouble, so the AM slot caters to the players. Don't swap the mentality at all as it's more of an away tactic. Tried to open it up a bit on control, but we started conceding at a frightening pace.

Sounds good i am just starting a season now and i will post a few screenshots when i get them. I think for home games i will move the anchor man to another striker to offer a more attacking threat.