The Pride of the East .... My FC Twente Story

Reaction score
View attachment 251276

Michel Preud’homme sacked by FC Twente!

View attachment 251277

At a press conference earlier today at De Grolsch Veste, Joop Munsterman told reporter’s from the BBC & Sky Sports that they have decided to replace Preud’homme and that the reason behind the decision was his inability to achieve the goal’s the board set out at the beginning of the season. Munsterman was quoted at the press conference that they will seek a young manager who share the same ambitions and idea’s as the board, someone who can add some silverware to the trophy cabinet at De Grolsch Veste. He gave no timeline as to when a new manager would be announced but said they will call a press conference immediately once the new man has agreed a contract.

Press Conference

20 June 2011

“Thank you all for being here this afternoon, we have identified our new manager, he is someone who we believe can take this club into the future and start something special here at FC Twente. He’s very eager to get to work, he has a vast knowledge of the game as a player. Playing for Cruz Azul at a very early age and then at Espanyol where his playing career ended much to short because of a foot injury. He has been on Mauricio Pochettino’s staff for the last couple of year’s as a coach and with that being said I would like to introduce Mr. Andrew Owen. He will take a couple of questions and we will wrap this up so we can get to work. Come on up Andrew.”

Andrew Owen:

Dennis Weghorst (dutch-football.com)

“Hello Mr. Owen, welcome to Enschede. This is a massive club, with no managerial experience to your name until now, how do you plan to handle the pressures that come with a job of this magnitude?”

Andrew Owen (Manager)

“Pressure is a natural thing that all managers in this business deal with regardless of which club you are in charge of. All I can do is come here, work hard and make sure my players are ready to play ninety minutes plus every single match. We will train hard, we will play hard and we will do everything that a team needs to do to win at this level.”

Peter Bekking (Sky Sports)

“Andrew, good afternoon. That being said do you plan on keeping any of the current staff or would you prefer to bring your own staff in? Also do you have any idea of which players will stay and which players will have to move on?”

Andrew Owen (Manager)

“Well seeing as I have not had time to meet the current staff yet or the players I can’t comment on which members off the staff will stay or go and the same applies to the players here at FC Twente. Obviously I want the best possible staff and the best possible players that fit the type of football we are going to implement here at Twente.”

Erik Mulder (The Dutch News)

“Andrew, what type of football do you plan on playing here at Twente, which formations will you run and what will the mentality be behind these said formations?”

Andrew Owen (Manager)

“I’m not sure at this point, I need to meet with the current staff and decide who stays and who will be moving on. I think it will be more of a collective effort and which ever formation we decide to use it will have to suite the players and their strong points. The mentality is always the same thing, win! I do appreciate the questions and the warm welcome to the Netherlands, nice meeting you all, I’m sure I’ll see you all soon.”

View attachment 251401

Pre Season Report

Friendly's

FC Twente vs. Dayton Dutch Lions

0-0 Draw

FC Twente were left deeply frustrated by a plucky Dayton Dutch Lions FC outfit who withstood a ninety minute barrage to come away from Miami Valley South Stadium with a 0-0 draw.

FC Twente were nearly handed the lead in the 87th minute after Erik Kissinger's lapse in concentration but failed to capitalize.

Twente had a number of chances at goal but their profligancy meant they didn't score anything.

FC Twente vs. Chiasso

2-1 Win

FC Twente showed their superiority in a 2-1 win over FC Chiasso during their friendly match at Stadio Comunale, but they could and should have scored more. 2 goals from Luuk de Jong helped FC Twente to victory.

Striker Luuk de Jong gave Twente the lead with a shot from eighteen yards out in the 20th minute. de Jong added his 2nd goal of the night with a tap in at the 25th minute.

Player Nicola Rochat's 43rd minute strike proved the only concolation for FC Chiasso. Chiasson were nearly gifted a goal in the 87th minute when Buyesse gave the ball away in the final third but they once again failed to capitalize on the mistake from Twente.

FC Twente vs. Porto

3-4 Loss

Despite battling hard, FC Twente were unable to prevent superior FC Porto from coming awat with a victory. Two goals from Hulk helped Porto on their way to winning on this evening.

Things did not get off to a good start for Twente as Porto's Cristian Rodriguez scored from the spot after Dwight Tiendalli had given away a penalty. Winger Hulk doubled Porto's lead with a fierce shot in the 22nd minute.

An error from Twente's Nikolay Mihaylov allowed tenacious defensive midfielder Fernando to score a well timed close range finish.Austria captain Marc Janko pulled one back for FC Twente after 51 minutes with a close range diving header which hit the inside of the post before crossing the line.

Hulk added his 2nd goal of the game with a close range header in the 62nd minute. Young striker Ninos Gouriye pulled another back for Twente in the 74th minute of play.

Another young striker Joey Steenbergen gave the Twente fans a glimmer of hope after 89 minutes with a magnificent chip over the keeper from the edge of the box.

C Libertad vs. FC Twente

1-7 Win

FC Twente fans celebrated an emphatic 7-1 win at Doctor Nicolas Leoz this evening. This match will be remembered as a remarkable display of goal scoring from Twente's Danny Welbeck who is on loan from Manchester United, scoring 4 goals in total.

Mame Biram Diouf who is also at Twente and on loan from Man U got on the scoring sheet in the 41st minute.

Forward Ninos Gouriye completed the rout with a deftly executed shot in the 84th minute.

Cercle Brugge vs. FC Twente

0-2 Win

Twente enjoyed near total domination over distinctly average Cercle Brugge at Jan Breydelstadion this morning.
FC Twente finally took the lead when striker Danny Welbeck scored a tidy finish in the 48th minute. Rosales had no trouble scoring from the spot when Cornelis gave away the penalty.

KAA Gent vs. FC Twente

2-1 Loss

A gritty performance by KAA Gent saw them come away from Jules Ottenstadion with a 2-1 victory.

Forward Mame Biram Diouf gave Twente the lead with a finish tucked away with conssumate ease in the 14th minute.

Midfielder Tim Smolders then equalized for KAA Gent in the 45th minute on the stroke of halftime with an effort that was deflected in by a Twente defender.

Defender Marco Suler scored what proved to be the winning goal in the 63rd minute with a header from close range.

FC Twente vs. STVV

2-0 Win

FC Twente were hardly challenged by an STVV squad that was far out of their league in this match.

FC Twente captain Peter Wisgerhof's red card in the 12th minute put FC Twente's position under question. Winger Nacer Chadli gave Twente the lead with a powerful effort from teh edge of the area in the 24th minute.

An error from K Sint Truidense VV's Sascha Kotysch allowed young centre back Thijs Bouma to score a header from close range.

View attachment 251402

Back