The Return of the King- Jamie Carragher at Liverpool

Reaction score
Just want to say first that this game uses LFCMarshall's FM13 transfer update- so many thanks for the effort put into this database!

View attachment 382309

Rodgers Resigns- Carra takes reigns!

_45783210_liverpool_226.gif

There were mixed feelings of shock, disappointment and confusion today as Brendan Rodgers stepped down as Liverpool boss today. The 39 year old, who managed Swansea, Reading and Watford before the reds, is believed to have been left fuming over the boards acceptance of a £45million bid from Real Madrid for star striker Luis Suarez. Although he refused to comment to our reporters, Rodgers reportedly feels humiliated and betrayed by the board after he asserted that Suarez would not leave as long as he was manager.
View attachment 474993

However, confusion soon turned to excitement when owner John Henry announced shortly after that club legend Jamie Carragher had been appointed as manager on a one year contract.

video-jamie-carragher-on-his-lfc-goodbye-250x137.jpg

The former England centre-back, who made 737 appearances for the club over a 17 year career, has been tasked with bringing European football back to Liverpool, whilst focusing on a policy of bringing through youth and playing attractive, passing football. Carragher had this to say to local paper The Liverpool Echo:

Obviously I'm made up to have this oppertunity. It's a dream come true really. Retiring from the game was the hardest decision I ever made and I feel so lucky to have been given this chance to stay at the club that have given me so much. I want to repay the faith the board have shown in me by taking Liverpool back to the very top.

Carragher was also pressed to share his plans for the future, and his stance on the ongoing Suarez saga:

Every player has his price. If the player wants to leave, and we've had an offer that matches his value, then I won't stand in his way and I'll do everything I can to reinvest that money back into our squad. I want to give local kids a chance, and eventually implement a Barcelona-style system into the club. I hope this will help benefit the national team in the future as well, as we all know English football is in a state at the minute.

Carragher has confirmed that former assistant Francisco Ayestaran will return as his No.2, and that backroom staff members Mike Marsh, Andy O'Boyle, Jordan Milsom, Glen Driscoll, Ryland Morgans and a number of scouts have been released from the club my mutual termination.

More to follow...